VDO Ammeter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to install a stand alone VDO ammeter on steering column. As mention in related posts on the subject, have replaced OEM instrument cluster with Dolphin/Shark instruments thru BTB products, mainly because tired of not being able to see info. A night . Hope these new instruments solve this problem. At the time, didn't really understand what I was getting into but with help from BTB and this great site, think I have most of the wiring issues worked out. Also, at the time, didn't understand difference between Voltmeter & Ammeter, now have decided I want both. My Dolphin has a Voltmeter, therefore the VDO ammeter looks good to me, no external shunt required, per advertising, therefore assuming internal to gauge. Want to mount this on the steering column similar to the way many of you have mounted a tach. Where can I find a mount that would work and what, if any, our your thoughts on the VDO ammeter?

Remember, all the current flowing in and out of the battery to the chassis has to pass through the amp meter with an internal shunt. That means that you will need to run some large gauge wire to the meter. If your truck is before '79, you will have the large gauge wires at the dash panel anyway so you may only need to extend them a few inches. If you have a later year cruiser, you want an external shunt meter.

Remember, all the current flowing in and out of the battery to the chassis has to pass through the amp meter with an internal shunt. That means that you will need to run some large gauge wire to the meter. If your truck is before '79, you will have the large gauge wires at the dash panel anyway so you may only need to extend them a few inches. If you have a later year cruiser, you want an external shunt meter.
Thanks Pin_Head, yes I do plan on using existing W & WL wires, route them thru the dash V right above steering column mtg. Brkt. On bottom of the dash. Think existing wires just long enough if I keep new ammeter location on steering column either at 12 o'clock position or slightly to the left at 11 o'clock. What's your understanding of VDO'S statement that their ammeter doesn't require a external shunt. Uncomfortable having all those AMPS under dash but that was original design and truck has been on the road for 37 years now with no problems and at 74 there a far worse ways to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom