voltage regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mwalls54

Cruiser Nutjob
SILVER Star
Threads
ok just picked up a voltage regulator from advance auto and i am not sure its the right one? if it is can some one tell me what wires i need to hook up. here are some pics

one more

So, your point is?

I need to know what application you want to go with. What year? Is it stock? If not then what is it? Biggest question is why adv auto? Mattell of Auto Parts

its a 74 fj40 that is stock. the regulator on it now has three screws two on one side and one on the other i dont think its stock. i guess what i am asking is in the pics is that a stock regulator for a 74 fj40 or is it for a newer 40? I am trying to get this thing back to stock as much as i can. and the reason i go with advance is because i worked there for 2 years and i "knock on wood" has never had a problem with any part. i also dont buy the cheap on the shelf parts i always dig the books out and specail order.

If you want it stock, that's not stock. Your description of what your old one sounds stock to me.

Here are two pictures of a new (napa) stock '74 voltage reg mounted in the stock location, plugged into stock harness on a stock 40.
voltage%20reg2.jpg

Voltage%20Reg.jpg

Oh yeah don't worry about the blue wire, it is for a capacitor that was installed to suppress noise for the stock radios. You really don't need it, the power supply on new head units are much better and suppress any noise by themselves.

Just a FWIW the OEM voltage regs from Toyota are like $18, you also can still(if needed) get the old type with the screw terminals. There is also a good solid state replacement you can use, its for a Chysler of some type(sorry I forget which)

Check Tech, there is a writeup on the chrysler electronic voltage reg.
The mech. stockers are fine, electronic is an upgrade, but a new mechanical works good enough.
I will eventually probably go to a 60/62 internally regulated alternator.
I refuse to put anything domestic on my truck. (other than an SM420 :D)

thanks for the help, the regulator i have is for a 80 and newer fj40. found it about 4am this morning. oh and did napa have it in stock?

with out seeing a pic of the old voltage reg...this is some what a guess but.....with what you are describing a direct bolt on reg would be a earlier one from a 1970....what is the brand name and part number of the one one recieved from advance.....i would need to know this in order to advise on quality and if this is the correct part for your truck...... :cheers:

[quote author=mwalls54 link=board=1;threadid=9216;start=msg80313#msg80313 date=1072365196]
thanks for the help, the regulator i have is for a 80 and newer fj40. found it about 4am this morning. oh and did napa have it in stock?
[/quote]
Yep.
While your at it I would go ahead and get alternator brushes and replace those as well.
With new brushes and a new, albeit mechanical reg, your charging system will be at its best without major change.

i am putting a new alternator on as well the one i have is the factory alternator and its rusted pretty good.

ok here is the one that was on the cruzer. one of the screws has IG and the other has F they are on the same side. and the other side has one screw with no markings. i dont even know if it was hooked up right to start with. here is a pic of the old regulator.

here is a pic of the bottom.

that is the early model.....ask for one for a 1970 and it should be match your existing wiring....example part number would be Niehoff WA735 from Advance

bolted up new alternator and wired up the old regulator and it seems to work just fine. i am still going to check in tomorrow for the correct amps and voltage coming out. thanks for all the help
Matt

Amp ratings are only a capacity. The only way you can get an alternator to produce max amperage is if the circuit (ie your car) needs it. I wouldn't even bother testing amperage if I was you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom