Uwharrie? or Gulches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in a dilemma:
My FJC should be fixed by next weekend and I want to go wheeling. I was planning to go to the meeting Sat evening in Clemson so I was probably going back to The Gulches.
But my daughter in Charlotte called me and wants me to come up there for a show Saturday night, in which case I could go to Uwharrie.

So . . . Anybody going to go four-wheeling at URE or The Gulches next Saturday or Sunday (May 5-6)?

All this is of course dependent on my new rear Lower Control Arms coming in but they're due Thursday and if by some catastrophic calamity they don't get here I would still like to go if it means riding shotgun and spotting. I could drive there in my mini-truck or Mustang.

Somebody? Anybody?
b

I just went to URE today. Took some off the FJCruiserforum site that hadn't been "really 4-wheel'n". Had a good time, pretty dusty though. We almost flipped one of them on Daniel. The driver made an error when backing down, turning the wheel the wrong way and had it so tipped, it took 2 of us on the slider with another pulling on a strap attached to the rack to get the rig back down so they could continue up the trail. Pretty sketchy.

It was my fault in that I didn't get the driver out of the vehicle to watch the line. By the time I got to the top, they were already coming up the climb and by the time I got to them, they were already deep into it. They were new to this type of wheeling and a bit excited but I should have tempered that with some observations of other drivers going up the trail...

But, to answer your question, I may be up for something next weekend. I have to check the kids soccer schedule to see if I can go on Sat or Sun...

Kuhl.

Glad the trip didn't turn into a disaster for the newbie. I almost laid Bonnie down twice at Tellico. Not a good feeling. Both times I was forging ahead without waiting for my spotter. That's also how I bonked my flare at Gulches last weekend.

Just checked with UPS; my track bars are due Thursday (and I'm off that day) and 30# of recovery gear I ordered weeks ago is finally on the way, due Friday.
That stuff will complete my outfitting; chain, tree strap and snatch block.

Trail on!
b

Bill - No can do next weekend. But any weekend after that, I am down. Roll on...

Kuhl.

Glad the trip didn't turn into a disaster for the newbie. I almost laid Bonnie down twice at Tellico. Not a good feeling. Both times I was forging ahead without waiting for my spotter. That's also how I bonked my flare at Gulches last weekend.

Just checked with UPS; my track bars are due Thursday (and I'm off that day) and 30# of recovery gear I ordered weeks ago is finally on the way, due Friday.
That stuff will complete my outfitting; chain, tree strap and snatch block.

Trail on!
b

Check out this pic on the first ledge on Daniel. Its a great pic of a "sketchy" situation, it looks like 2 wheels off...

Purdy eggsighting.
Daniel is where I got hooked on this sport, and Bonnie lost her cherry.
I didn't know it was Daniel at the time, I thought for sure we had started on an easy one to work up. I was thinking 'if this is an easy one . . .'
The next run in Tellico is where I had her up on a tail light. I've got the cracked tail light to prove it. Nobody got a picture because everyone was running to catch her.
b

I may be available one day next weekend....just let me know what the plans are and I will see what I can do.

hmm, next weekend...unless I have a bunch of dates I am game. :)

I would go simply to camp on that river again...amazing place (the gulches that is).

Of course, wheeling this close to GSMTR is a gamble, and I am about to drop coin on all the maintenance for that run....and the dog sitter...hmm

Let's see where the plans flesh out to....URE ot the gulches, firm up the date, then we will see if I can make!

Dan: would you be interested in URE is it goes that way? If so I'd be willing to camp as well, run into C'lotte for Liz's show Sat night. You might enjoy that too; Big Mama's House of Burlesque. Very nice camping at URE. But I'm OK for Gulches as well. If we do that I'll probably run into Clemson for the UC mtg.
Jerry: Let us know about the soccer dad availability.
Gearguy: I guess URE or Gulches is about the same distance from Ashvegas. Do you have a preference?
Andy: No sweat, I bought a season pass for URE and I intend to get more than my money's worth out of it. I *will* be back.

Did I miss anybody? Where are Jason and Alex and Logan??
b

Right here I am, went to URE today in my buddy's Jeep (saving my gas), I think I saw Jason but not 100% sure if it was his rig, my Jeep buddy's girlfriend's dad's FJ40 (that's a mouth full) and another green later model FJ40.

I'm good pretty much whenever, and if that coil/igniter comes in before then I will definitely be heading URE way.

i will be going to gulches again next sunday if you are interested in going. ill be riding with a stretched locked cj5 and prob some other buddies. i went today with a YJ on 33 open;s and 85 yota pickup on 35;s open and a locked xj on 37s; everyone faired well except the xj who broke a front shaft and seemed to have cracked a tube on his 8.8 but it was a fun day it would be cool to have you along again next sunday

Thanks, good to know I won't be alone if I go that way. Gotta get the truck fixed before I go anywhere.
b

I'm all fixed and ready to go again!!!!!!!

Just to let you know...Gulches 1 year Anniversary is this Saturday and it should be a really good turn out. Skip is going all out with prizes and free lunch and such.

Hope to see ya there!:)

daggumit i always have to work on saturday thats why i always go sunday haha

I just went to URE today. Took some off the FJCruiserforum site that hadn't been "really 4-wheel'n". Had a good time, pretty dusty though. We almost flipped one of them on Daniel. The driver made an error when backing down, turning the wheel the wrong way and had it so tipped, it took 2 of us on the slider with another pulling on a strap attached to the rack to get the rig back down so they could continue up the trail. Pretty sketchy.

It was my fault in that I didn't get the driver out of the vehicle to watch the line. By the time I got to the top, they were already coming up the climb and by the time I got to them, they were already deep into it. They were new to this type of wheeling and a bit excited but I should have tempered that with some observations of other drivers going up the trail...

But, to answer your question, I may be up for something next weekend. I have to check the kids soccer schedule to see if I can go on Sat or Sun...

This was the lesser of two incidents.

Tina got more tipsy than I did in this picture.

IMG_1157.jpg

sadly we didn't get a picture of her escapade. We were busy holding on to her rig.

I had a blast though. Thanks again to MTBCOACH for showing me the ropes. I can;t wait to get out there again.

I'm all fixed and ready to go again!!!!!!!

Just to let you know...Gulches 1 year Anniversary is this Saturday and it should be a really good turn out. Skip is going all out with prizes and free lunch and such.

Hope to see ya there!:)

Hollie you're making it even harder. If I don't go to Charlotte I was leaning towards going to our HAMOM Saturday and learn something about FJ40 basics, then to our club mtg that night, then Gulches Sunday with Jimbo. But what you said makes Saturday look like a must.
But I really *should* go to Charlotte for my daughter. And VoodooBlu's pics make me want to hit URE again.

And Dan talking about camping makes me want to go somewhere and camp for the weekend.

And the weatherman says it's going to rain Thursday which is the day my parts come and my only day off to fix the truck.

Too much fun, not enough days off.

I'm going to bed.
b

i cant make the gulches and ure is a big maybe, but as always give me a shout if that is where you are heading. i was down there last sunday w/ alex and steve and josh. daniel>rockymtnloop>sawmill>slabpile and out. man its dusty down there.

The rain coming through should settle the dust without making too much mud.
So far the only certs I have are Hummer Hollie on Sat and Jimbo on Sun at Gulches so that is the likely direction so far. That way I can maybe make part of the HAMOM and the mtg in Clemson.
Next time I think I'll just post up on Friday and see if anyone is going to be wherever it is I'm going.

I just got some baddish news scheduling-wise today. I ordered my tickets for the US Grand Prix at Indy and when I posted it on the calendar I realized that's the UC run at URE. D'oh.

Too much fun.
b

i have off work sat so i will be out there then as well

Well I'm out of the game for today for sure. If this rain blows on through and If the HAMOM is called for rain and If I can get my links in this afternoon I'll be at Gulches Sunday.
Must have been bad Karma planning to go wheeling instead of the HAMOM.
Om cruiser cruiser ommm.
b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom