Unloved '96 FZJ 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going about my daily travels, I came across another white '96 80. This one has about 140K on the clock and has had no love in a long time, if ever. The owner is a liar, says he's the orig. owner and its never been wheeled when Carfax shows he's 2nd owner and the skid plates show its been wheeled. Front and rear bumpers are bent up but doesn't appear to be heavy impacts. Looks like it has never been parked in a garage, and I derived from Carfax that its first owner was a corporate lease and did about 20K miles the first year. Needs tires, suspension looks like its sagging, and oil is leaking.

The plus is the lockers and there is no roof rack or deflector. So, enough of the blah blah. Seller wants $10K. The thing has been sitting for several weeks now; I'm thinking of offering maybe $5000-6500 very most. With the expectation of pumping another $5-6K for "repairs" and upgrades (ARB, OME, etc.) Anyone here have experience with the 80's at the opposite end of the creampuff spectrum? The unloved and abused red-headed step-child? Does the Toyota reliabity help them overcome their traumatic upbringing?

have you looked for undisclosed body and undercvarriage repairs/damage?

RBLACAUSA said:
Going about my daily travels, I came across another white '96 80. This one has about 140K on the clock and has had no love in a long time, if ever. The owner is a liar, says he's the orig. owner and its never been wheeled when Carfax shows he's 2nd owner and the skid plates show its been wheeled. Front and rear bumpers are bent up but doesn't appear to be heavy impacts. Looks like it has never been parked in a garage, and I derived from Carfax that its first owner was a corporate lease and did about 20K miles the first year. Needs tires, suspension looks like its sagging, and oil is leaking.

The plus is the lockers and there is no roof rack or deflector. So, enough of the blah blah. Seller wants $10K. The thing has been sitting for several weeks now; I'm thinking of offering maybe $5000-6500 very most. With the expectation of pumping another $5-6K for "repairs" and upgrades (ARB, OME, etc.) Anyone here have experience with the 80's at the opposite end of the creampuff spectrum? The unloved and abused red-headed step-child? Does the Toyota reliabity help them overcome their traumatic upbringing?

This all has to do with gas prices IMO.

I've just picked up a 96 with 145k on her green, lockers, no roof rack, leaks a little oil (pan), but body is in great shape (no rust), and never been off roaded.... well never REALLY off roaded unless the mall was surrounded by dirt.

$6995.00

I wouldn't even give $5 - $6k for that, there's just too many good deals out there right now.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45481

semlin said:
have you looked for undisclosed body and undercvarriage repairs/damage?

I haven't done a real close up yet. The 80 has been in SoCal its whole life and we don't usually have rust problems here, though the paint really needs to be rubbed out. If I proceed I'll poke the sunroof drain holes w/a zip tie and also have the rig professionally inspected.

Ultimauk: I agree gas prices are an issue, but also the '95-97's are nearing the end of a ten year cycle now and their "typical" (mall-cruising non-wheeling) owners are going to trading out of them as they hit the 10-yrs. and/or 150K+ mileage mark.

I'll probably let this one go too. Thanks for the input, guys.

RBLACAUSA said:
The owner is a liar

You just answered the question.

Run Forrest, RUN............................ :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom