Water filters for backpack hunting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience/reviews for backcountry water filters? We are heading out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunting trip and are planning on backpacking in and camping. I don't want to be bringing in any more water weight than I have to, to start with. I want the weight to be no more than a pound if possible and as small as possible, but still able to work efficiently to fill a couple water bladders when needed. I have my options narrowed down to four filters.
MSR Hyperflow, MSR Sweetwater, Katadyn vario, or Katadyn Hiker Pro.
Any thoughts about water filters?

I have a "life straw" that I picked up on clearance when a local camping store was going out of business. It takes up hardly any room, but I have yet to actually use it so can't add much more than that. They supposedly work well.

I’ve used the Katadyn Hiker Pro since before it was a Katadyn, I don’t have a single bad thing to say about it. I’d buy one again if I had to.

I used to use a Hiker Pro and it is indeed a great filter. However, a couple of years ago I switched to a Sawyer Squeeze and have no regrets. It only weighs a couple of ounces and does the job perfectly.
Cheers,
Scot

A buddy of mine went to Peru on a guided hiking trip. All he brought was a lifestraw, which he used. The cook would prepare the group's water each morning, and would test the water temperature with his unwashed hand. My buddy was running for the latrine constantly.

MSR guardian for me, fellas..

For Colorado.... x2 Sawyer Squeeze

lifestraw

I have something like the MSR miniworks. What I like about it is the filter is a ceramic cartridge that can be cleaned (scrubbed) in the field. Also the outlet will screw onto a widemouth nalgene water bottle or bladder.

I don't have experience with the new hollow fiber membranes to know how long they last. And it will depend on how clean your water source is--rivers are usually cleaner than lakes from the perspective of algae and other membrane fouling organisms.

I didn't like managing a piece of tubing for the outlet. You have to keep it out of the source water, and try and keep it inside the bottle or bladder and keep these from falling over. This goes away when you can screw the container onto the outlet of the filter.

While the lifestraw looks like a nice survival tool, it doesn't appear you can fill a canteen with it. You can only drink when you are at the water source?

Katadyn base camp gravity filter. I've used msr and katadyn pump filters and will never go back. Pump filters are way too time consuming. With the base camp you fill the bag and hang it in a tree and filter at your convenience. I backpack several times a year, also use it car camping and at forest service cabins in. the winter

Lifestraw Family is the one I use. If you need something that will remove viruses, this is the way to go - I dont think there is any other reputable purifier that will remove viruses for less than $75, or even double that price. I also like the fact that I can just set it up and walk away to do other stuff instead of sitting there pumping. The flow isnt that fast however, 3-3.5 gallons/hr. We used it successfully in 3rd world countries and I'm still here and healthy to prove that it works. I found that a water bladder will just plug into the end of the hose to replace the bulky plastic bucket thing.

Last edited:
Another vote for life straw. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry (hunting, fishing, camping, bike, ski,...) with my kids for days to weeks at a time. I keep an MSR guardian filter (and UV pen) at base camp and travel with a life straw and wide mouth Nalgine bottle. Fill the bottle with dirty water and use the straw. I’ve also gotten Sawyer online filters and use them with our camelbacks as the kids prefer camelbacks.

I’ll also mention I used the pump filters for years and the life straw and/or inline replaces the pump any time I’m on the move. I know many guys that around here where water sources are plentiful don’t even carry a bottle just life straw from the source.

LifeStraw LSFX01GB01 is what I use. I brought this backpack on a trip to PA It is lightweight, easy to use and eco-friendly. It filters really well, the water tastes so good! I would recommend anyone to bring this gravity pack with you on any trip.

Katadyn base camp gravity filter. I've used msr and katadyn pump filters and will never go back. Pump filters are way too time consuming. With the base camp you fill the bag and hang it in a tree and filter at your convenience. I backpack several times a year, also use it car camping and at forest service cabins in. the winter
I use this as well as the Hiker Pro. Great for groups as well as car camping. Both live in the truck most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom