Using CD based repair manuals on new computers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I shouldn't clog up @c2dfj45 's nice build thread so I'll make an instruction here separately.This is for those of you who have purchased or pay purchase a CD based repair manual for your truck. The issue that happens is if you use the built in software, you will find that it says your system isn't compatible (the instructions indicate max of windows XP can be used... Thats TMC for you). Anyways, it works fine without the included software as its just HTML, you just need to navigate to the right file. See my instructions below.

This was done on a Windows 10 PC. I used a USB CD drive because who has those anymore. So this is good because you can move to a flash drive for easier use on any PC!

Edit: It also seems to work fine selecting that file with the CD in, no need to copy the files. The steps listed below were for a 2005 100 series HTML disk. I also tried a 2007 200 series HTML disk which had a different structure, but worked fine just the same, see last picture for location. When running this way from the CD, I was not asked for the serial either (I've never entered it on the 200 disk)

If your file structure looks nothing like this, try looking at the "TMC.ini" file for a hint to the file name you need. For the 2007 manual, I went directly to that file and it worked. For the 2005 that file didn't work, but as I clicked through the index files, the last one was the right one.

Step 1: Copy CD contents to a folder of your choice. It should look similar to below
1581681913740.png

Step 2: Open "Contents" folder

Step 3: Double Click "Index3.html"
1581681923612.png

Step 4: Allow Blocked content
1581681934150.png

Step 5: Enjoy :)
1581681946422.png

2007 style file location:

1581682111109.png

OK about the serial, if you open the CD from the "PC" screen (where you see your other disk drives) it will ask for the serial rather than the contents. However, if you select from the side bar navigation, it simply opens up the CD to show the contents, no serial needed.

(Photos on next page)

Last edited:
Excellent, I've been looking at getting the CD's from Mr T for my 79 but wasn't sure about using them on my windows 10 laptop. I'll be happy to buy them now.

Excellent, I've been looking at getting the CD's from Mr T for my 79 but wasn't sure about using them on my windows 10 laptop. I'll be happy to buy them now.

Glad it’s helpful! I figured there are likely a few in your same position!

I’m going to see if I can snag a 2012 (I think that’s the latest version I’ve seen used) and check that as well hopefully next week. The only change that should be there is the file structure, html data hasn’t changed so once the right file is selected it should continue to work as normal.

Are the pages printable? May seem like a dumb question to some, but this is Toyota backed software we are talking about after all. ;)

Are the pages printable? May seem like a dumb question to some, but this is Toyota backed software we are talking about after all. ;)
You betcha! So the HTML aspect of this info is just organization and navigation. All it does is link to specific PDF files. Some of the repair manuals online are the same thing, just all crammed into one huge PDF. At any section you view, you can print the whole thing out.

Nice job and sure to be helpful.

From your images... a lot of these files are hidden.

Anyone looking for the "Contents", folder would want to make sure they set their view settings to show "hidden files and folders.".

You can tell from the images where the folder is more opaque.

hidden.jpg

Nice job and sure to be helpful.

From your images... a lot of these files are hidden.

Anyone looking for the "Contents", folder would want to make sure they set their view settings to show "hidden files and folders.".

You can tell from the images where the folder is more opaque.

View attachment 2210698
Thank you! That is a key setting, I’ll have to add that to the begging of the post. One of my first setting changes on a computer for me so I totally spaced it!

I got the two cd's today from Mr T, for the 70 series. It is working as above but opens each page as a separate document rather than within the main screen for some reason.

I got the two cd's today from Mr T, for the 70 series. It is working as above but opens each page as a separate document rather than within the main screen for some reason.

Do you mean in the nice browser window with the navigation tree on the left, you click on a procedure and a PDF opens in a whole new browser box rather than the larger right side pane? Or in adobe reader? Any screen shot would help. Also what year is your CD?

Do you mean in the nice browser window with the navigation tree on the left, you click on a procedure and a PDF opens in a whole new browser box rather than the larger right side pane? Or in adobe reader? Any screen shot would help. Also what year is your CD?
Yes when I'm in the nice browser window with the tree on the left, I click on a procedure and it opens in a new browser box. I think the CD's are 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom