Turn signals and Hazards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before Christmas I was driving home from work on the highway when I noticed a deer running in front of me. I turned on my hazard lights to warn other vehicles around me. After that my turn signals did not work. I replaced the turn signal flasher, removed & cleaned the turn signal assembly, checked grounding and fuses, the turn signals would still not work, hazards fine. Since then I removed the batteries to charge indoors after the vehicle insurance ran out. Today I re-installed the batteries, tried the turn signals and they worked fine but I then turned on the hazards and then same thing , the turn signals stopped working. This is very strange, has anyone an idea as what could be causing this behavior? thanks.

Are you referring to to the flasher relay as the turn signal flasher? Because it sounds like the relay is giving you issues.

I would inspect the grounds down by the fusebox...

So after checking the turn signal switch continuity I noticed terminal wires 2 & 7 never connected when activating a left or right turn movement. I removed the turn signal/hazard switch assembly and traced wires 2 & 7 to a PCB that the hazard rocker is connected to. After removing a metal cover on the PCB I was able to see how the hazard switch moved across metal wafers when being turned on and off. I cleaned and re greased the wafers and tightened down the metal can on the PCB. It appears the metal can was not on tight enough previously and prevented the wafers from being contacted properly when the hazard rocker switch was in the off position so therefore the turn signals would not work. Everything is operating fine now. This is similar to a previous problem I encountered with the turn signals that was fixed by cleaning the turn signal switch contacts. A more expensive option would have been to buy a new turn signal hazard switch assembly.

As a result of this repair I have an extra used working 81980-36060 flasher for sale.
$40 plus shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom