UZJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
Let me see if I have this right. ??? The 98-99s can be had with rear locker, the 2000s+ come with Active Track/VSC. Assuming I could afford any year I wanted...yeah right. Which is the better way to go? Or more specifically is there any significant disadvantage to the electronic helping hand. Right now I'm just researching a potential purchase and wanted to get some insight on the differences bewtween model years. TIA.

Chuck

I drove a rental Sequoia up and over a few rough dry waterfalls in the desert. The electronic traction control worked well in the situations where one wheel lost traction. Given the rental had no lockers, I was glad for the traction control. I have heard, from other reports, that electronic traction controls can have problems if all four wheels alternate loosing traction, such as when driving through deep sand.

The advantage of the traction control is that is automatic and controls all four wheels. The disadvantage is that there are likely some situations where you would need to disable it.

When I was buyng I passed on the newer 100 Land Cruisers in favor of an 80 in order to get one with solid axles and lockers.

I think you have the years correct. I have a 99, w/ rear locker. I like my rear locker alot, but have not driven a newer model offroad to compare. The newer cruisers have a slightly updated look, different from bumper and different tail lights. The dashboard was totally redone. They now have a touch lcd screen that is used to control most functions. When I was in school in PA I did use my rear locker to get out of some snow...damn snow plows making a pile behinde me..and me not wanting to shovel. I didnt get anywhere when I just had the center diff locked up. Who knows how the new traction control would have handled that...but I suspect that the ice would be a challenge for it. The newer cruisers have a 5 speed transmission and (i think) 10 more horsepower. The earlier 100s have a 4 speed transmission. The earlier ones are not slow, but the new ones are a little faster. The standard wheel package is different. I think they went from a 16 inch wheel to a 18 inch wheel. I have seen some pretty good priced 98 and 99 cruisers. I would get a 98 or 99, but I like the rear locker over the new interior.

-Matt

Rich/Matt, thanks for the input. Noted. Anyone else have any experience with these systems...C'mon I know you're out there ::). Or should I just get an 80 and not worry about it :p

[quote author=ChuckB link=board=2;threadid=5266;start=msg41276#msg41276 date=1063602243]
. Or should I just get an 80 and not worry about it :p[/quote]
Yes. :flipoff2:

14Sep2003 (UTC -7)

There is no substiture for locking differentials. I don't favor the ActiveTRAC, it lets some wheelspin first before engaging (read: press pedal and pray), so that's not exactly treading lightly. I'm very happy with my ARB front/rear lockers, and it has gotten me deeper into trouble & out of it too :) But the key to reliable operation is a very good installation by an experienced Cruiserhead. Gary Kardum was the one I trusted the most for this.

BTW,just don't ask Junk about his opinions on ARB's :flipoff2:

Not sure how the toyota traction control works but, if they are using the brakes to transfer the traction as others do, I'd avoid it if you plan to off-road much. Lots of people complain of the excessive brake wear on smaller vehicles with this sort of setup never mind one that goes through pads about every 20k or so of normal driving! I still think the 80 with full lockers is the one to buy but if you prefer the 100 then I'd get an earlier one with the rear locker and put in a limited slip up front. We don't see alot of posts about that option but in the front it works out quite well as an automatic traction device. Then again maybe it's not available either, I've never checked since I have an 80 with all the lockers :D.

My 99 100 with a rear locker would go anywhere the 80 will :D. There may exist some difference due to wider body on the 100 and a/d angle in the stock form. Mine have been a descent work/adventure truck taking quit a beating her is southern Arizona and Mexico. The only thing missing on my truck is the lower diff gearing and maybe a front locker. (The f locker not really necessary). I guess it depends on what you want to do wit the vehicle…

nice...(stepping into flame suit)...I think I'm leaning toward the 100 :flipoff2:

UZJ100 - welcome to the 21st century!

[quote author=ChuckB link=board=2;threadid=5266;start=msg41422#msg41422 date=1063650873]
I think I'm leaning toward the 100 :flipoff2:
[/quote]

You won't be sorry. :D
(Actually, you won't be sorry with either choice!)
;)

LT
8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom