Turning a 4x6 box trailer into a sleeping unit x tent setup. Bad idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the wife tried and then quickly rejected sleeping on a 4" mattress topper that fit perfectly into my LX's raised platform. I'm fine with it, but it was too closed in for her. Won't do the rooftop thing, either.
I have a basic 4' x 6' box trailer. 2' high walls, swing out gate. It would be a hair short (I'm 6'2") but has anyone seen a quality effort to make these into tent/bed setups? Getting in/out sure would be a breeze.

i wouldn't say it's a bad idea. put pencil to paper, doodle out your thinking. i'd probably do 3 or 4 simple hoops n a tarp. leave it collapsed till you get to camp. think covered wagon. with the hoops n tarp you can retain the utility of the trailer. just my 2cents

I like it. The trailer actually came with 3 or 4 flexible poles (white water pipe) with crimped ends. These inserted into metal catches mounted on top of the sidewalls, and added maybe a foot of height at the midpoint. I could finagle something that would create a little more height maybe.

I like it. The trailer actually came with 3 or 4 flexible poles (white water pipe) with crimped ends. These inserted into metal catches mounted on top of the sidewalls, and added maybe a foot of height at the midpoint. I could finagle something that would create a little more height maybe.
i was thinking minimum 2' height on the arch, but i'm vertically challenged so don't need too much room :hillbilly:

Make a Aluminum lid. then get a upholstery shop to make canvas walls so when you lift the lid it act like a hard top rtt tent

Something like this.

4DAAE1F6-E5F7-41E6-BC6B-FEDD1BE32F1C.jpeg

This is the actual blue trailer you see . But the op does not want a RTT.

FE79FD45-2FF5-40E1-94DD-2112014DDC85.jpeg

45762F5A-988B-49E9-9540-3B7780F3501E.jpeg

Yeah I get what you're angling to. Any OEM tent pop up tent system that roughly outlines the trailer, build a connection between the two.

Alt idea: welding a series of steel tubes, maybe 12" long or less...vertically-oriented, around o/s wall of trailer, They'd be minimially obtrusive. Then use those tubes as a "rod holders" for conduit and elbows to frame outline of a small elk (canvas) tent. Breakdown and set up would be slick. But I'd be having to pay for a custom canvas tent build. And maybe too hot in summer.

I have a Jeep Extreme Camper and it is a trailer that the top folds out to one side with legs for a queen size sleeping area, and then the tent with 3 hoops covers the sleeping area and the trailer which you can stand up in.

Sets up in about 15 minutes.

So you have standing up room, a 3 person couch, and the bed.

You may want to build something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom