Upper windshield molding....above the windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So....I'd a windshield removed and replaced in order to repair some very modest rust on the roof and in the upper channel of the windshield.
Local shop did it, nice looking job. The glass was not OEM when I got the truck so its been out before. The shop was able to do it without breaking the glass.

However, some weeks after the repair I had a single trickle of water on the inside of the windshield. The shop apologized, redid the work. No leak.

However, while driving on the interstate the other day, the molding which runs horizontally above the windshield came loose and was flapping in the breeze.

It looks like its just press fit into the groove above the windshield, not glued in or taped in like the vertical moldings beside the windshield, but I can't find a video or description of how it goes in on this site or any other and damned if I can find a description in the factory repair manual.

First question, is it just a press fit? Its been in and out at least 5 times and I suspect its the OEM molding and, like me, is mature.

Second question Should I buy a new rubber part? Should I press the old one back in and hope it holds, Adhesive? Voodoo??

I did press it into the groove, but it isn't going to hold....way too easy to install it....it is going to fly out again.

I would go with a new molding. They're not terribly expensive like the side pieces. It just presses into place but when I did mine I ran a bead of sealant behind it to help seal and hold it in place.

So, bought a new molding, pulled the old molding. There is so much urethane in the groove for the molding that its amazing that the old molding stayed in at all.

So Saturday AM I set forth to clean the groove. I used mineral spirits...after 5 hours of hard work, I declared defeat, I'm not making enough progress.

What solvent will work? If I use too much solvent will I loosen the windshield?

I've got plastic scrapers so I won't damage the paint.

Looking for guidance. Help, I need to clean the groove so that I can tuck the new molding into place.

Thanks.....I gather that heat is the answer. I may try a heat gun, but urethane is apparently immortal. People have put it into all kinds of solvents with no success.

Just my thought. Those rubber trims trap moisture and starts corrosion. My newer 21 Taco does not have the top trim from factory.

The only time they start corrosion is when you have a windshield install that was improperly. Once you get all of the old urethane off I would run a new bead and then install the trim. This will ensure that the trim will stay in place and help seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom