Voltmeter on the fritz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Craftsmen digital voltmeter. I was testing the spark plug wires/coil on an old motorcycle I have and I think I screwed it up.
I connected the positive lead to the spark plug wire and grounded to the engine case. Hit the starter and the display went haywire and then blank. I checked and replaced the fuse, put in a new battery and still nothing.
I discussed this with my neighbor and he told me you cannot test "pulsing" power sources with a digital voltmeter, you have to use an analog.

Is this correct?
Is my voltmeter toast?

Well, you probably overloaded the internal circuits of the voltmeter. Most voltmeters can't handle that high of a voltage that is being produced at the spark plug.

Jesse

Bummer

That is like 20k volts + no multimeter will stand up to that unless it has a high tension lead attachment. When i say no multimeter I mean common meter. like a Fluke 77 fluke 23 etc.
If you are lucky the fuse inside will blow on the fluke. I have seen it blown by peeps checking voltag with em set on ohms.

Ah yes; 20k volts. Really wakes u up. Will also fry internal diodes and chips of voltmeters that are not eqpt with high voltage test leads.

U now have a gadget that can be used for target practice...

Thanks guys, guess I'm in the market for a voltmeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom