US legal BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greg_B said:
Ciaran Wilson of "Cruiserland" in Langley BC is working on his 2nd firewall swap, and has a 3rd booked with the 60 series. He does incredible work. He is building plans for his 1st 7* series, and then will be off to the races with it. This is always an option for those that really want a LDH with all the goodies.

hth's

gb
This thread has drifted to the question of rhd / lhd so it should be ok for me to post this:
I'm proud to say the firewall swap Ciaran is doing is on my cruiser. I talk to him once a week or so and it sounds like he is doing a meticulous job (as his reputation suggests). I can't wait to get it but I don't want to rush an artist. I'm kind of like a kid waiting for that special Christmas present.

Here's the deal. If the vehicle was not originally sold new on the Canadian market as this BJ74 was not, it will not have the door sill tag that states it meets all Canadian federal safety standards. NO registered importer can or will import a vehicle from Canada that does not have this door sill tag, even the sleazy importers I know have told me they simply can't do it, believe me, I have asked.

I read the auction description and the seller claims he has it been pre-approved for import, by whom? And did they know all the information about the vehicle? I have never heard of this pre-approval and I have successfully imported seven 70 series trucks from Canada now and assisted ine the importation of two three others.

Also, recent changes in US law prohibit the importation of right hand drive vehicles unless a petition for import eligibility has been done to prove it is no different or less safe than its LHD counterpart, and to date there is only one vehicle that has done this patition and that is that Nissan, what is it, a skyline?

Anyway, if that BJ74 gets in it will not be legal, but then again, if someone can get it in and can get a title and plates then what's the difference if it is legal or not?

As far as insurance, that will be another problem. I have never had any problem insuring any of the Canadian spec'd BJ70s I have imported, reason being the model and VIN pattern is in the databases of American insurance companies because thier databases cover Canadian vehicles too. I did however have problems insuring my HZJ75, this VIN and model does not exist in any insurance database Canadian or US and I kept getting repeated notices in teh mail saying the VIN was wrong. In addition, my agent had to simply list it as a 1 ton Toyota pickup because a this model Land Cruiser pickup is not in their databases. Now there are specialty insurance places that deal with high-end sportscars that deal with non-conforming VINs and models, and this might be where a person ends up, it all depends on one's insurance company and how flexible they can be.

70seriesaddict said:
I did however have problems insuring my HZJ75, this VIN and model does not exist in any insurance database Canadian or US and I kept getting repeated notices in teh mail saying the VIN was wrong. In addition, my agent had to simply list it as a 1 ton Toyota pickup because a this model Land Cruiser pickup is not in their databases. Now there are specialty insurance places that deal with high-end sportscars that deal with non-conforming VINs and models, and this might be where a person ends up, it all depends on one's insurance company and how flexible they can be.

You're right about the insurance thing...I don't think you'd be able to call up Progressive and have them insure it, but if you have a good insurance agent that wants the rest of your business, he will work to get it insured...on my hilux, I had to take a picture of the vin number because they kept saying it wasn't valid, but it is....it just isn't in the North American database.

bk

Hawke said:
This thread has drifted to the question of rhd / lhd so it should be ok for me to post this:
I'm proud to say the firewall swap Ciaran is doing is on my cruiser. I talk to him once a week or so and it sounds like he is doing a meticulous job (as his reputation suggests). I can't wait to get it but I don't want to rush an artist. I'm kind of like a kid waiting for that special Christmas present.

I am curious on a firewall swap on a 70 series the firewall is semitrical so if you templated the holes from right to left and then replaced the dash pieces there would be no reason to replace the entie firewall. Just seems like extra work to me, but since I have not done one yet maybe I am forgetting something specific to actual firewall. Anybody?

Cheers,

Michael

WOW!! $10,500.00 and still not met the reserve. The problem with Cruiser diesels is that everyone wants to make "their" buck on the deal. Granted, in the case of that perticular cruiser, it is a nice truck but you can buy a new car for nearly that much. All I am trying to say is I would LOVE to put a diesel in both of my cruisers but I can't afford a Toyota diesel, they just cost too much. I somehow dought that I am the only one who is not buying a Toyota diesel because they are too spendy.
Jonathan

Check it out, our man TLCrusierman is the top bidder on that truck!!!

Good luck Mr.. As if you're cruiser POOR as it is........

HA! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

svo_jon said:
All I am trying to say is I would LOVE to put a diesel in both of my cruisers but I can't afford a Toyota diesel, they just cost too much. I somehow dought that I am the only one who is not buying a Toyota diesel because they are too spendy.
Jonathan

Why not just buy a parts hj or bj and swap it in. Unless you want the turbo diesel then they arent that much. I have seen several on here for under $2K for the entire truck! yeah they have some miles on them, but nothing a diesel cannot handle! I can definately see not spending the $ for like a 12hdt but a 3B isnt out of range. I mainly want a diesel b/f of the ability to make your own fuel. Thats just too cool!

89s rule said:
Why not just buy a parts hj or bj and swap it in. Unless you want the turbo diesel then they arent that much. I have seen several on here for under $2K for the entire truck! yeah they have some miles on them, but nothing a diesel cannot handle! I can definately see not spending the $ for like a 12hdt but a 3B isnt out of range. I mainly want a diesel b/f of the ability to make your own fuel. Thats just too cool!

Have you seen any of those in the States for 2K? I could not find any under 15k in the US, if you have send me a pm, it if works out I will give you a finders fee.

Cheers,

Michael

You guys are slightly overreacting over the insurance deal. Insure through Farmers or State Farm as a stated value, custom, or even a kit car. Technically my '71 FJ55 is fully insured with absoluteyly no quams with a stated value of $25K (and not worth remotely close to that) for less than $40 a month and I am only 26. Just talk to one of these guys, tell them that it is an import. Also, if it is importable into canada with no safety features needing install then it 100% qualifies for US safety standards by default. Descrepancies between Canada & US don't begin until 1990 with airbags... Insurance doesn't care about emissions, just safety equipment and you are covered there...

With as much as I would die to own this truck legally and seeing that on the HJ61 he sold the reserve was met a by 15k which I would gladly pay for this truck, I had to ask three times just who pre-approved this truck and how he plans on getting it in legally and he simply won't answer, so I just don't trust the legality of his import method so I am not going to bid. This is what he said:

"I'm sorry that you were given wrong information regarding the importation of vehicles, I'm also sorry if I seem terribly blunt but, that is what happened. I receive no less than 25 emails every day from people trying to find out how to import vehicles some of which are very sneaky, and spend no less than 3 hours every night replying to the emails. The facts are this, yes you can legally import RHD vehicles, as there are thoushands, yes thousands, of RHD's currently registered in the states. Yes a letter of conformity is one, and only one way to LEGALLY import vehicles. Yes this vehicle is ready for legal importation, my feedback history and track record should confirm that I am telling the truth. If you win this car there will be no fees involved with bringingthis truck into the US but it will take 15 minutes of your time at customs. I have nothing to gain by stickng anyone, nor have I ever, but I absolutely will not reveal what is involved to make a vehicle conform to the importation standards as that is what I do. I am also not going to argue the facts, if you were told something by someone, well so be it, it must be true. If you have any fears at all as to bidding on this vehicle then I would strongly recommend not bidding. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but, again, I am bombarded daily with emails from people who have heard one thing and know that I can't possibly do what I have done time and time again LEGALLY! All the best-Cole"

I have not been told wrong, it is law, period. Second paragraph on the import eligibilty page on the US DOT's website says:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG081905.html
Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed.

The fact of the matter is there is no US certified substantially similar model with a 70 series and even if there were it states above that that isn't enough, that the manufacturer has to make a statement as to RHD performance. Since the assistant to the president of Toyota Motor Saels USA told me on the phone it is not company policy to issue letters of conformity, this hasn't happened, and there is no RHD petition on file nor is teher one pending according to the NHTSA's website.

And of course in terms of the EPA there is no way to import this truck without having the emissions tested by a registered importer which I know he has not done or it would have added at least 3500k to the price.

There are two legal ways to bring it in, the gift/sale loophole from Canadian to immediate family member living in the US, or a Canadian may bring one vehicle with them when the immigrate to the US without going through all the hoops. I don't think that's how he is doing it.

The only other thing I can think of is that one time I called the border crossing closest to Seattle when trying to help stickboy import his BJ74. The customs supervisor I talked to there said that if I wanted to have a reputable shop in Canada do the work to bring the vehicle into compliance with US DOT and EPA standards and then bring the receipt for the work done to the crossing I could import the vehicle. Now, this is not what the law says (only an RI or shop certified by the manufacturer can do the work and even then an RI has to do the import still), but these customs officers have the last say, and as I had stated earlier, if one gets is across and gets a title and all then does it matter if it is legal? Then I thought about Da Silva who got in a BJ60 I think it was, got it titled in his state, was driving it daily, and customs came knocking on his door and the truck ahd to go back... So I don't know.

TLCruiserman, I hope if you win you will inform us as to how the truck gets across the border if for no other reason than to take this seller off his high horse about his information hoarding.

tlcruiserman said:
I am curious on a firewall swap on a 70 series the firewall is semitrical so if you templated the holes from right to left and then replaced the dash pieces there would be no reason to replace the entie firewall. Just seems like extra work to me, but since I have not done one yet maybe I am forgetting something specific to actual firewall. Anybody?

Cheers,

Michael

I agree. The firewall is the same. You'd just have to drill a bunch of new holes, fill a bunch of old ones and move a bunch of captive nuts.

but the fact is, he has done it before and I have checked it out thru the WA DMV and its(the HJ61) legaly titled and lic in WA State as just what it is.

as far as I am concerned a WA title(stating it is a BJ74 or HJ61) make it a legal import, if it was titled as something else, say a BJ70 or BJ40 or Fj60 ect......then its not a legal import.

If you were the 1st one to figure it out and were in business...........would you give away the info? sure I wish he would spill the beans.........but I wouldnt hold my breath.

70seriesaddict said:
With as much as I would die to own this truck legally and seeing that on the HJ61 he sold the reserve was met a by 15k which I would gladly pay for this truck, I had to ask three times just who pre-approved this truck and how he plans on getting it in legally and he simply won't answer, so I just don't trust the legality of his import method so I am not going to bid. This is what he said:

"I'm sorry that you were given wrong information regarding the importation of vehicles, I'm also sorry if I seem terribly blunt but, that is what happened. I receive no less than 25 emails every day from people trying to find out how to import vehicles some of which are very sneaky, and spend no less than 3 hours every night replying to the emails. The facts are this, yes you can legally import RHD vehicles, as there are thoushands, yes thousands, of RHD's currently registered in the states. Yes a letter of conformity is one, and only one way to LEGALLY import vehicles. Yes this vehicle is ready for legal importation, my feedback history and track record should confirm that I am telling the truth. If you win this car there will be no fees involved with bringingthis truck into the US but it will take 15 minutes of your time at customs. I have nothing to gain by stickng anyone, nor have I ever, but I absolutely will not reveal what is involved to make a vehicle conform to the importation standards as that is what I do. I am also not going to argue the facts, if you were told something by someone, well so be it, it must be true. If you have any fears at all as to bidding on this vehicle then I would strongly recommend not bidding. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but, again, I am bombarded daily with emails from people who have heard one thing and know that I can't possibly do what I have done time and time again LEGALLY! All the best-Cole"

I have not been told wrong, it is law, period. Second paragraph on the import eligibilty page on the US DOT's website says:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG081905.html
Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on imp

orting a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed.

The fact of the matter is there is no US certified substantially similar model with a 70 series and even if there were it states above that that isn't enough, that the manufacturer has to make a statement as to RHD performance. Since the assistant to the president of Toyota Motor Saels USA told me on the phone it is not company policy to issue letters of conformity, this hasn't happened, and there is no RHD petition on file nor is teher one pending according to the NHTSA's website.

And of course in terms of the EPA there is no way to import this truck without having the emissions tested by a registered importer which I know he has not done or it would have added at least 3500k to the price.

There are two legal ways to bring it in, the gift/sale loophole from Canadian to immediate family member living in the US, or a Canadian may bring one vehicle with them when the immigrate to the US without going through all the hoops. I don't think that's how he is doing it.

The only other thing I can think of is that one time I called the border crossing closest to Seattle when trying to help stickboy import his BJ74. The customs supervisor I talked to there said that if I wanted to have a reputable shop in Canada do the work to bring the vehicle into compliance with US DOT and EPA standards and then bring the receipt for the work done to the crossing I could import the vehicle. Now, this is not what the law says (only an RI or shop certified by the manufacturer can do the work and even then an RI has to do the import still), but these customs officers have the last say, and as I had stated earlier, if one gets is across and gets a title and all then does it matter if it is legal? Then I thought about Da Silva who got in a BJ60 I think it was, got it titled in his state, was driving it daily, and customs came knocking on his door and the truck ahd to go back... So I don't know.

TLCruiserman, I hope if you win you will inform us as to how the truck gets across the border if for no other reason than to take this seller off his high horse about his information hoarding.

I am a coward. If he gets this one in and it shows up as legal, I'll buy the next one :)

Well, I for one would hope that if someone on this board found the secret decoder ring for legally importing Japanese spec'd Land Cruisers into the U.S., that they would put their capitalist aspirations aside to help his/her fellow cruiserheads.

As for me, if I ever learn how to do it, I'll have it posted in a Toyota Trails - but that's just me.

Against my better judgment I am going to put a post out here. I commend those out there that say they would post how to bring cruisers in legally. And for those that post the written docs from customs, thanks as well.

I would mention and ask you indulgence on this. If you look at this string as well as past strings and the diversity and length of some of the posts, what would make anyone think that posting a legal way to import cruisers into the US would answer the questions and criticism of the process at all. If it was posted today on the forum or in Toyota trails (not saying there is an answer just for example here) there would be an even bigger group denouncing it as illegal and a small hand full of those that would actually make use of the information. My personal belief is that there are a few out there that would be so jealous and spiteful or have such and issue with it, that they would go to great lengths to raise the question to the customs and make and issue out of it. Now that is just my belief but I really think far more bad would come from posting it than good.

Ok just my 2 cents here.

Thanks,

Michael

agreed on both, if I knew the the secret I would spill it but your right, some SOB would be pissed or whatever and throw you under the bus(or DOT, DMV, Customs ect)

wasn't there some guy in Texas that was blackmailed over his non US cruiser, something like, sell it to me or I will turn you in...........what a freakin asshat!

tlcruiserman said:
Against my better judgment I am going to put a post out here. I commend those out there that say they would post how to bring cruisers in legally. And for those that post the written docs from customs, thanks as well.

I would mention and ask you indulgence on this. If you look at this string as well as past strings and the diversity and length of some of the posts, what would make anyone think that posting a legal way to import cruisers into the US would answer the questions and criticism of the process at all. If it was posted today on the forum or in Toyota trails (not saying there is an answer just for example here) there would be an even bigger group denouncing it as illegal and a small hand full of those that would actually make use of the information. My personal belief is that there are a few out there that would be so jealous and spiteful or have such and issue with it, that they would go to great lengths to raise the question to the customs and make and issue out of it. Now that is just my belief but I really think far more bad would come from posting it than good.

Ok just my 2 cents here.

Thanks,

Michael

Landpimp said:
some SOB would be pissed or whatever and throw you under the bus(or DOT, DMV, Customs ect)

Just playing devils advoate.... Why would anyone worry about DOT, DMV, Customs or anyone else if it were 100% legal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom