V6 Hybrid has no alternator? What about dual battery systems then? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mulebarn

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey folks,

I’m trying to do some planning around an upcoming half ton truck purchase for towing a Kimberley Kamper, and I’m wondering about new half tons like the hybrid Tundra and the Ram Hemi eTorque. As I understand it, they don’t have alternators. What does this mean in terms of adding a Redarc BCDC charger/isolator and an auxiliary battery? Would you still simply wire the BCDC to the crank battery, and likewise to the second battery?

There’s a dearth of information on dual battery systems in Ram trucks in general, and the new Tundra is so new it makes sense that there’s little info to date.

Thanks,
Gino

I just got this info back from Redarc.

In vehicles such as this, they are starting to use a DC-DC convertor to charge a ‘Starting/Crank’ battery and also power the electronics in the truck, so yes correct they do not always use a traditional alternator setup.

The main thing that the BCDC1225D would require is a source that can provide a solid 25A+ (ideally up to 36A approx.) for its input side; so basically as long as the DC-DC convertor can provide this plus more it should work perfectly fine with the BCDC.

Another thing to confirm as well would be the voltage that said convertor provides to the system; BCDC requires between 9-32V to come on and charge, so if it can provide almost a normal 13-14V feed to the unit this will be appropriate too. We will also need an Ignition feed to the Blue wire on the unit; this will be a source that has constant 12V on it when the engine is running and then goes down to 0V when it is turned off.

You may need to get some information to clarify those points from RAM or Toyota to be fair and even ask them about the suitability of setting up a Dual Battery system too. We wouldn’t want to go against their recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom