Upper ball joint boot replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, I have a 2003 Land Cruiser I'd like to replace the upper ball joint boots. I've searched and searched and I can't find a simple thread explaining the procedure. Can anybody help me out? The boots have small tears they still have grease in them but like to replace them before it becomes a problem.

Pretty straight forward:

I might be missing a step, but basically
  • Remove wheel
  • Loosen nut on ball joint, separate UCA from Steering knuckle, support/tie off knuckle from falling to the side.
  • Snip wires holding the old boot, remove boot, clean away old grease,
  • Inspect ball joint for wear and make sure its in good shape for rebooting,
  • Install new boot with new grease that comes with the kit, install wire to secure boot,
  • Re assemble in reverse order
  • :banana:
Check some CV rebuild threads that might have pictures of these first few steps and techniques for separating the balljoint from the steering knuckle. Check the FAQ.

Thanks. So sounds pretty straightforward. It's the part about separating the UCA from the knuckle that I'm held up on. I read something about whacking it with a big hammer but I don't know where to whack it I don't want to hit it in the wrong place. I looked in the FAQ I didn't see it. I'll look again in the meantime if anybody has any input I appreciate it thanks.
So far I've jacked it up put it up on jack stands pulled the wheels, put a jack under the lower control arm to bring it up a bit don't know if that's necessary I'll hold off till I hear something different

Thanks that helps a lot. Also I did find in FAQ the pictorial directions to replace the UCA with the Slee unit.... off to the auto parts store to get a puller. Thanks both of you!

Good luck!

So, came apart easy peasy. All I did was loosen the castle nut a bit, tap it with a hammer, but first put a strap around it to keep it from going over the place, came right apart . Ball joint is beautiful.

One last question how do I get the new ring on the boot once it's in place. Or in other words, what's the magic trick for getting the ring on the boot?

The wire in the (Toyota) kit doesnt work like the original. And the instructions dont say how to install it.

Heres my technique: If youve ever wire tied a set of grips on a dirt bike handle bar youll know what I mean. Take two wraps with the wire around the top of the boot- (wire recessed in the little groove in the boot) With a set of pliers, vise grip or better wire twitsing plier, twist the two ends of the wire together and continue twisting as the creates a tight single strand of the two twisted wires. Tighten it just snug enough to put pressure around the boot to keep it from slipping off, but not so tight it cuts the rubber or breaks the wire. Snip the excess wire off with a diagonal cutter leaving a small twisted 2-3mm long nub. Gently push the nub down flat next to the wire.

This has worked for me on the LBJ boots Ive replaced (and countless dirt bike grips)

The kit I bought comes with the same wrap ring as OEM. I'm going to play with it if I can't figure out how to get it on there I will safety wire as you suggest. I have some left over from my dirt bike days thanks for tip.

Thanks all for the great and quick replys. Been on the site for a while. This was my first posting. Loving my 03 LC. Bought it with 225000 miles. West Texas car, great maintenance history, no rust. It was a long-term corporate lease Highway Cruiser. Great condition inside and out. No oil leaks, no issues, just these rubber boots and I'm going to reband my CV boots, little leak there but that's it.

One thing I would add to the process is:
BEFORE you tear open the little bag with the new grease in it knead the grease around in the bag thoroughly with your fingers to re-homogenize it as it seems to separate somewhat over time while sitting on the shelf.

My trick for the retaining wire:
Place wire loop over the ball joint boot. Then with fingernail or small screwdriver (careful not to puncture boot), push one end of the wire up to the groove, and then slide your finger (screwdriver) around the boot continuing to press the ring up into the groove. The key is to just start with one end and loop around until you get to the other end. Don't force it all in at once. This expands the ring just enough to get into the groove without over expanding it. One day I'll make a video.

Thanks!! I did that and it worked. A video of that would be great because it took awhile for me to get my head around it but once I did and was careful it happened.

Anyone has a part number or link for reboot kit for 100 series land cruiser? Thanks.

I believe the PN is 4332469085.

From my maintenance list:
Part No.: 4332469085
FRONT UPPER BALL JOINT DUST - $11.78

Last edited:
IMAG6058.jpg

Hopefully this can be of help to someone:

Dude you got SOOOO lucky on that stud just slipping right out! Soo jealous, seriously was crouched in my fender, wailing on the arm with a 10lb sledge because the HF puller didn't fit properly! It eventually came loose and good thing is that you CAN get a pretty good wind-up in the fender!!! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom