V8 carb. recommendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a fj40 with a 350 conversion, does anyone have a good recommendation for a carb that doesnt flood out at inclines or high altitudes and is good for street?? Right now Ive got a Carter Arb competition series that seems to cut out at inclines and just seems to be a pain to keep in tune, any input would be appreciated.
Mitch

I understand a degree spacer can help out a lot.

I have a buddy running an holley avenger off road carb deal, has had pretty good luck with it and likes it better then any other carb he put on it. Still not perfect.

FYI; I'm running a Holley 750 on my SBC and it's a little much. With that set-up and the stock 3 speed I managed to destroy everything behind the engine and was forced to do a 700R4 conversion.

Of course...all that is my own damn fault.

quadrajet, junkyard....$25 rebuild kit, $60 or so to rebush the baseplate bushings, probably $25 up front for the part.

Also, read my article on the AFB in tech, there are some tuning tips tha help...however, I finally switched to the q-jet and it was an improvement despite my tweaks.

I went with a new edelbrock on my FJ40 earlier this year...sucks offroad...if I park with the nose down just a little it floods and is hard to restart :rolleyes: I chose this over the Q-jet because I was afraid the Q-jet would load up and have too much CFM for my 283 V8.

My Fj45 has a 327 with a AFB so I could switch them ???

The AFB and Edlebrock Performer are nearly identical....for the Edlebrock, buy the spring loaded needle/seat, block the bowl crossover, lower the floats slightly, and raise the vents as high as possible. The Carter AFB comes stock with the spring-loaded needle/seat, the Performer does not.

thanks!

good info...was I correct to assume the 283 would not handle the Quadra Jet???

ANYTHING is better that the Holley that came on it...I still ride around with my fire extinguisher close by :D

[quote author=Deep South Cruisers link=board=1;threadid=7277;start=msg61172#msg61172 date=1068479902]
good info...was I correct to assume the 283 would not handle the Quadra Jet??? [/quote]

actually, the q-jet was stock on "everything", including the 283, and with their tiny primaries and monster vacuum operated secondaries, they work well on a WIDE size range of motors...

Electronic Fuel Injection is THE answer..!!!

A simple throttle body injection system will continue to run after you flop (better have a kill switch)

Someone could make a lot of $$$$ if they developed a "low performance", simple, one or two barrel injection system for "non-smogged" vehicles.

I use a GM system on my HUMVEE replica, and a Holley Commander 950 system on my 72 FJ40. Both are bullet proof, the Holley system allows "tuning" from a lap top PC (way cool if you like to tweek).

You have to be committed to EFI to install one and make it work the way you want... but having two trail rigs that don't have to be "re-started" every 100 yards sure is nice...!!!

Sorry to hijack the post, but while on the topic of carbs in swapped SBC's....

Do all the carbs on the older 350's have the manual choke? If so, I assume you can just hook it up to the stock cable and you're good to go?

Also, when hooking up the gas pedal, on the stock aisin carb there's a whole series on linkages in order to get the gas to the engine, is it a simpler system on q-jets and the like? (never worked on a v8 before, hence the rook questions)

Thanks

any q-jet can be modified for manual choke, there are kits in every autodroid store...stock cable "should" be long enuf, but possibly not...

I always ran a GM cable to my carbs, and modified the stock pedal/firewall for the installation. Also, carry a spare cable...mine busted once and that $5 junkyard part screwed up most of a day of wheelin...

First of all thanks for all your responses, Ive blocked off the bowl crossovers and readjusted the floats and when I put it in gear and go to take off it wants to die, sort of like its flooded??? I might try bringing the floats a little higher. If this doesnt fix it I will be making a trip to the local pick ur part soon and see if I can cannibilize a Q-jet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom