Unexpected Christmas Gift - What Now.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Happy New Year!!!

This little toy was waiting for me under the tree. Always had a desire to learn how to weld so now it looks like 2020 will be the year it happens. I have never held a welding gun in my life and as close as I have ever got to welding was watching @cruisermatt weld up my caster plates. Been out travelling for the holidays and so far I haven't opened the box. I have started to watch some youtube tutorials to at least give me an idea on where to start.
I'm guessing the first thing that most novices make is a welding cart / bench and it sounds like a good place to start.
Any advice on gases (where to get them, types etc) in the Orlando area would be greatly received. Same goes for any other welding advice.

Lincoln Electric 140 Amp Weld Pak 140 HD MIG Wire Feed Welder with Magnum 100L Gun, Sample spools of MIG Wire and Flux Wire, 115V-K2514-1 - The Home Depot

Nice, I wish you would have asked me though, I would have recommended a different machine. Let me know if you need any advice.

I had no idea about this at all. It is still unopened so returning it is not out of the question. What one would you have recommended?

For one thing you’re going to want one that runs on 220v for truck stuff. It’s just better.
And if you decide you want to do aluminum and run a spoolgun you’ll be able to.
Most of the new machines can run both 110v/220v so you can at least get started if you don’t have a 220v outlet wired yet (most don’t)

I personally like Miller MIGs better, I own two Lincoln MIGs currently and they get the job done but my next mig will be a Miller. Don’t be afraid of used machines, some great deals are out there. Often times “they don’t make em like they used to” can be very true.

Depends on what you want to do @Irish Reiver and what your budget is. That little buzz box is good for thin material and small projects, just doesn't have enough juice for the thicker stuff.

I am by all means a novice welder I bought a Miller auto set mig welder I wanted a machine that could do whatever I ever needed it to do it will operate at 120 or 240 volts. What I like is I set the wire thickness and material thickness and it sets itself up. That's an advantage to me. When you watch the welding videos the experts make it look simple. It's not as easy as it looks! It cost a little more but hopefully I won't be buying another machine any time soon. That's my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom