Vortec 4.8L V8 in a 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I see these crate engines on AA's site built and ready to run with MPI and 300 HP.

What's the actual story on these engines, if any of you have used them?

M

after talking with a couple of people from AA, my understanding is that in order to run the new ODBIII motors in our old rigs, you need to swap in a compatible tranny, i.e. one that will "talk" with the new computer.

the Toyota OEM tranny apparently will not work as the new motor/computer/harness has too many sensors and unlike OBDI motors, monitors and solicits feedback from many more sources to regulate engine function and fuel/air management.

so, if you are game for a new tranny and a solid exercise in automotive wiring, these might not be a bad way to go.....

just sharing what I've been told, take it for what it's worth... ;)

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

They make piggyback computers to control GM auto computer controlled trannies if you need to do that. I would put a GM trans behind that 4.8 for simplicity.... as you only need to mod the driveshafts and get an adapter to the stock Tcase.

A manual GM transmission doesn't need any computer assistance to work.

People put old school Th350/TH400/powerglides behind LS1's which share the same computer as the 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines with no problems.

I'm planning on putting an LS1 (346ci all alum V8) into my FJ60 with an NV4500 or 4L80E. There is plenty of room... you could probably put a big block in there.... and still be lighter than the 2F.

-Mark

Hmmmm... No way I'm givng up the H55F. Maybe a Mark's adapter, which would allow the tranny and tcase to stay in the same position...

The question is whether these engines can be set up so that they will run properly with a Manual tranny. The electronics need to know what speed the truck is moving, etc.

M

Mike -
Are these engines priced comparably to the old 5.7s?

If not, do you know how to tell the pioneers?

There the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Mechanic friend of mine who was supposed to do my Vortec really gave me a hard time when I told him I'd rather have a Tundra motor: said "why don't you try something REALLY hard?"

Tinker

The engines are new and complete - except for AC and PS. They include ECM and harness. The prices are $4K to about $6K. On offer are 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L engines.

AA says that they are intended for use in a variety of swaps... I have a call in to learn more, but the specs are sparse, they do not say who finished these engines, etc.

If it's "really hard" is what I want to know - along with the specs.

M

Search here for engine/trannies at great prices nationwide:
http://www.car-part.com/

'99+ Silverado and other trucks came with the LSx 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines. Some had NV4500's behind them plus 4L80E's as well.... ;) The LS1 aluminum block has the same bellhousing pattern as these iron blocks and weighs over 70lbs less..... the cranks are all the same.. the bore sizes differ.... stock cast cranks have made over 1000rwhp+ repeatedly WITHOUT FAILURE to the tune of 8.1's@170mph+ in custom turbo F-bodies.

The ignition system has individual coil packs for better efficiency and individual cylinder spark energy. All the gaskets in the engines aside from the head gaskets (in some models) are reusable! And the PCM (engine computers) can all be reprogrammed to work with larger displacement engines if you went from a 4.8 to a 6.0+ sized LSx setup.

These are some incredible engines that GM finally ran through their tooling programs. They are the most fuel efficient and powerful GM engines ever made for their size. The cylinder heads as cast flow excellent factory stock.

Jeg's has new 260 hp 350s with carburetors & ignition for $2K, and a 350 hp fuelie for $4,900. I paid $2,200 for a 1999 Vortec 5.7 & 4wd 4L60E including all accessories & computer with allegedly 40K mi, delivered.

You're wise to reconsider gas - I'm afraid the diesel guys will be in for a rude awakening in about a year due to the new low-sulphur law.

I spoke again with AA and they said that Mark's is working on an adapter for GM bell housing to toy H42/H55 but it is not ready yet. A VSS would also be needed for the ECM to monitor the speed at the Tcase. They estimated mileage on the 4.8L Vortec in a 60 with OD at 17 - 18 MPG with 87 octane fuel.

I then called Turnkey Engine Supply, who builds these engines, and they had no specs on the 4.8L, and estimated the mileage in the "low teens". The engine requires 91 octane fuel.

This is not a viable option for me, Back to investigating turbodiesel power.

M

Tinker said:
Jeg's has new 260 hp 350s with carburetors & ignition for $2K, and a 350 hp fuelie for $4,900. I paid $2,200 for a 1999 Vortec 5.7 & 4wd 4L60E including all accessories & computer with allegedly 40K mi, delivered.

You're wise to reconsider gas - I'm afraid the diesel guys will be in for a rude awakening in about a year due to the new low-sulphur law.

Where did you find an engine and tranny for that price delivered. I'm thinking at some point I'd like a 350 & GM auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom