Warn 5687 Bellview dissasembly to fix oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help/tips on dissasembly on a Warn 5687. Anybody got some good pics from working on theirs? I've already seen the manual on here. Winch works good and I think I only need to take the outside gear case cover plate off to stop an oil leak.

I've got an old Warn Bellview 5687 8k winch on my 73 40. The winch came with the truck and I couldn't get it running for the first year I had it....didn't spend too much time on it. I finally got around to looking into it and thanks to some friends (Dom, Noah, Brett and Shane) we got the thing running great again.....save one problem, it leaks oil like crazy. We filled it when we worked on it a couple weeks ago and now the thing is slowly weeping all the oil back out slowly. Seems to be coming from the area where the main gear case and the outside gear case cover plate meet one another. It might also be leaking out of the side of the gear shaft but it is pretty hard to tell. The meeting of the two cases is a large area so I'm not surprised there is a leak there. Looks like I just need to put a little bead of silicone sealant between the two halves and I want to replace the screws with stainless steel. The Bellview manual on here is great but it is kind of hard to see the illustrations and a little vague. I just want to know what items will I need to remove or gaskets should I have on hand to get these two halves apart to re-seal them? Looks like it will probably be necessary to take the brake drum parts, most of the wiring, etc. off before pulling the plate. Looks like I will prob need to also take the winch off its mount as well.

Again anyone got any pics of this? I am just trying to save breaking any clips, gaskets, etc. since this winch is so old and I don't want to source new parts for it.

Will try to post some pics mananna.

Thanks!

Be careful when removing the bolts on the case. Some may be corroded and can snap off if forced. I broke off one of mine :doh:, but got the case sealed up so it will not leak. The rest is pretty straight forward. Do it in a clean area so you can find the needle bearings if/when they fall out. Grease them to allow them to stick inside the race when assembling.

Reversible%20Belleview]Bellview Tech, the 8274's daddy - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Some good general tech in there plus a reversible mod.
I did the reversible mod outlined above. However, I found after using my winch that the lack of an automatic brake makes this winch dangerous in some situations, and if you are not quick with the manual brake and you let cable tension spin the motor backwards too fast, it will expand the windings and lock the motor up. (Ask me how I know).

IMO this Bellview is cool old school stuff, and fine for the occasional un-stucking or pulling someone out of the mud, but not appropriate for rock crawling/ serious trail use.

I don't know what your intent is, but I wish someone had told me the above before I invested time and money into mine.

Good luck!
:beer:

Hell yeah Bailey those pics help a ton, thanks! The exploded view in the manual on here is too crazy looking to go by. Zen, will definitely watch out for those bearings and yes I already broke off one of the bolts trying to tighten the case up more before deciding to take it apart. Gonna replace all the bolts with SS.

Not planning on doing any rock crawling with the winch just want it for some light duty stuff.

Glad to help.

It is a seriously fast winch just like its descendant the 8274, and should last a long time.

One more tidbit-Mcmaster has clutch lining that can be used for the manual brake. Mine was missing when i got my winch. There is also a company in Minnesota that owns the patent on these things now (warn sold it) and they stock parts and have some know-how. If you need the name I might be able to dig it up.

Cool, thanks! I think the number is written on the manual someone scanned on here? Assuming it is the same company.

Thinking this should be pretty simple to fix, just didn't want to break any gaskets, clips,etc. in the dissasembly that I would have to replace.

One more tidbit-Mcmaster has clutch lining that can be used for the manual brake. Mine was missing when i got my winch.

Great info! I just started rebuilding a Warn 5687 winch, and the brake lining on the external brake is missing off of my winch too.

How did you attach the new lining (from McMaster) to the brake band assembly?

I had some adhesive sealant laying around called "Seal-All," gave it a shot and it worked.

Only used the Bellview a couple times before I decided it was dangerous for my purposes and pulled it off, so I didn't test the brake very well, but it seemed to work fine.

Mcmaster even had clutch lining in a strip that (IIRC) fit the shoe without any trimming.

Good Luck!

So I finally got around to fixing the leak on this winch when I did my head gasket project. Man, it had a lot of oil in it. After cleaning up a bit I can now clearly see the fill line on the side. Here are two shots of the two halves when the winch is cracked apart. I wanted to post these pics on here in case someone else is wondering about working on theirs. Pretty simple and easy to work with. You can see where the old permatex sealant failed on mine. As warned be careful with the "little rods" in the one bearing (circled in red) or they will fall out. Not a big deal but just make sure you put them back together before re-assembling. I would also suggest taking the winch off the bumper...I didn't do this and it was kind of a pain in the ass.

Also I broke one of the bolts heads off during disassembly. Worked for 2 hours trying to figure out how to get it out with no luck. Finally sprayed it with some PB Blaster let it sit overnight then hit it with a propane torch for about a minute and it came right out.
WinchInsideWeb.jpg
WinchInsideWeb2.jpg

I had some adhesive sealant laying around called "Seal-All," gave it a shot and it worked.

Only used the Bellview a couple times before I decided it was dangerous for my purposes and pulled it off, so I didn't test the brake very well, but it seemed to work fine.

Mcmaster even had clutch lining in a strip that (IIRC) fit the shoe without any trimming.

Good Luck!

how do I get the motor out ? It’s stuck like this. The end spins freely but won’t come off.

1FF1D0C6-C9BB-47DB-9EFF-181B42009530.jpeg

Be careful when removing the bolts on the case. Some may be corroded and can snap off if forced. I broke off one of mine :doh:, but got the case sealed up so it will not leak. The rest is pretty straight forward. Do it in a clean area so you can find the needle bearings if/when they fall out. Grease them to allow them to stick inside the race when assembling.

how do I get this piece off the top so I can pull the motor out. Is it a screw or what?

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom