FJ40 2F Inside Camera Probe View of Cyl #3… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
What do you think about the crud at the top of the cylinder? Normal? Also, how about the scoring on the cylinder wall?

Crud?

Doesn't seem too bad; I have seen far worse.

I do not see 'scoring'. The cross-hatching looks to be in decent shape

There may be slight vertical marking at the 1 o'clock, but this vid did not focus on that.

What was the reason for the video? Crud on the piston top should not effect compression. Rings/cylinder wall, valves/valve seats and head gasket effect compression in most cases.

Crud?

Doesn't seem too bad; I have seen far worse.

I do not see 'scoring'. The cross-hatching looks to be in decent shape

There may be slight vertical marking at the 1 o'clock, but this vid did not focus on that.
I was expecting to see a smooth piston top with only carbon deposits. The crud I was referring to is the brownish residue…

Thanks for clarifying the bore wall as “cross hatch“. That’s the scoring I saw.

I had no idea the bore was cross hatched with stone to get that texture so the steel rings can seat.

IMG_2084.jpeg

What was the reason for the video? Crud on the piston top should not affect compression. Rings/cylinder wall, valves/valve seats and head gasket affect compression in most cases.
The reason for video was two fold: First, I wanted to see if any coolant was entering cylinder after shut down as white smoke was coming out exhaust when engine first starts (did not smell sweet like coolant).. Second, I bought the camera probe for $19 and had to test it.

IMG_1523.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a normal engine with some miles on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom