craigslist WA: 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys, I'm a new member to these forums and have been primarily lurking and researching. Went through an long internal debate of pre / post 2003, nav, 4/5 speed tranny etc.

I've finally decided I could care less about the nav/no nav and just want a decent vehicle. I couldn't find any LX 470s (my first choice), so I'm looking for a Land Cruiser. I found a nice color 2004 from a dealer ship in Kirkland with 178989 miles and supposedly 1 owner. The price seems a little steep though, they're asking for $18,995.

Can someone please provide some opinion?

link to ad: 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD --Navi, DVD, 3rd Row, 1owner--

Thanks!

I've been tracking list prices for 100 series (both Land Cruisers and LX 470's) on my local classifieds (Utah) for about nine months now. A 2003-2005 LC or LX with approximately 170000 miles is typically listed between $12000-$16000 with the average price being $14587. Granted I'm in a completely different market, those numbers are from sample size of 9, and condition/maintenance affects price drastically but it seems quite a bit over priced to me and I'd pass based on that alone. I'm also a cheapskate so take everything I've said with a grain of salt.

I've looked at a couple LCs at that dealer in the past and was not impressed with them or with the vehicles, which struck me as way overpriced. Did you see this one? 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't know anything about it but it's been up on Craigslist for a few weeks.

I've looked at a couple LCs at that dealer in the past and was not impressed with them or with the vehicles, which struck me as way overpriced. Did you see this one? 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't know anything about it but it's been up on Craigslist for a few weeks.

Thanks! I didn't see this one from Woodinville for some reason :confused: . I'm going to reach out to the ad and see if I can check it out in person.

Do you have any tips on what I can do for a general sanity inspection? I haven't actually had a chance to inspect one in person yet... just generally seeing them in parking lots and online ...

I found a couple others.

2001 LX 470 - 163677 miles asking $13,000:

2004 LC - 188000 miles asking $16995:

Another option is to see if Torfab in Everett can do a PPI for you. They know LCs inside and out.

All I can say is research... then read some more, when you think you know just about everything regarding each years different subtle changes, problems, Fixs, Quirks and Not so good things, Keep reading. Pm few members key questions and keep reading.
At some point You will acquire just enough knowledge to know you don’t yet have wisdom about the 100 series and Then Start searching for the rite one for you. Miles/Build/engine/locker?/Trans 4-5.
Eventually you will get into a 100 and learn something you never knew

All I can say is research... then read some more, when you think you know just about everything regarding each years different subtle changes, problems, Fixs, Quirks and Not so good things, Keep reading. Pm few members key questions and keep reading.
At some point You will acquire just enough knowledge to know you don’t yet have wisdom about the 100 series and Then Start searching for the rite one for you. Miles/Build/engine/locker?/Trans 4-5.
Eventually you will get into a 100 and learn something you never knew

Hey, thanks! I'll try but having never owned a truck, it's little tough to absorb all of it. At the same time, I have that bug to start building something I would enjoy in my own way asap 😅 .

If you spend hours and hours learning the nuances you'll be in a situation where you want such a specific version that you'll never find it, or wait years looking.

The minimum criteria should be one from a dry climate with good service records. Low mileage and and as few owners as possible helps too. But even these are not mission critical. Beyond that, it's all gravy.

Check in with some 100 owners locally to see if you can drive a pre-03, 03-05 and 06+ to determine drivetrain desires, if any.

After you buy, expect to drop money into it getting it baselined, whether you do the work yourself or not. I think I paid a bit too much for my '03 but it was low mileage with good records and no rust. I wanted a 5 speed but didn't necessarily need VVT-i. That helped with narrowing down years. After purchasing I spent money paying someone with expertise (Slee) to inspect and baseline it. Then I started modifying on my own--lift, armor, etc. Then I spent some more money having an expert do some scheduled maintenance, mostly because I lacked the time to do it myself, but also because he's much more capable. What I'm saying is, you're buying a brick sh*thouse of a truck but it's going to have seen at least a decade of use so be prepared.

If you spend hours and hours learning the nuances you'll be in a situation where you want such a specific version that you'll never find it, or wait years looking.

The minimum criteria should be one from a dry climate with good service records. Low mileage and and as few owners as possible helps too. But even these are not mission critical. Beyond that, it's all gravy.

Check in with some 100 owners locally to see if you can drive a pre-03, 03-05 and 06+ to determine drivetrain desires, if any.

After you buy, expect to drop money into it getting it baselined, whether you do the work yourself or not. I think I paid a bit too much for my '03 but it was low mileage with good records and no rust. I wanted a 5 speed but didn't necessarily need VVT-i. That helped with narrowing down years. After purchasing I spent money paying someone with expertise (Slee) to inspect and baseline it. Then I started modifying on my own--lift, armor, etc. Then I spent some more money having an expert do some scheduled maintenance, mostly because I lacked the time to do it myself, but also because he's much more capable. What I'm saying is, you're buying a brick sh*thouse of a truck but it's going to have seen at least a decade of use so be prepared.

Dude, thanks for this. I have been researching a bunch and locked myself into a specific combination for the truck I want and started to feel like nothing would meet the criteria. This way I will actually have a better chance of owning one.

Now, I'm looking at all of them that have a public CarFax to view. Unfortunately for me, they all seem to have more than 4 owners. Even saw one with inconsistent mileage reports 😰.

I dont know if you have looked at the GX470 but they are the same drivetrain and just a little smaller and lighter. I have owned a GX and an LX and they are both excellent. I am considering going back to the Land cruiser or tundra for more space to haul stuff for work but know I will miss the better MPG and extra zip the GX has because it is lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom