Viscous coupler, good or bad (1 Viewer)

I put a transmission/tranfercase from a 97 LC into my 99 4runner. When I took it for a test drive I forgot to lock the CDL (no front drive shaft yet) but it still moved and made it around the block and back to the garage but very slowly.

Should the truck of moved at all and does that speak to the condition of the viscous coupler being good or bad. :cheers:

It should move but not with full power. That is how it should operate with only one shaft. Like it is slipping. It should operate like normal with one shaft and the CD locked.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is how it is supposed to be with one shaft and no locked dif. That is how mine works :)

Yes that is how it is supposed to act. Good to know that the VC can handle a trip around the block without heating up too much to lock up the VC.

Yes that is how it is supposed to act. Good to know that the VC can handle a trip around the block without heating up too much to lock up the VC.

It can handle a lot more than that. I won't tell you how I know that.

It can handle a lot more than that. I won't tell you how I know that.

X2, know of a few that have been driven/slipped further than I would have thought they would go and still work. Have removed a couple of dead ones, this is what the inside looks like.

VC_1.jpg

VC_2.jpg

VC_3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom