Usual starting procedure for BJ60 w/ 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a somewhat new owner of an 81 Bj60 and since it's purchase, I have never really seemed to need the glow plugs to start. Well actually, when I turn the key, the glow plug light doesn't come on at all untill i pass the ON position but before it hits the Starter. I purchased the Vehicle in June and I live in Victoria, BC so it has been warm, but is this normal enough that I shouldn't worry?
can anyone tell me the norms for these engines as far as starting temps etc... Thanks

The glow plug timer is connected to a temp sensor, the glow plugs probably won't kick on until it is much colder than these nice summer temps we have. I am not sure of the exact temp that the g-plugs will run, but probably 0-5 degrees you will see a brief light up.

Anyone with a chart handy?

My glow p are always in function keep in mind here in Panamá we got 30ºC temps in the day and 24ºC thought the night.

You should still get a small light up on the glowlight. No way its hot enough not to.

Turn the key to the run position. Let it sit there till the light is out. You should here the relays turn on then off under the hood. Start with a litttle throttle. Set the hand throttle at 1000 to warm up.

When you get the chance before winter, read the thread on the millson glowplug switch. And look at testing or replacing your old glowplugs. See the FAQ for more info.

I start mine by watching the voltage gauge. When the gauge shows the voltage jumping back to about 10-12v then I start the truck. Usually that's a little longer than the light time. In Canada in the winter I'll give it two times before trying to start.

You've got an '81? Your glow light won't come on unless you hold the key in the "ON" position. My 81 was of the older non-super glow setup. You hold the key in the "ON" position and wait for the light to go out. Your glowplugs are the 10.5v variety. I actually liked this setup- it's a lot like the manual setup I now have in my '84 with the pushbutton. This time of year a few sec's will do it and you may get away w/o glowing at all but in a couple of months you'll see great clouds of white if you don't glow.

Peter

mac said:
You've got an '81? Your glow light won't come on unless you hold the key in the "ON" position. My 81 was of the older non-super glow setup. You hold the key in the "ON" position and wait for the light to go out. Your glowplugs are the 10.5v variety. I actually liked this setup- it's a lot like the manual setup I now have in my '84 with the pushbutton. This time of year a few sec's will do it and you may get away w/o glowing at all but in a couple of months you'll see great clouds of white if you don't glow.

Peter

Ok, Im an Idiot. I just went out to look at the actual face of the ignition switch. Like most vehicles, theres an LOCK, an ACC and an ON and a START. But unlike most other vehicles, there seems to be a G between the ON and START positions. Should have looked first, could have saved time. However, when I did try to start it it barely had any juice. So, in the interest of hijacking my own thread, Is this abnormal? The vehicle has been parked without running for only a week or two tops. With dual batteries and no electrical drain, this shouldn't occur right? Thanks for those who answered previous question.

Look for the simple 1st. Did you leave anything on? What condition are your batteries? How old? Check your connections at the terminals, in between the batteries and check the grounds going to the motor mount and/or frame.
If your batteries are charged up and you remove and replace a connection at one terminal and see an arc- you have a draw somewhere.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom