Unsolved mystery of carb bowl drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys,
I think I may have some progress.
Most reports I see is when people rebuild the carb with a new gasket set. So did I.

I noticed the drain does not only happen after a test drive when I shut down the engine, but also during driving actually. During a test drive, I stopped and checked the (closed) secondary throttle and saw fuel collecting there while the engine was still running idle.
As said, I have a dual carb and had fuel draining in both. So I removed the cover of the 'Idle Compensator' and replaced the gasket by the original one, and made sure the screws are really, really tight.
And that actually did it for me, in both carbs.
I did several testdrives, while stopping and checking, and also after shutting the down the engine, and I don't see fuel anymore on the secondary throttle and the fuel level stays high.

It would be helpful if someone could confirm this:
- when fuel drains from the bowl, you see it drip onto the secondary throttle valve
- you carb has an Idle Compensator at the back
- the gasket for the Idle Compensator was replaced by new from the gasket kit.
- tightening the screws actually helps
Thanks!

20 minutes testdrive today, afterwards the fuel drained empty in the secondary of one carb, the other one stays good.
The search continues...

Check the air vent in the top cover for the secondary slow jet circuit. It is supposed to prevent fuel siphoning as long a it is not obstructed. Mine would leak out of the slow jet even though the vent hole was clear, so the only way that could happen is by surface tension and wicking up the rough surface of the slow jet circuit in the top cover after cleaning it in carb dip. If I still had one of these carbs, I would try applying a thin film of gasoline resistant epoxy in the bottom part of the hole to see if this prevents wicking. Either that or a short piece of teflon tube. Gas can’t climb a hydrophobic surface.

Check the air vent in the top cover for the secondary slow jet circuit.
Actually my model does not have a second slow yet, there's only one.
I see some models have also 2 cut-off solenoids, mine has only one.
So I still need to find a diagram that matches my model.

As I noticed the fuel level was too high in both carbs, I opened the top covers and adjusted the float.
(Actually the level is too low now, so I have to do it again).
But now the left carb starts leaking fuel again on the secondary throttle valve after a test drive.
And I cannot see from which hole the fuel is coming...
And it goes fast, the whole barrel empties in less than a minute.

Actually my model does not have a second slow yet, there's only one.
Correction, it does. I found it together with the second Main Jet in the second venturi. That one has 2 brass pipes.
This second slow jet is connected to an opening in the housing that runs down just on top of the second throttle valve.
I check by spraying WD40 oil in it and they're all clear, not blocked.
So how can the fuel run through the second slow jet and down the throttle instead of vaporising through the second slow jet?
If the second venturi gasket is not good, I guess fuel could just overflow like that...

It flows by surface tension. Fill a glass with water and put a strip of paper in the glass draped over the side to the bottom and see what happens. Reformulated gasoline has a higher surface tension than non-oxygenated gas. That is why it creeps over the top of the slow jet and drips from the slot above the throttle plate.

Update of the day: I'm now using 2 gaskets under the second venturi, and now the bleeding has stopped.
After the testdrive, the fuel does not run onto the second throttle valve anymore.
And fuel level in the bowl/barrel stays high.
Problem solved, I guess. And cause: siphoning as Pin_Head mentioned a few times.

F16Roo Some good ideas here but wanted to add my 2c.
I believe it being a new problem is a clue.
As pinhead has pointed out make sure your solenoid O ring is good but wanting to add the best o ring will not help if your solenoid's seat/plunger is shot and leaking.

This is my situation. I put fluorescent dye in the carb. I see the leaks. Can someone explain the problem? I know little about carbs.

E294D692-B245-4F74-830C-F212B379025E.jpeg

FAA994F4-CFA8-492B-816B-C9EE06620CBD.jpeg

977643E8-85DF-48D2-BA97-FFBDE1E6544E.jpeg

9221B492-561B-48BC-B5F0-A154AEA8C627.jpeg

7C2794DB-AB12-446E-B12C-C7FB34CF2931.jpeg

It appears to be seeping out of your secondary around the throttle shaft, so it is probably either seeping out of the slow jet circuit or perhaps event he secondary main nozzle. Get your fluorescent light in there and see where it is dripping from inside.

Remove air cleaner, open choke, and look inside. Look for gas drips on the throttle butterflies, then open the throttle and look for gas in the bottom of the manifold. If it is leaking from the main jet, you will see a drip trail on the center of the butterfly. If it drips from the slow jet transition slot, it is harder to see but you will often see gas on the bottom of the manifold.

Having a similar issue as post #54. Throttle shaft hinge on the primary side is leaky. Stock 2 bbl Aisan on my F145. Fuel bowl will empty completely after sitting for a few days.

If the primary throttle shaft looks wet, what’s the source of the leak or how can I break the wicking/siphon effect?

IMG_4609.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom