Vague steering feel after lift/wheels/tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to your thoughts on an issue I'm having. Seems like my "simple" install of my King's has had issues every step of the way. It's been a bit challenging to say the least. So I finished installing my lift last night. This morning went to DT and got my new wheels and tires mounted and an alignment afterwards. On the drive home the steering feels vague and wallowy. On turns it feels like steering sticks and takes a while to come back to neutral. I feel like I need to correct it quite a bit. I'm not sure that it feels like it's swaying but it feels less precise and slow to initiate and return when turning the steering wheel. Prior to the lift the LC felt very stable and precise and now it feels quite sloppy. I released the KDSS valves with 2 1/4 turns on each valve before working on the truck and they were tightened back up when on the ground when done. Everything has been torqued back to spec per FSM.

Specs are below
  • King 2.5 Coilovers. Came with 16"x600lb coils. There is zero preload.
    • Rear is King 2.5 as well
  • Total Chaos UCA uniball
  • Dobinsons C59-535 rear coil springs (2-3" lift depending on load)
  • Icon Vector 5 17x8.5 5x150 +25mm offset
  • Toyo Open Country AT3 285/75/17 (34x11.5) Load Range E
Any thoughts on what could be causing this? If I had fubar'd the KDSS system for whatever reason would there be any warning lights or codes? I wonder if I somehow messed something else up outside of the new lift/wheels/tires during the install.

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20221015_215124501.jpg

Last edited:
I would aim for way more caster when lifted like that. But even stock you're on the low end.
Its going to shopping cart like that.

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 5.11.52 PM.png

A few things could use some dialing in.

Alignment
1) Need more caster up front. Caster is the steering centering function and you're on the low end which means less return to center force. Don't need a lot but closer to 3-3.5 would help
2) A bit too much positive camber is exacerbating the +25 offset. Can help if you can get camber closer to 0, or maybe even a touch negative.

Rear axle out of center and need a panhard adjustment bracket. The rear alignment as you can see is not adjustable. But with significant lift creates bad thrust angle and geometry. A panhard bracket just because available thanks to @eimkeith. I would highly recommend this. Note that an adjustable panhard bar, while can help a tad, is not really the full answer.

Beyond that, the coilovers being fully adjustable probably could use some dialing in.

Your cross caster is also incorrect for the LHD USA.

@AnyMal @TeCKis300

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if the alignment shop can make some changes on Monday.

You should find out what caster that total chaos UCA is “preset” for or it maybe a game of cat and mouse getting camber correct with your factory lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom