V-Rock Descent 70 vs 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I added a couple more you-tube clips of Jason's 80 and my (in need of a Marlin toy box) BJ70 descending V-Rock. Quite a difference between the SWB leaf sprung truck and the LWB coil sprung truck. Jason didn't lift a wheel and I had two off the rock at the some time despite having the same line. There don't seem to be a lot of options for a crawl ratio with a 5 speed. I'm leaning toward the Marlin if they get it produced soon. The Orion is ideal but not compatible with the five speed. The Marks gears look expensive when you can get a whole crawl box for $2000 plus or minus which is what some of the posts place gear cost at. Oh well, I've got all winter to make my mind up while I'm welding sheet metal patches in the 70.

YouTube - Diesel 80 Series on V-Rock

YouTube - V Rock two wheel lift

Another possible option for gear reduction would be the Advance Adapters "rock box" I think they call it?

ROCKCRAWLER.com: Advance Adapters Cruiser Crawler Rock Box

Advance Adapters Rock Box install - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

Toyota Land Cruiser Low Gearing Options | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

Well it looks like it might not be available for the 70 series. But if you want to put all that in a sprung over, 350 powered, sm465 40 series, I just happen to know where one is :)

I was interested in how level the body stayed on my truck on the way down. I would have to attribute some of that to having the front swaybar disconnected. I'll be setting up some simple disconnects soon. I could really feel the extra sway driving down the highway in the heavy wind the other day, so I won't be removing the bar completely.

Another possible option for gear reduction would be the Advance Adapters "rock box" I think they call it?

ROCKCRAWLER.com: Advance Adapters Cruiser Crawler Rock Box

Advance Adapters Rock Box install - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

Toyota Land Cruiser Low Gearing Options | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

Well it looks like it might not be available for the 70 series. But if you want to put all that in a sprung over, 350 powered, sm465 40 series, I just happen to know where one is :)

I sure don't have the room for another truck right now. That seems to be the issue, not many options for the five speed. :mad:

I wouldn't be dissapointed with that articulation. Better than alot. I've seen way worse on the V. You should see my IFS Runner...its as stiff as a plank.

ham

I sure don't have the room for another truck right now. That seems to be the issue, not many options for the five speed. :mad:

I would double check with Marlin, because I am pretty sure I heard they came out with the toybox for the five speed now.
Cheers,
Deny

I would double check with Marlin, because I am pretty sure I heard they came out with the toybox for the five speed now.
Cheers,
Deny

He made it, I don't think there's been any available for quite a while now. The H55F Toybox isn't even on their website right now :-(

Bruce L and Peter S both have them in their 74s. It'd be good to get some feedback from longer term users that have racked up some miles with one on board...

I added a couple more you-tube clips of Jason's 80 and my (in need of a Marlin toy box) BJ70 descending V-Rock. Quite a difference between the SWB leaf sprung truck and the LWB coil sprung truck. Jason didn't lift a wheel and I had two off the rock at the some time despite having the same line. There don't seem to be a lot of options for a crawl ratio with a 5 speed. I'm leaning toward the Marlin if they get it produced soon. The Orion is ideal but not compatible with the five speed. The Marks gears look expensive when you can get a whole crawl box for $2000 plus or minus which is what some of the posts place gear cost at. Oh well, I've got all winter to make my mind up while I'm welding sheet metal patches in the 70.

YouTube - Diesel 80 Series on V-Rock

YouTube - V Rock two wheel lift

The Toybox has a higher install cost than the Marks. The Marks is almost a bolt-in the truck. The Toybox, pull tranny and T-case, drive shaft shortening and lengthening, speedo cable lengthening, extra shifter boot/knob, need to fabricate a new skid plate (the t-case is now pushed 7” back and very exposed), T-case shifter extension, and the exhaust system may need to be modified. –The Toybox is for serious rock crawling.

The Toybox has a higher install cost than the Marks. The Marks is almost a bolt-in the truck. The Toybox, pull tranny and T-case, drive shaft shortening and lengthening, speedo cable lengthening, extra shifter boot/knob, need to fabricate a new skid plate (the t-case is now pushed 7” back and very exposed), T-case shifter extension, and the exhaust system may need to be modified. –The Toybox is for serious rock crawling.

Hmmm good to know. More research required. I guess going with the Marks 3.05 set takes me from a 35.39:1 crawl ratio to 55.096:1 which is a huge improvement. The non compatible 4.1:1 Orion T-Case would take me give me a 74.06:1 with a 4.1:1 low gear which is stellar. Greg is running the Marks 3.05 kit and his truck handled the obstacles effortlessly so maybe I'll look closer at the Marks kit.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you have the 1.99 T-case
4.11 x 4.843 x 1.99 = 40:1 (rounded)

If you have the 2.28 T-case
4.11 x 4.843 x 2.28 = 45:1

Marks
4.11 x 4.843 X 3.05 = 61:1

Larger tires over stock reduce these ratios.

The Marks sounds like the better alternative Dave. A 60ish:1 ratio is pretty nice.

For reference, my fj40 with the SM465 tranny (6.55:1 1st gear), 3 speed tcase (2.31:1 low range), 4.11 diffs, and 35" tires equates to 62:1, which is pretty damn nice for a relatively stock vehicle, and can still travel at highway speeds. It's pretty effortless to chug along in 1st gear/low range, idling over anything in your way :)

If you have the 1.99 T-case
4.11 x 4.843 x 1.99 = 40:1 (rounded)

If you have the 2.28 T-case
4.11 x 4.843 x 2.28 = 45:1

Marks
4.11 x 4.843 X 3.05 = 61:1

Larger tires over stock reduce these ratios.

I have 3.73:1's with 33" tires so I'm really high geared.

The Marks sounds like the better alternative Dave. A 60ish:1 ratio is pretty nice.

For reference, my fj40 with the SM465 tranny (6.55:1 1st gear), 3 speed tcase (2.31:1 low range), 4.11 diffs, and 35" tires equates to 62:1, which is pretty damn nice for a relatively stock vehicle, and can still travel at highway speeds. It's pretty effortless to chug along in 1st gear/low range, idling over anything in your way :)

With my 3.73's I'd wind up at 55.096 which, for what I do is probably just fine. I'm not a rock crawler and have the kids with me more often than not. Your likely right, some times I get the Tim the tool man Taylor syndrome going. Hence selling the last restoration I did, 450 Hp and $40/hour in gas to drive it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Maybe. But having an extra 4.7 case in the middle gives more options. Depending which box gets shifted to low there's his 35:1, 82:1, or 165:1.

I'm pretty sure Marlin had another batch of h55 toyboxes on the market earlier this year.

I'm pretty sure Marlin had another batch of h55 toyboxes on the market earlier this year.

And you know this because you are thinking of stuffing one in your 60?:D

And you know this because you are thinking of stuffing one in your 60?:D

No, it's because I web wheel when I should be working :flipoff2:.
Actually I would like better gearing behind the 3B. I was even considering switching to an h41 mated to my 3.44 rock box. Advance adaptors don't carry them anymore and wouldn't reply if they have any more 10spline output shafts and adaptor plates to make it happen. Might just have to keep the sm420/RB combo and build a 40 for wheeling like I orig planned.

No I haven't tried Mark's, but I am doubtful they'd have it. I think the best bet might be with the 10 spl shaft marlin sold to go with his 4sp LC/toybox conversions. Not really the time or cash to be messing with this right now though. Once the doubler combo goes in I can see costs for parts going up quickly with breaking t.cases and axle bits :lol:.

No I haven't tried Mark's, but I am doubtful they'd have it. I think the best bet might be with the 10 spl shaft marlin sold to go with his 4sp LC/toybox conversions. Not really the time or cash to be messing with this right now though. Once the doubler combo goes in I can see costs for parts going up quickly with breaking t.cases and axle bits :lol:.

yup that will happen:D

Im still not sure on the drivetrain for the piggy, but if it goes diesel Im definatly going to look at the marlin stuff. driveshafts are easy to make :p

One day, one year, to a location TBA....the Marlin H55F toybox sitting in suspension will nestle into place.

Could you imagine...in front of some existing Marks 3:05-1:08's...

Have to go at least 36's.

And no sense at all unless coils are in place, which means 81 axles.

Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom