Ultimate OEM 60 series parts still in stock (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The disappearance of the OEM 60 alternator has me wondering about the 62 alternator. What is the health of that unit in the Toyota US parts inventory?

Alright! A good surprise. I was expecting like 5 left. :)

27060-61091-84: Reman FJ62/FJ80 alternator is a C5 class code. That means its life is not too bad. Currently only 3 in the US. My depot has none.

Thanks for checking! I had no idea the early 80 alternator was the same, but then again they both share the same engine... :)

Cool, a higher output 90A huh?

Comes as part of the louver, just like the rear side vent grilles.

BTW, on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle I harvested rear side vent grilles from my '84 FJ60 parts vehicle, my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle, and my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. Out of those there were one each uncracked left and right vent grilles, several decent gaskets for each side to choose from, and no good flaps on the vent tube inside the rear pillar. I pulled the best two gaskets, which had hardened almost to the point of being brittle, and soaked them overnight in a 4:1 solution of isopropyl alcohol/oil of wintergreen. Softened them up nicely (but they swelled up a bit) and was able to loosely attach them back on the plastic grilles (spray painted the grilles first with Testors One Coat Lacquer, 1849 Graphite Dust). After a day or two the gaskets shrunk back to a tight fit around the perimeter. Meanwhile, I cut out new flaps using thin rubber coated paper gasket material from NAPA and restapled them to the vent tubes. Both vent tube/grille/gasket assemblies are now back on the '86 FJ60, looking practically brand new.

View attachment 1436409

The grille on the left is after painting, the grille on the right is before painting.

View attachment 1436410

I would have not utilized oil of wintergreen. If you clean the o-ring with alcohol then apply DC55 ( Dow Corning 55 or a comparable product) with out the alcohol mix, it would be better for the o-ring and its longevity. Swelling of an old o-ring is normal when you utilize a rejuvenator like DC55. the key component in your Wintergreen oil destroys o-rings. Your oil of winter green- "Methyl salicylate is an organic ester naturally produced by many species of plants, particularly wintergreens"
We ( ROV guys) stay away from that stuff when considering what cleaners to use on plastics and rubbers, anything like SimpleGreen, that has this in it along with other chemicals eats plastics/rubbers. Sure it looks great the first few times you clean it and it will clean it good. Then after a few months you might not notice the discoloration, then the hardening and then the ultra brittle death.... Being on the vents you probably woný take off again any time soon your probably ok. But if you wait 5 years of sun baking it on until you do, I would bet it comes apart in pieces.

o-ring study
eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Methyl Propyl Salicylate

I would have not utilized oil of wintergreen. If you clean the o-ring with alcohol then apply DC55 ( Dow Corning 55 or a comparable product) with out the alcohol mix, it would be better for the o-ring and its longevity. Swelling of an old o-ring is normal when you utilize a rejuvenator like DC55. the key component in your Wintergreen oil destroys o-rings. Your oil of winter green- "Methyl salicylate is an organic ester naturally produced by many species of plants, particularly wintergreens"
We ( ROV guys) stay away from that stuff when considering what cleaners to use on plastics and rubbers, anything like SimpleGreen, that has this in it along with other chemicals eats plastics/rubbers. Sure it looks great the first few times you clean it and it will clean it good. Then after a few months you might not notice the discoloration, then the hardening and then the ultra brittle death.... Being on the vents you probably woný take off again any time soon your probably ok. But if you wait 5 years of sun baking it on until you do, I would bet it comes apart in pieces.

o-ring study
eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Methyl Propyl Salicylate

Thanks for the info, I'll give the Dow Corning 55 a try on my other set of gaskets.

It would make them last long time. We use it in subsea applications. If it can help o-rings in the harshest environments on earth, on your Yota running trails will be piece of cake. :)

It would make them last long time. We use it in subsea applications. If it can help o-rings in the harshest environments on earth, on your Yota running trails will be piece of cake. :)
I know a little about subsea applications. Back in my younger days I designed fixed offshore oil and gas drilling and production platforms for the Gulf of Mexico, including this one:

Vermilion Block 380 "A" (1).jpg

Vermilion-Block-380-'A'.jpg

BTW, the fire was not my fault, it started during routine platform maintenance more than 30 years after installation, long after I left the industry.

What line of work are you in?

Dude, 4Cruisers, what year was that bottom picture like early 80s?

Dude, 4Cruisers, what year was that bottom picture like early 80s?
You're right on, late March or early April 1980. Those days that platform was considered to be deep water, Vermilion Block 380 "A" is about 110 miles offshore in 340 feet of water. Details here: Vermilion Block 380 platform - Wikipedia

Unfortunately, there are many errors on the page (the information not added by me :)). The platform is located in Vermilion Block 380. The platform, as far as I know, is still in place and producing oil and natural gas. The fate shows as "exploded" - that sounds sensational, but as you've probably heard before, "stories of it's demise are very much exaggerated". One news outlet's headline stated "Another Rig Explodes in the Gulf", even though it was not an explosion and it's not a rig, it's a fixed offshore platform - two different animals. However, you have to keep in mind that this was only about four months after Deepwater Horizon. As a matter of fact, the fire started on the lower deck of the platform while the platform was being painted. The accident progression was a combination of a lot of different interdependent actions. For those in the industry, and others interested in accident progression, here's some interesting reading:

press0525.aspx

I have worked on the Horizon before its tragic end in early 07'. Currently at work now at BP's Thunderhorse field in 6200 fsw. ( feet of sea water.) This is technically called Ultra Deep Water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom