1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UROC Indiana mishap...

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by cruiseroutfit, Jul 12, 2005.

1. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Bob Standage on the Bonus line at the Portland, IN UROC event last weekend...

http://www.offroadvideos.com/vidclips/05PortlandPro/BobStandage_large.wmv

Carl and I were on obstacle when that happened... I looked over and saw a rig jamming right up to the other... We took a time out needless to say... With all the EMT resources busy over there, we didn't want to risk another injury without personelle to assist us.

2. Rascal

Rascal SILVER Star

Wow! What happened - did he get knocked out on that first landing? Glad he/everyone was ok!

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Holy Hell!!!!

4. OnTheSpot

OnTheSpot

Holy f'n crap! That is the crazyiest thing i've seen in a while. I just about craped my pants watching it! Talk about a close call.

5. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

That's just plain hilarious, the Event Organisers should be congratulated. :) Who's their Public Liability Insurance provider? :flamingo:

In America, don't People give a s*** about Safety? :confused:

6. cruiseroutfit

Why? Because a competitor didn't have his safety equipment on tight (as shown by hitting his head on the steering wheel)...

And because he was on an optional obstacle...

Crap happens, everyone learned from the situation...

7. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

The Event Organisers should never of allowed the Spectators so close. Also, the Spectators should of used their Common Sense, too.

8. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Plain cool and glad no one was hurt.

You gotta admit not much is going to stop a buggy, its going to crawl over most anything in its way.

Whats the chances of the one rear wheel hooking up and putting that buggy into a perfect back flip and spin?????

9. cruiseroutfit

Amazing eh? :D

Couple of thoughts...

Would this have been prevented had his harness been properly worn? He did have it on, but it is fair to assume that it was not tight enough... his helmet was visually damaged, as was his steering wheel from the impact. Thank god he didn't take the steering wheel a little lower (such as a direct facial hit).

Also, it was on a BONUS line, that only ~4 people were able to scale... We pulled up to it, gave it a couple conservative assaults, and decided it was not worth the risk...

That video really hits home as the entire UROC crew (competitors, judges, media, etc) were in those same pits all day long... It was a miracle (IMHO) that there were no serious injuries...

10. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe they need to do the NASCAR test, before they allow you on the track, even in practice, an official is there, he reachs in trys to insert a finger in between the shoulder straps and the drivers chest, if he can, he proceeds to pull the straps tight, he then lets you on the track
    Butch

11. Fireman

Fireman SILVER Star

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.offroadvideos.com Port 80

12. cruiseroutfit

Good idea, there are some judges that check for harness's, but others don't, mabey it should be a standard for all obstacles.

13. calamaridog

calamaridog

It is safe to say this doesn't happen often at rock crawling events. The spectators were all paying enough attention to get clear and not be injured.

Learning experience, sure. Foreseeable accident? No.

You should try spectating at the BAJA 1000 where the trucks are passing by at 50-100 mph and the crowds are close enough to feel the wind blow past them when the trucks go by.

14. dmc

dmc

Media:
    Albums:
    Got the same error on my first attempt. Second time I was able to get it.

The thing that bothers me about that video is the smirk on that jackass's face. Like he didn't care about what he had done. Perhaps nobody got seriously hurt but that doesn't mininmize his mistake or the risk involved. Our course I don't belong in the hardcore forum and maybe that type of thing is acceptable.

Kurt how did you guys finish?
    dmc

15. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

I doubt that's why he was smiling.. Don't jump to any conclusions. Maybe the sherrif was saying how lucky he is to be in one piece... (Hence the reason he moves around like that)... Also, I'd be willing to bet that the conversation video was taken a good while after the actual event, and everything had calmed down by then.

16. dmc

dmc

Media:
    Albums:

You're probably right about the editing. I just got the impression from the video that they were try to show off-road action and not the danger involved. Honestly I've lost touch with the hardcore side of things. Thus my 40 sits, untouched, in a tweener state. Too small and outdated to hang with all the advances out there and too much to be a daily driver. I'll go back to the mall wagon section where I belong.
    dmc

17. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

There are times I wish I left my junk at the 4" SUA / 35" tire stage.. I wouldn't have to drive so far for a challenge!

18. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

You're right. Another example of the fun police seeking out fun and stopping it. Everyone should be sitting about a mile out and watching through binoculars . :rolleyes:

19. 72cruiser

72cruiser

yeah, that and the fact that he's standing outside the open ambulance doors...

man, crazy stuff...crazy stuff

malphrus

20. TLCA_Paul

TLCA_Paul

My crystal ball is a little foggy, but I see Monster Truck type remote kill switches may be coming in the future. I don't see it when events are on public land, but some of the new stadium events may start adopting them.