Warning lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me what the combination of 4LO (flashing) with the check engine light and "TRAC OFF" means?

I'm currently driving through Italy and this came on out of nowhere.

Thanks for any help!

image-747616950.jpg

Sounds like your driving in 4LO! Check your dial and switch to 4hi. 4lo is intended for low speeds. How long have u been in 4lo? If u have been driving at higher speeds in 4lo it can't be good for your engine.

Sounds like your driving in 4LO! Check your dial and switch to 4hi. 4lo is intended for low speeds. How long have u been in 4lo? If u have been driving at higher speeds in 4lo it can't be good for your engine.

Ummmmm no.

Usually that combo is called 'the Christmas Tree' which basically means the pressure in the fuel tank (fuel system) is not there or enough. In another words...you didn't click the gas cap when you filled up last time.

Shut off the truck....take the gas cap off, put it back on and MAKE SURE it clicks...then start the car again.

Should be good from there. You MIGHT and I mean MIGHT, need to go to the dealership to clear the code..but most likely should be fine.

I can be totally wrong and something else can be wrong...but most likely that is all it is.

Ummmmm no.

Usually that combo is called 'the Christmas Tree' which basically means the pressure in the fuel tank (fuel system) is not there or enough. In another words...you didn't click the gas cap when you filled up last time.

Shut off the truck....take the gas cap off, put it back on and MAKE SURE it clicks...then start the car again.

Should be good from there. You MIGHT and I mean MIGHT, need to go to the dealership to clear the code..but most likely should be fine.

I can be totally wrong and something else can be wrong...but most likely that is all it is.

Also what you say makes sense. My wife politely reminded me that I filled up in haste yesterday....I just got an appointment at the local toyota dealer in Brescia tomorrow a.m. Wish me luck :))

Nice distraction JM.... Lol

I'm still betting its an 'open air fuel injection...' etc. ie: fuel cap not tightened all the way and that the computer code needs to be reset.

Bets anyone??

Because as stated here..... I seem to know everything and am arrogant. :flipoff2:

I would like to say that if someone would talk to me via voice.... they would realize that the 'ummmmm' comments by me are more like....'hmmmmmmm' and is more like me throwing out another idea. Not me saying something like "**** no you are wrong and I am right!"

But since this is the internet and that stuff cannot come across correctly at all....I can honestly say....ummmmmmm ok whatever. LOL

As I tell my kids...want to surf the net...learn how to get thick skin!

error codes are:
P0172
P0175
P1604

Now, the first 2 are permanent errors that continue to show up when the comp connected to the LC which the dealer says he can do nothing about however they do not cause the christmas tree to light-up; my guess is that it's related to the the UNICHIP.
last code listed above could be bad fuel according to the dealer in the village i went to here in Italy, however if you ask me, it WAS INDEED THE FUEL CAP not being tightened down combined with the temperature reaching 85+ degrees F

i'm going to say THANK YOU and :cheers::clap:to dtt25!! well done and more importantly, much appreciated!!!!

I appreciate any other feedback on these codes

thank you in advance

Folks please stop belittling each other and please stick to the tech topic at hand.

The chick stays. The most reasonable contribution to this thread.

:)

:cheers:

Folks please stop belittling each other and please stick to the tech topic at hand.

The chick stays. The most reasonable contribution to this thread.

:)

You are so not fun :p:p

Had the same thing happen again today. Barely could keep her running after I started her and once she warmed up the Christmas tree lit right up and a moment when she almost stalled.

She's also shifting very rough.... ;-(

Had the same thing happen again today. Barely could keep her running after I started her and once she warmed up the Christmas tree lit right up and a moment when she almost stalled.

She's also shifting very rough.... ;-(

Ok after reporting this I am going with NOT a fuel cap issue. You need toyota to figure this out. Sounds like a fuel issue, but I don't know for sure.

Ok after reporting this I am going with NOT a fuel cap issue. You need toyota to figure this out. Sounds like a fuel issue, but I don't know for sure.

That's what the guys at UNICHIP suspect (Bad Fuel); i've since filled-up with 2 tanks of 98RON and now that i am back home will top-up with 100RON and get the bad stuff out completely. Annoying to say the least (1500Miles now on my LC)

thanks as always :cheers:

Last edited:
That's what the guys at UNICHIP suspect (Bad Fuel); i've since filled-up with 2 tanks of 98RON and now that i am back home will top-up with 100RON and get the bad stuff out completely. Annoying to say the least (1500Miles now on my LC)

thanks as always :cheers:

Have you chipped your truck...that could be the issue.

Also, I was under the impression these things were built to run on bad gas. Most of the areas they are sold or enter wouldn't have good gas. I've put nothing but 87 in mine.

Have you chipped your truck...that could be the issue.

Also, I was under the impression these things were built to run on bad gas. Most of the areas they are sold or enter wouldn't have good gas. I've put nothing but 87 in mine.

yes, it's been chipped along with TRD Supercharger, therefore will be slightly more sensitive to the gas being used. now shifts very rough too. i proposed to unichip to send me a new unit and i would return this one if this error happens and the rough shifting is not sorted.

Any idea why the permanent codes mentioned above (P0172 and P0175)?

Last edited:
So now after every fill-up the check engine light comes on. I clear it myself but this is ridiculous and the dealer tells me my truck is running too rich?!?!

Any insight?

So now after every fill-up the check engine light comes on. I clear it myself but this is ridiculous and the dealer tells me my truck is running too rich?!?!

Any insight?

Faulty gas cap? If the gas cap is left loose or does not properly seal, the check engine light will come on after driving a few miles.

Faulty gas cap? If the gas cap is left loose or does not properly seal, the check engine light will come on after driving a few miles.

i go so far as to "click" it 2 or even 3 times to make sure it is tightened correctly.

filled-up again today, and again same bloody thing! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

is there maybe an issue with sending unit or other possible issues in the gas tank itself?

thanks for your insight!

If the fault was in the cap, sending unit or tank then I would expect the code to reappear just after being cleared simply because the fault would still be present. No?

If the fault was in the cap, sending unit or tank then I would expect the code to reappear just after being cleared simply because the fault would still be present. No?

what's odd is that there are 3 codes permanently on stand-by, 2 of which are the right and left banks of the engine block running "too rich". 3000miles and the problem simply doesn't go away. i'm grateful for my gopoint/dash command to clear the code otherwise would be an even worse nightmare

Last edited:
Are the codes from the O2 sensors in exhaust? If so, then it seems like the set up is incorrect. Since you have a chip and a supercharger---welcome to the land of multiple bellybuttons. Not a good place to be. Can you remove the chip in an attempt to employ a scientific process of elimination? Having installed a TRD Supercharger myself in the past that option seems less feasible.

Edit: The good news is that you are getting a wonderful story for your lore book out of this.

Are the codes from the O2 sensors in exhaust? If so, then it seems like the set up is incorrect. Since you have a chip and a supercharger---welcome to the land of multiple bellybuttons. Not a good place to be. Can you remove the chip in an attempt to employ a scientific process of elimination? Having installed a TRD Supercharger myself in the past that option seems less feasible.

Edit: The good news is that you are getting a wonderful story for your lore book out of this.

chillbit,
thanks!

i have done as instructed by UNICHIP, and no luck. it won't even start when the UNICHIP is unplugged. this problem happened for the first time at 1000miles within minutes of a a fill-up and has never been fixed. UNICHIP is sending me over a brand new unit and a cable so that the dealer here in Switzerland can connect a computer to the UNICHIP if required.

frustrating at best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom