UCA cotter pin broke, now castle nut stripped and can’t remove. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I snapped an axle down here in Baja … good news is I have a spare. Bad news is that when I was taking the cotter pin out of the castle nut on the upper control arm ball joint, the pin broke. I got most of the pin out, and being a complete idiot, I am, I thought I could just take the castle nut off. There was maybe 2mm of it sticking out and after fiddling with it for an hour I lost my battle with patience. Bad idea because the little tiny short piece of the cotter pin that was still on the backside, jammed up the threads and stripped out the castle nut so now I can’t remove it. It is almost off … but that’s all she I’ll move. Just free spinning now.

Both insults and ideas are welcome. I don’t have a grinder, but I might be able to find one. Or I was thinking about one of those tools that splits the nut? I’m not sure what kind of shape my ball joint threads are going to be in. I think I have a tap and die kit and I might be able to chase those threads if I need to just at the end of the ball joint thread. Both upper control arms n ball joints are brand new OEM. I have spare castle nuts and pins. Don’t have spare ball joints.

I’m currently in Mexico so there’s not a place to rent a ball joint press kit. To make things more interesting Hurricane Hillary is coming right at me. And I’m stranded lol.

weld another nut to the nut to remove it, or cut it diagonally and split it to hammer it off

@bj70bc I don’t know if welding in that would work because it’s the threads on the inside of the nut that seem to be stripped so it’s just spinning. I think cutting it might work maybe. I have an impact driver and I might be able to source a small cutting wheel down here somewhere or …

Getting a nut splitter and thread chaser. I couldn’t tell what the pitch was on that upper ball joint turns out my castle nuts thread onto my wheel, studs quite nicely which are M14 x 1.5. So I’ll be getting a thread chaser for that size just in case those threads are chingered up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom