Upper column bearing loose in Ignition housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 1980 FJ43, and I am new to this forum. I looked at many threads trying to find an answer to my problem, but no one seems to have ran into it.
My steering has some abnormal play/feeling to it. I could literally wobble it around. Felt like a loose upper bearing, which would already be uncommon... I decided to take things apart, and discovered that the ignition housing is the problem, it has worn out in the bottom, allowing the bearing to have some play.
What didn't help at all was that the retaining ring that's supposed to be on the column shaft was missing, and the retainer for the bearing on the column housing (Holding with three screws) is not the right part or shape at all, rather than hold down the bearing, it does nothing...
See the pictures for reference. Picture 1 shows the bearing in place, you can see the gap from the wear under it. Picture 2 has the bearing lowered, so the gap is now over it. Pictures 3 and 4 show the weird shape of the retainer, not being flat...

My questions are

1. What would you guys recommend? Easiest way is getting a replacement ignition housing, but mine being a locking column, I've been searching for one for months, but can't find one. Anyone here have one for sale by any chance??

2. I figured I could possibly fill the gap somehow, and was thinking that ''shim stock'' would be best. Any advice on that?

3. Anyone have the retainer for sale, or know where to find one? It's OEM part number 45269-36010

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hello to all,

I'm a proud new owner of a 1980 FJ43, and I am new to this forum. I looked at many threads trying to find an answer to my problem, but no one seems to have ran into it.
My steering has some abnormal play/feeling to it. I could literally wobble it around. Felt like a loose upper bearing, which would already be uncommon... I decided to take things apart, and discovered that the ignition housing is the problem, it has worn out in the bottom, allowing the bearing to have some play.
What didn't help at all was that the retaining ring that's supposed to be on the column shaft was missing, and the retainer for the bearing on the column housing (Holding with three screws) is not the right part or shape at all, rather than hold down the bearing, it does nothing...
See the pictures for reference. Picture 1 shows the bearing in place, you can see the gap from the wear under it. Picture 2 has the bearing lowered, so the gap is now over it. Pictures 3 and 4 show the weird shape of the retainer, not being flat...

My questions are

1. What would you guys recommend? Easiest way is getting a replacement ignition housing, but mine being a locking column, I've been searching for one for months, but can't find one. Anyone here have one for sale by any chance??

2. I figured I could possibly fill the gap somehow, and was thinking that ''shim stock'' would be best. Any advice on that?

3. Anyone have the retainer for sale, or know where to find one? It's OEM part number 45269-36010

View attachment 2253073

View attachment 2253074

View attachment 2253075

View attachment 2253076

contact Mark.

@65swb45

he will have this part for you .............

@Vinny C

Are you certain that bearing wore out the casting, or did someone replace the original bearing with one that was smaller in diameter and thicker?

@Vinny C

Are you certain that bearing wore out the casting, or did someone replace the original bearing with one that was smaller in diameter and thicker?
Yes. The ovalized/odd shape indicates the casting is clearly worn out. I have ordered a brand new bearing anyway at Toyota, and it’s exactly the same dimension, thickness and diameter

Hello to all,

My questions are

View attachment 2253073

View attachment 2253074

View attachment 2253075

View attachment 2253076

Hey Vinny ,

i would consider this personally , in your shoes a Pennies from Heaven opertunity

take note the price is in CAD so lower for US dollar

i have no affiliation , except to Help you out in any way i can ........... :cool:

check it out , i consider the price point to be way better then average , and it includes the missing piece u need to i think ?

Hello to all,

My questions are

View attachment 2253073

View attachment 2253074

View attachment 2253075

View attachment 2253076
Thanks for the detailed images in this thread. I just ordered a new retainer as the previous one is bent and doubled up so as to hold bearing in place. My bearing protrudes out about 1/8th inch from housing. Before I order a new one, can you measure the old OEM bearing dimensions #45269-36010?
011C05D9-80B2-4CDA-9A52-D56BB85D075D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed images in this thread. I just ordered a new retainer as the previous one is bent and doubled up so as to hold bearing in place. My bearing protrudes out about 1/8th inch from housing. Before I order a new one, can you measure the old OEM bearing dimensions #45269-36010?
View attachment 2290273
Please disregard this request. I pulled bearing out easily but did notice a mysterious metal clip that is not listed in FSM. My guess is the PO uses the clip (not ring, shaft snap #90520-17042) to off set the wear inside the bearing housing.

2C37CF55-2B16-4BFA-A133-F80995573F92.jpeg

57164F24-4C34-41B7-A0EF-CD6BC0658363.jpeg

image shows bearing protruding out of the housing by 1/8th inch.
2418E74B-65F5-4E1E-9DF9-2AF10ADD0B13.jpeg

Before I order a new key bracket housing, can someone let me know when installing new bearing, does it sit flush when first setting it inside the housing? Or, is there force required when screwing in retainer to push in and hold bearing inside.

I'm the guy selling the part from ebay. Let me know if you have any other questions. It's easier to talk here 👍

Please disregard this request. I pulled bearing out easily but did notice a mysterious metal clip that is not listed in FSM. My guess is the PO uses the clip (not ring, shaft snap #90520-17042) to off set the wear inside the bearing housing.

View attachment 2290520
View attachment 2290522
image shows bearing protruding out of the housing by 1/8th inch.
View attachment 2290523
Before I order a new key bracket housing, can someone let me know when installing new bearing, does it sit flush when first setting it inside the housing? Or, is there force required when screwing in retainer to push in and hold bearing inside.
@ AckCruisers - You’re welcome for the pictures! Glad you were able to pull your bearing out. I’m pretty sure you have the dame problem as me. That mysterious metal “clip” seems to be there to fill the gap in the worn housing like you said... To answer your last question, Absolutely no force is required when screwing the retainer, the bearing fits flush/snug in place and is flush to the ridge of the housing, it does not protrude. I ended up filling the gap on mine with epoxy, so the bearing is in place with no play, and I kept my original housing... Hope this helps you, if you have any more questions don’t hesitate.

I'm the guy selling the part from ebay. Let me know if you have any other questions. It's easier to talk here 👍
Thanks for answering my questions yesterday on ebay. I’m inspecting my entire steering column as there are a few things missing and not put together correctly. Also noticed rag joint is torn. Working through these issues to determine if ignition bracket needs replacing.

The problem was the rag joint was not all the way down on spline on my 1976 FJ40. Also, the joint was not OEM. Installed new ”Coupling Assembly, Flexi” (Rag joint) OEM #45230-36010. While at it, installed the hole cover main shaft seal OEM #45292-60011 and the bearing sits perfectly in the upper bracket assembly.
4F7C1EA6-E632-4D2D-9B2A-323055D3203D.jpeg

5686C26B-CF47-4495-B2A7-955CAFE174A8.jpeg

70F5F771-213D-4943-B6B1-CEC64BCB64B3.jpeg

Rag Joint “Coupling Assembly, Flexi” #45230-36010 and Shaft Seal #45292-60011
8E9A07E1-91EE-4B7A-94CA-27A3B29C9429.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom