Upgrading the brakes on 2010 GX 460?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know much about this brake kit, as I haven't convinced myself that it is worth it to spend the money to upgrade the calipers. However, the web site does say that the new calipers allow you to use thicker discs, which will help with heat dissipation. From my experience, aftermarket brake calipers are always expensive because of the engineering, development, and testing involved. Brakes are a safety item, so I would hope a manufacturer conducts sufficient lifetime testing prior to release to the public.

I would be interested to see if calipers from an LX570 would be an upgrade over ours, as they would fit a larger-diameter brake rotor. Unfortunately, they may also necessitate an 18" wheel to provide sufficient clearance.
Humm... :hmm: Retrofitting the LX570/Landcruiser 200 series rotors and and calibers may require quite a bit of fabricating considering that the mounting for the calibers will have to sit further out from the center of the hub. This will increase torque leverage the further the caliber hangs out there.

Reviving this thread, I’m looking to swap the pads and rotors front and back. Looking at the EBS lines and trying to make sense of alll the options and colors. Anyone have issues with the drilled and slotted rotors? What pads y’all have and how have they performed. Will also be upgrading to stainless (extended) lines and flushing the fluid.

Reviving this thread, I’m looking to swap the pads and rotors front and back. Looking at the EBS lines and trying to make sense of alll the options and colors. Anyone have issues with the drilled and slotted rotors? What pads y’all have and how have they performed. Will also be upgrading to stainless (extended) lines and flushing the fluid.
So I installed the drilled and slotted rotors with Orange stuff pads about two years ago. They lasted about a year, then the passenger front rotor warped (regardless of if “warped” is the terminology you want to use, I know there is some argument about that term, that is for all intents and purposes what happened). Replaced the front brakes to the slotted rotors and orange stuff pads, they lasted 6 months, then the front driver side warped. I just replaced those and the calipers after EBC sent me a warranty set of front brakes with slotted rotors and red stuff pads. I’ll see how that goes, I’ve followed the break in process for every set and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I did some cursory searching and found I’m not alone, warped rotors seem to be an issue with the GX. Maybe not a super common one, but I’ve just been chalking it up to the lift/armor/full drawers when there are stock GXs having the issue.

TLDR: I’ve had a rough time with EBC brakes on the GX. Used them all the time on other vehicles, and they were awesome.

Just re-reading the thread bump, and noticed that @zhs is in Odessa, Ukraine. He hasn't been around much since then, hope all is well.

I have a rear caliper with frozen piston. Gonna start with replacing that and see if braking comes up to the "below-par-but-barely-acceptable" level.

So I installed the drilled and slotted rotors with Orange stuff pads about two years ago. They lasted about a year, then the passenger front rotor warped (regardless of if “warped” is the terminology you want to use, I know there is some argument about that term, that is for all intents and purposes what happened). Replaced the front brakes to the slotted rotors and orange stuff pads, they lasted 6 months, then the front driver side warped. I just replaced those and the calipers after EBC sent me a warranty set of front brakes with slotted rotors and red stuff pads. I’ll see how that goes, I’ve followed the break in process for every set and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I did some cursory searching and found I’m not alone, warped rotors seem to be an issue with the GX. Maybe not a super common one, but I’ve just been chalking it up to the lift/armor/full drawers when there are stock GXs having the issue.

TLDR: I’ve had a rough time with EBC brakes on the GX. Used them all the time on other vehicles, and they were awesome.
Def the info I’m looking for. I wonder if the non drilled rotors would hold up better?

Def the info I’m looking for. I wonder if the non drilled rotors would hold up better?
I’m not a brake scientist, but that was my thought. More structural integrity/material to hopefully prevent it from warping. Honestly if these warp again I’m just gonna just go to a standard rotor with good pads.

But I’m sure some others can chime in with different experiences.

Zero issues with my PowerStops, in fact they are the best brakes I've ever had.

I'm running basic Bosch solid rotors (were brand new on the rig when I got it), Bosch quiet-cast pads, Napa reman calipers, and PowerStop SS lines, all front and rear. No issues with warping in ~3 years and ~35K, including on the skinnier 470 front rotors. Braking performance is good, including the pedal feel. The PowerStop lines were only $92 or so for all 6 on RockAuto.

That being said I'll probably do the PowerStop drilled/slotted upgrade in the next couple of years, along with GX460 front calipers, as folks seem to like it, and I'd like to pull our camper out West where braking demands and overheat potential will be higher.

I'll be installing Stoptech slotted rotors and pads this weekend. I tend to avoid drilled rotors since they have a habit of cracking but I had a good experience with Stoptech slotted rotors in my Fiesta ST and hope to have the same with the GX.

FYI the front caliper bolts are kind of a SOB to get off but otherwise it's going smoothly.

20230812_131415.jpg

Update: The little clips must be for a different vehicle/caliper that uses the same pad. I saved them in case I'm wrong.

The new rear pads came with more shims and clips than came off the old pads. Anyone know what those little clips are meant to do?

20230812_170208.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom