Vehicle recovery with an 80 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kharma, Man.....Kharma.

Don't go looking for people to help out of some money. Just get them going.

:cheers:
Dave

Last year someone posted a link to a video showing a guy in a pickup trying to snatch a black Saturn coupe, I think, from a snow bank, and he yanked the entire rear bumper and body structure off the car. Very scary for the owner, who was sort of helping in a clueless way.

I have no idea if there was a law suit afterwards, or gunshots.

Anyone got a current link?

John Davies

I know the video...it wasn't a Saturn, it was a Geo Storm and I believe a Dakota pickup getting him out.

The thing was that the genuis kids didn't attach the strap hook to the little eyehook on the car, they attached it to a piece of the bumper cover...lol.

Yeah, ripped the ENTIRE rear end including the taillights and all off the back of it.

I love how it ends with the kid saying "I TOLD YOU TO STOP SOOOO MANY TIMES...." You could just about hear the point that he burst into tears.

I guess it's sad for him, but it was quite a hilarious video passed around on other forums...I'll see if I can find it.

Did something much more minor to a guy's Scirocco S a decade or more ago. He'd come tearing down the street of our little town and high centered himself on a snow berm down the middle of the street. I offered to help despite my feelings on his asinine driving. Since I was in nice clothes, I violated my own rules by handing him the end of the strap and suggesting he wrap it around his rear suspension assembly. He crawled around in the snow for a bit and came out. I asked him if he'd gotten it around the entire suspension and he nodded while looking away in that manner of the chronic liar. Should have stopped there.

I gently pulled the strap tight and was going to straight pull him out (no snatching needed) but there was a metallic screech and the strap went slack. I got out and an exhaust bracket and a couple feet of his exhaust pipe were laying there in the snow and he's screaming invectives. He'd just wrapped it around a sheetmetal bracket. I unhooked my strap and just drove off. What a bonehead.

DougM

When I was a senior in highschool I had a 4Runner. One night my buddy and I left my house and as we came around a curve there was a neon setting across a drainage ditch during a light snow storm. I stopped and asked if he needed help and he indicated he did. I hooked my strap around his rear control arms on one side and had him look at it and approve my routing, then I pulled him out. Turns out he was a pizza guy and gave us a couple of pizzas for pulling him.

CodyRx7 said:
The thing was that the genuis kids didn't attach the strap hook to the little eyehook on the car, they attached it to a piece of the bumper cover...lol.

Have watched that video many times and is WAS hooked to the factory tow loop. It did not just tear off the bumper cover but the entire rear unibody bulk head.

Pulled 3 cars out this winter so far - been fun evrytime- no tips but that is not why I do it. This last time, I was at church and some guy in a 2wd Blazer had slid down this hill by the parking lot into a bank. I offered to help so I pulled my strap out and went to hook it to the rear and found no tow loop, nothing to hook up to. This video went through my mind as I tried to find a place to hold onto him. I had to decline to help him. Sad but there was nothing I could do.

SOOOO . . . Where can you strap onto if there is no hook or loop? Where is the best place that will cause the least problems?

Thanks -

Derek

I have pulled a couple of cars out of the ditch as well. The last persons I pulled out seemed to be lost. They wouldn't put the Truck (Trailblazer new) in reverse to help get it out so I did it the hard way. Had to yell at the guy to put it in reverse, then give it a little gas et al. There are times when being a good samaritan is worth it then there are those times when you wish you would had passed the opportunity. Personally for situations where they deserve what they got I say charge em... :D they were greatful, but annoying...

Well last year I yanked out a mazda protege during a nasty storm. The guy was about 15 feet off the road and had gone through a 1.5 to 2 foot plow drift.

In 4 low and locked CDL, I couldn't even feel him back there while pulling.

If I had seen that video before I pulled him out I would have passed. I will probably pass on pulling out unibodies now. Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't ever ask or accept money, helping people out is a generally good karma thing. You might even make a new friend. I would also bet good samaritan laws would also protect you from lawsuits if no money is passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom