Vortec 5-cyl? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone thought about GM's 3.5L inline-5 for an FJ40 swap? Comes with a 4L60E, seems to have plenty of power, and should yield really good mileage in a 40, no?

I have noticed that the PS pump is on the passenger side of the motor, but other than that, seems reasonably doable.

Looking for thoughts or comments...I may try and git this swap lined up soon.

Thanks!:popcorn:

:doh: YOU KNOW I NEVER THOUGHT OF IT WE HAVE A H3 AND ACTUALLY LIKE THE MOTOR NO PROBLEMS GOOD POWER,WHATS THE PRICE ON A MOTOR?

I've seen 'em all over Ebay for around $1K; some full engine/trans/transfer/ECM setups for under $2K.

Anybody heard any longer-term reliability reports for the I-5?

let me make sure my caps lock is not on...... we have the h3 and have had about 20000 miles on it so far with zero problems

How about the I6 in the TrailBlazer? One more cylinder and sumthin like 30 more hp.

Both those motors get s*** for mileage.:doh: But most TrailBlazers are driven by drivers who seem to be "qualifying":lol:

wouldn't the inline 6 weigh less because of the lack of balance shafts, the I-5 has a couple as far as I know, I-6 are inherently balanced down to 3rd order vibrations whereas most others suck, it's also the reason for v-12's balanced to 6th order I think it was.

I read many years ago about how these 5 cylinder engines in volvo's and audi's(or maybe anther euro car) had a fantastic smooth running ablilty. I don't know anything about this new chevy I5 though. Sounds interesting but what would be the advantage over the 4.3 v6? torque maybe? Is this a similar bolt up pattern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom