UROC Indiana mishap...

cruiseroutfit

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
8,919
Location
Utah
Bob Standage on the Bonus line at the Portland, IN UROC event last weekend...

http://www.offroadvideos.com/vidclips/05PortlandPro/BobStandage_large.wmv

Carl and I were on obstacle when that happened... I looked over and saw a rig jamming right up to the other... We took a time out needless to say... With all the EMT resources busy over there, we didn't want to risk another injury without personelle to assist us.
 

Rascal

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
581
Location
Argyle, TX
Wow! What happened - did he get knocked out on that first landing? Glad he/everyone was ok!
 

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor
 
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
20,186
Location
MN
Holy Hell!!!!
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
394
Location
Arizona
Holy f'n crap! That is the crazyiest thing i've seen in a while. I just about craped my pants watching it! Talk about a close call.
 

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
1,006
Location
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
cruiseroutfit said:
Bob Standage on the Bonus line at the Portland, IN UROC event last weekend...

http://www.offroadvideos.com/vidclips/05PortlandPro/BobStandage_large.wmv

Carl and I were on obstacle when that happened... I looked over and saw a rig jamming right up to the other... We took a time out needless to say... With all the EMT resources busy over there, we didn't want to risk another injury without personelle to assist us.
That's just plain hilarious, the Event Organisers should be congratulated. :) Who's their Public Liability Insurance provider? :flamingo:

In America, don't People give a s*** about Safety? :confused:
 

cruiseroutfit

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
8,919
Location
Utah
Jonathan_Ferguson said:
That's just plain hilarious, the Event Organisers should be congratulated. :) Who's their Public Liability Insurance provider? :flamingo:
Why? Because a competitor didn't have his safety equipment on tight (as shown by hitting his head on the steering wheel)...

And because he was on an optional obstacle...

Crap happens, everyone learned from the situation...
 

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
1,006
Location
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
cruiseroutfit said:
Why? Because a competitor didn't have his safety equipment on tight (as shown by hitting his head on the steering wheel)...

And because he was on an optional obstacle...

Crap happens, everyone learned from the situation...
The Event Organisers should never of allowed the Spectators so close. Also, the Spectators should of used their Common Sense, too.
 

Radd Cruisers

 
 
 
Joined
Sep 28, 2002
Messages
8,044
Location
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Plain cool and glad no one was hurt.

You gotta admit not much is going to stop a buggy, its going to crawl over most anything in its way.


Whats the chances of the one rear wheel hooking up and putting that buggy into a perfect back flip and spin?????
 

cruiseroutfit

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
8,919
Location
Utah
Radd Cruisers said:
... Whats the chances of the one rear wheel hooking up and putting that buggy into a perfect back flip and spin?????
Amazing eh? :D

Couple of thoughts...

Would this have been prevented had his harness been properly worn? He did have it on, but it is fair to assume that it was not tight enough... his helmet was visually damaged, as was his steering wheel from the impact. Thank god he didn't take the steering wheel a little lower (such as a direct facial hit).

Also, it was on a BONUS line, that only ~4 people were able to scale... We pulled up to it, gave it a couple conservative assaults, and decided it was not worth the risk...

That video really hits home as the entire UROC crew (competitors, judges, media, etc) were in those same pits all day long... It was a miracle (IMHO) that there were no serious injuries...
 

Texican

s-Moderator
 
 
 
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
5,956
Location
Bonham Tx.
Maybe they need to do the NASCAR test, before they allow you on the track, even in practice, an official is there, he reachs in trys to insert a finger in between the shoulder straps and the drivers chest, if he can, he proceeds to pull the straps tight, he then lets you on the track
Butch
 

Fireman

 
 
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
5,451
Location
Iowa Park. TX
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.offroadvideos.com Port 80
 

cruiseroutfit

Moderator
 
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
8,919
Location
Utah
Texican said:
Maybe they need to do the NASCAR test, before they allow you on the track, even in practice, an official is there, he reachs in trys to insert a finger in between the shoulder straps and the drivers chest, if he can, he proceeds to pull the straps tight, he then lets you on the track
Butch
Good idea, there are some judges that check for harness's, but others don't, mabey it should be a standard for all obstacles.
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,607
Location
Cuyamaca, CA and Las Vegas, NV
Jonathan_Ferguson said:
The Event Organisers should never of allowed the Spectators so close. Also, the Spectators should of used their Common Sense, too.
It is safe to say this doesn't happen often at rock crawling events. The spectators were all paying enough attention to get clear and not be injured.

Learning experience, sure. Foreseeable accident? No.

You should try spectating at the BAJA 1000 where the trucks are passing by at 50-100 mph and the crowds are close enough to feel the wind blow past them when the trucks go by.
 

dmc

 
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
687
Location
Wandering the Western Hemisphere
DavidW said:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.offroadvideos.com Port 80
Got the same error on my first attempt. Second time I was able to get it.

The thing that bothers me about that video is the smirk on that jackass's face. Like he didn't care about what he had done. Perhaps nobody got seriously hurt but that doesn't mininmize his mistake or the risk involved. Our course I don't belong in the hardcore forum and maybe that type of thing is acceptable.

Kurt how did you guys finish?
dmc
 

Eskimo

SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
1,358
Location
Danville, PA
I doubt that's why he was smiling.. Don't jump to any conclusions. Maybe the sherrif was saying how lucky he is to be in one piece... (Hence the reason he moves around like that)... Also, I'd be willing to bet that the conversation video was taken a good while after the actual event, and everything had calmed down by then.
 

dmc

 
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
687
Location
Wandering the Western Hemisphere
Eskimo said:
I doubt that's why he was smiling.. Don't jump to any conclusions. Maybe the sherrif was saying how lucky he is to be in one piece... (Hence the reason he moves around like that)... Also, I'd be willing to bet that the conversation video was taken a good while after the actual event, and everything had calmed down by then.

You're probably right about the editing. I just got the impression from the video that they were try to show off-road action and not the danger involved. Honestly I've lost touch with the hardcore side of things. Thus my 40 sits, untouched, in a tweener state. Too small and outdated to hang with all the advances out there and too much to be a daily driver. I'll go back to the mall wagon section where I belong.
dmc
 

Eskimo

SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
1,358
Location
Danville, PA
There are times I wish I left my junk at the 4" SUA / 35" tire stage.. I wouldn't have to drive so far for a challenge!
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
9,599
Location
North Cadillac
Jonathan_Ferguson said:
The Event Organisers should never of allowed the Spectators so close. Also, the Spectators should of used their Common Sense, too.

You're right. Another example of the fun police seeking out fun and stopping it. Everyone should be sitting about a mile out and watching through binoculars . :rolleyes:
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
2,709
Location
nashville, tn
Eskimo said:
I doubt that's why he was smiling.. Don't jump to any conclusions. Maybe the sherrif was saying how lucky he is to be in one piece... (Hence the reason he moves around like that)... Also, I'd be willing to bet that the conversation video was taken a good while after the actual event, and everything had calmed down by then.
yeah, that and the fact that he's standing outside the open ambulance doors...


man, crazy stuff...crazy stuff



malphrus
 
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
281
Location
Cincinnati
My crystal ball is a little foggy, but I see Monster Truck type remote kill switches may be coming in the future. I don't see it when events are on public land, but some of the new stadium events may start adopting them.
 
Top Bottom