Valve adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, another newby Question
Here is something that I have'nt seen on the board yet. I was woundering about a valve adjustment on my LX 450 about 76k. How often do they need to be adjusted? I was thinking of checking the clearance myself to see if it needed an adjustment(I don't think I'll adjust them myself if they are out of adjustment). How difficult of a job is it to check them? What do I need to check them, Ie. tools, feeler gauges, new valve cover gasket? How difficult would it be to adjust them if they were out of adjustment? #6 looked like it might be a PAIN.
BTW Its not making any abnormal noises, I just don't think that they have been checked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My FSM states that valve clearances are to be inspected/adjusted every 60,000 miles. I would not suggest that this task be attempted without a manual to refer to. You should replace the valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals when you remove the valve cover. It is necessary to drain the coolant and remove the throttle body to get the valve cover off (unless you have a blower ::) ). Checking the clearances is a matter of setting the # 1 piston at TDC and checking the valves indicated in the manual and then rotating the crank 360 degrees and checking the rest. If the clearances need to be adjusted there is a special tool set to remove the shims (except for the rearmost valves in # 6 cyinder. The camshafts must be removed to get to those.)
A DIY'er should allow most of a day for the project, that is if the cams don't need to come out :ugh: . I put mine off til about 92,000 miles, my whole rack was within spec.

This is not a job for the faint of heart :eek:

You will need the intake chamber to throttle body gasket if the throttle body is removed. On the 94 I didn't drain the coolant and I only lost less than a cup of it. You will need sealant to seal the cam seals.

Has anyone ever had to have them adjusted? 220k mi and still in spec.
kurt

Just had mine done, didn't have the inclination to attempt this one myself. Two were out of spec., one too tight and one too loose. a '97 with 120k miles for what it's worth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom