Vintage in TT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know that TJK has a lot of magazine experience, so I'm sure he has either encountered similiar situations before or know someone that has. (perhaps a big assumption on my part, but TJK is a bright and super guy).

If a magazine continues to sell advertising space to a vendor it WILL be viewed as the magazine endorses the vendor. Yes, the magazine may have a comment in it somewhere that states this is not the case, but that comment is there because folks do view it that way. If you don't think this is the case, then why do advertisers get banned from other magazines? Yes, it does happen.

Regardless of what happens, I think threads like this are important. After all, it gives the TLCA folks some input. The originator of this thread thought it was important enough to let others know, and so have all the contributors.

You mean Gumby or Greg?

I beleive this is Greg Mushro
Mushro-Allan.jpg

Mushro2.jpg

http://dealersedge.com/acatalog/Dealersedge_com__Auto_Retailing_On_The_Web_V_18.html

Looks like a college professor! Nice tweed duds. Dude is good, very good...bad man but good at his chosen field. I always thought myself a good judge of character and that I had a discerning knack. Cruiser took me off my game, couldn't overcome my cruiser lust! Oh yeah baby!

This isn't a witch hunt! Its a free society and I doubt anyone would waste thier time lynching this futz unless they could end up with a few nice cruisers....I didn't mean that....bye.

If the guy is artificially inflating his prices to attract a certain demographic (rich people), then I say hats off to him, that capitalism.
He certainly wouldn't be the first person to artificially inflate prices, remember the pet rock.
If he's lying or deceiving his customers to get those prices, then I hope he gets his just reward.
As for the TLCA accepting money for ads in the TT, again capitalism. I don't think its the place of the TLCA to decide if somone has shady business practices. I'll bet that there are only a handful of his customers that felt they were screwed. Most probably believe they walked away on the better end of the deal.

That said, it sounds to me like the guy is the scum of the earth. I think that junk summed it best:
Personally, I consider him a sinister relative of the troll from cornholeconnection.com... asti the human anthrax.

[quote author=fjcruiser link=board=10;threadid=7707;start=msg79846#msg79846 date=1072248486]
As for the TLCA accepting money for ads in the TT, again capitalism. I don't think its the place of the TLCA to decide if somone has shady business practices. [/quote]

if Toyota Trails was "just" a for-profit magazine, then I'd agree. But it's not...it's an international club newsletter, reaching a specific demographic of enthusiasts who JOINED A CLUB and received a membership number. Because of this, TT and TLCA needs to take note of member concerns...and address them.

If you read enough of his ads, and you have any experience with old cruisers, you know in your heart he is advertising trucks that are too good to be true. You just know there can't be so many rust-free, the finest example of a cruiser you'll ever find, low milage trucks. Right now, he is advertising a "Totally Rot Free" parts truck that has rot right in the pictures he uses. He throws around terms like that are clearly not true.

But, not only do we just get a niggling FEELing of doubt in our little minds, we have testimonials from several people who have nothing to gain from their stories but the knowledge that someone else may be warned off. And they are just confirming what we already suspect.

Why should someone who is misrepresenting what he is selling be allowed to get away with it? This isn't a witch hunt. It is a grassroots level exposure of fraudulent advertising.

There's a fine line between capitalism and swindling. Everyone knew what they were getting with a pet rock, a novelty. Greg really isn't any different then most used car salesman in the fact he has to paint as positive picture as possible of his product to keep the cash flow going. As with anything else it comes down to "buyer beware". I agree with fjcruiser that many people probably felt they got a good deal. In reality probably not, but Greg sales the ease and convience of finding than purchasing a hard to locate item, tells them what they want to hear, takes their cash and gives them the out-a-sight warranty deal. The criminal aspect comes in when the product has been misrepresented and he fails to make good. That is why he should be banned from Trails. My .02 cents.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=10;threadid=7707;start=msg80013#msg80013 date=1072288972]
Here's a question.
Does the Toyota Trails want us to support their advertisers?

Can we support any of them if we know the only reason TT endorses them is the ad dollars?
[/quote]
Excellent point. As was the fact that the TT is a club newsletter. Carrying these ads in OUR club newsletter is optional. It's not a free speech, capitalism, free market or buyer beware issue. Drop his ads now and give the other vendors the credibility they deserve. Many of them are an important part of (or supportive of) the Land Cruiser community. Then we can all go back to recommending TT advertisers to our friends. When given the choice, I buy from the vendors that advertise and tell them I'm doing so becuase they support the TLCA.

We've all heard/read the rants about SOR or MAF over the years. But those rants sounds different. The issues are different. All vendors deserve a fair shake. A few individual complaints should be tolerated and there are two sides to every story. These Vintageoffroad rants don't sound like the usual whinning or poor customer service complaints. They sound like legit warnings.

Someone said, WE are being used. He's advertising in the TT to find sellers, not buyers. This guy is not part of our cruiser community, he's using us for his personal gain. I say we opt out.

It's a big nasty world out there, let him operate outside the TT and our big Happy Family. :)

As was the fact that the TT is a club newsletter

Good point Pismojim, At some point in the past the TT turned into a magazine. It grew to be about more than the Landcruiser. The mag seemed to want to open it self up to more Toyota subscribers and more advertisers... I am sure Tony can chime in on this with more detail. newsletter/magazine?

Just read all about it...........

Well, in Facts its true that he´s advertising in TT and its even true or at least very obviuos that he´s a swindeler.

So youre looking for someone to blame ............

First and foremost its HIM, the Dealer Mr. Hogsbreath whatever Dir&%nogood§astard$unt !!
* But what do you exspect? He´s a Car-Dealer !!*

The other side..... why dont *Newcomers* take a moment to decide and ask an experienced Person to go with them when buying a Car-Truck-Whatever ??

I understand that Dan is pi$$ed of about him but the last people to blame is TT, when some magazine is showing Ads for Horses and you find out that it was a overpriced, older than promised and ill ....... would you even blame the magazine ?
:eek:
When you buy a Car just believe to what you see and hear yourself, never trust the Seller . If you cant decide whats wrong or right with a car, take some friend who knows.

Its no good for TT to have Costumers like him but i guess after the discussion about him here, guess he´s gonna quit that anyway.
TT needs money, just like him, like you, like me , the difference is that most folks can sleep well after work..........
;)

*Sorry for my bad typing....used to work with a east-londoner for 7 years... :slap: *

Missunderstood a bit FJ-40garage. Lots of stuff to get in on, its a big thread.

Point is I didn't know about TT nor was I TLCA member until after getting my truck. His add in TT legitimized my purchase at that point in my cruiser naievity. In no way do I hold anyone responsible but myself. I was a victim of my own stupidity.

Many people do not become fully educated in a new interest until they have bought the "starter Kit". My kit was really expensive :eek:

Regardless of who he is marketing to, his practices are shady. Even a rich man gets pissed when screwed out of an honest earned dollar. Don't bring the "its ok to screw the rich" card into this discussion. Thier money is better spent on an honest cruiser biz.

Everyone is making great point. I think this is a valuable discussion in principle and fact. You all know where I am on this.

Damn! I still love my overpriced cruiser! :D

Hi Dan,

*Don't bring the "its ok to screw the rich" card into this discussion.*

......i would never ever do that ! SORRY if it did appear like that !!

I got cheated by someone like him a few years ago when i sold a car and after all it did cost me a lot of money, i just hate these people .
Since that time i am very awared in these things and lost any trust in people that deal with cars, i learned my lesson just like you.

I guess a discussion on the web is the best way to prevent future buyers from dealing with him ! Its virtually impossible to get them with laws & lawyers but theres other ways..... :cheers:

Nor are hasty generalizations alway appropriate. There are greedy crooks in every line of business. How many docs have been busted, or should be for milking medicare?

The point is who do we want on our side and representing this community?

it is free speech, club or not and we don't know how much of a stink he would make if we told him he couldn't advertise, so i'm sticking with the idea of we place our own ad stating that many tlca members do not support his tactics or his business.

Have to disagree with you there, Ige. I don't think free speech extends to fraudulent advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom