Universal Catalytic Conv (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sacto60

1987 FJ60 2" OME 33s
Threads
Like many in CA, I struggled w/ smogging my 87 60. I had a shop install what apparently is an inexpensive but effective Universal Cat. I just purchased a new one-piece exhaust and stainless J pipe from SOR, and would like it installed. From some SOR pages I see that the OEM Cat has the bolt pattern while the Univ one doesn't- just round it seems. To keep the existing Cat it looks like some cutting and welding is necessary, or should I buy an OEM Cat and bolt it on?

California requires a CARB certified CAT so your universal will not work unless it specifically says that it is CA-Compliant.
Normally, from my experience, what happens is the exhaust shop will cut the flanges off the old cat and then weld onto the new to make it fit or will simply weld everything together. You can specify to them that you want everything flanged and bolted together at the junctions but that will be a bit more costly.

The Universal CAT is fine, any Muff shop will weld it back in, but if you're putting in a new system, and want it all bolt-in, then the Magnaflow listed by OS is the way to go. Same odd bolt pattern as the OE CAT. I use it.

If you have a way to acquire the 49-State version, it's the same and half the price.

I had an exhaust shop install the weld-in version of this Magnaflow 2 years ago. Quick, easy thing for any shop to do. Passed smog right after. The pipe on both sides of the cat can be cut and the new cat welded in without touching the bolt flanges, so you can still go to a full bolt-in down the road if you need to. (Though a new cat should last a good long while). I chose the weld-in because I knew my original bolt/flange hardware would be a bitch to remove.

Spike is correct.... the 49-state version is the same unit as the CA version, at half the price. You're not that far from Reno.

Those are the CA legal (CARB Cert) units. The 49-State versions are identical except they don't have a CARB sticker on them. That sticker cost $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom