U-joint size change? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting an NV4500 in my '72 FJ40 and have to have my drive shafts alterred. I was wondering if it's possible to change to larger u-joints and if so what size and how?

Thanks

Honestly, the Toyota joint is about as tuff as they come. There are some in the rockcrawl community who specifically install either a Land Cruiser or Toyota minitruck joint because of their long life, strength, and operating angles.

I've never replaced one personally....since 1989...and I bet they were original on the truck from the factory too.

Talk with Jesse at HighAngleDriveline.com - he's quite familiar with the rockcrawl clowns and Toyota stuff and can give some advice too.

IMO, adjust your length as needed, and you'll likely need a CV in the rear. For that, I recommend either modifying a front CV shaft form a 84-85 minitruck or the rear CV shaft from a 60-62 series Cruiser. My rear shaft is a 84 CV, Cruiser slip yoke, and Cruiser rear flange. Jesse built it about a year ago, nice stuff. (My front is a Tom Woods shaft and it's been trouble free for 5 years now, but is finally getting due for replacement...)

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=6628;start=msg53877#msg53877 date=1066856204]

For that, I recommend either modifying a front CV shaft form a 84-85 minitruck or the rear CV shaft from a 60-62 series Cruiser[/quote]

I know that the mini's run cv's on the front, and the earlier 60 series ran them too, till about 86, and then went to a non-cv front shaft. I am not familiar with a 60 or a 62 series that have a factory rear cv driveshaft. Do you have one of these Brian? Are you talking about the rear section of the front shaft?

whoooooops....FJ60 FRONT shaft....

gotta learn to type slower than I think....or something...

[quote author=Captain link=board=1;threadid=6628;start=msg53864#msg53864 date=1066855000]
I'm putting an NV4500 in my '72 FJ40 and have to have my drive shafts alterred. I was wondering if it's possible to change to larger u-joints and if so what size and how?

Thanks
[/quote]

QUESTIONS:

How is your truck configured? Stock engine, or SBC, Suspension-SO/SU.

Is this going to be a modest wheeler/daily driver- or full on trail truck?

You can go through the process of swapping to the larger 4sp style joint and shafts if you want, but unless you plan on getting throttle crazy, I do not think that you will have any issues. You will need to get the corresponding companion flanges for the differentials, along with a 4sp parking brake drum, and front output flange for the transfer case, and then the shafts, that you will need to have modified to fit your application.

Hope this helps.

Woody-do you think a 83 minitruck front shaft with stock cv will work also?How is it modified to fit my 72 40?

Only the front 10/84 and down had the double cardan joint. The transmission got longer in the 1985 model year(after 10/84) and Toyota could eliminate the c/v joint because of the longer front shaft. Interestingly the c/v joint is difficult to lubricate (it alone has 3 zerks and a shield) so it's a good thing most were not used much on most trucks out there.

I know Toyota had a couple different bolt patterns/sizes for both minitruck and Cruiser shafts....I'm honestly not sure if the 83 is the same as the 84/85 or not.

The "easiest" way to install is to use the slip/pinion side from the FJ40, use the CV end of the minitruck, and use new tube to put them together. Jesse at HighAngle gave me soom good guideance on the process and even had the CV portion in stock...I sent him a cut-off Cruiser slip for the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom