UPDATE: Quarantine project - Birf reseal, missing snap-rings on axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Taking advantage of the "staycation" to get some work done. My Birfs have been leaking, so taking on the reseal. It's my first time, but got the drivers side all apart yesterday, between other duties with kids and what not, and all came apart yesterday.
I just bought my 80 in October. P.O. put Aisin manual hubs on it, and also the Trail Gear chromo spindle but kit. Well, upon disassembly, I discovered the snap ring missing from the end of the axle. Along with some other issues. I know I need to replace the missing snap-rings. Are they something that can be matched with a "generic" snap-ring? Anyone have a spec? Or I'm down and out until I can get an OEM replacement?

IMG_20200402_165723652.jpg

IMG_20200402_170051118.jpg

IMG_20200402_165733473.jpg

The OEM snap ring is a lot thicker than most "generic" snaps.

Call Cruiser Outfitters and I'd bet they can ship them quickly.

I’m guessing your local Toy dealer could probably get some overnite in a pinch, probably not a lot of $’s....

Because I am very very busy today, oem snap ring thickness is about .092'', i.d. is 1.208''. Im not a machinist, Chinese calipers. Use whatever you can find in a pinch, maybe stack two to get the thickness. The right part is the right answer, but its a 'Cruiser, not a watch.

I actually went and got my calipers, along with some other tools I needed, from work this afternoon. Since we are temporarily shut down, I had to wait until someone was gonna be there. If I can't find the O.E. snaps reasonably, I'll see what I can come up with.

Update: Finally got it all done. Was working on it a little at a time, between helping with kids being home and everything else that is happening.
When I bought the rig, the PO gave me a box full of extras. I decided to look thru it, and in there was a Ziploc with the original drove plates, and behold, the missing snap rings!

I don't think I need to go thru a long wrote up on this project, as there is already so many on here. However, I'll be happy to answer questions about things I learned. All in all, it was an easy job. Incredibly messy, and a lot of clean up work. Since I had the extra time and wasn't in a dire need to have it, I spent a lot of extra time washing, scraping, and painting. 4 rolls of blue shop towns, 2 gallons of Purple Power, 3 cans of brake Clean, and about 4 lbs of grease. And sadly, due to a lack of PPE around town, I did a good chunk of it bare handed. 😟

IMG_20200406_181941964.jpg

IMG_20200406_140048494.jpg

IMG_20200407_163905418.jpg

IMG_20200406_172518762.jpg

IMG_20200408_170428861.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom