Turn signal and parking light problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This 2k TLC has 75k on it. No problems aside from this one.

When I use the left turn signal, the parking lights flash with it. This is with the parking lights off. When the parking lights are on, there is not a problem. This also only happens when i use the left turn signal, the right is uneffected.

Any ideas? Looks like I'll be tracing wires with the DVM this weekend.

I HAAAATTEE electrical demons like this.

Last edited:
That's a first for me. Never seen or heard of electrical demons in the TLC. Was it flooded?
I've seen similar electrical problems in old British vehicles -- they are actually quite (in)famous for that.

LT

No flood that I or carfax is aware of.

It is currently raining here though. But I would think most of the components that would affect this are in the cabin.

I believe that you have lost your ground on your trailer lights!

Moving wires around up under the dash near the driver's left foot (temporary) solved the problem. I'm suuure it'll come back. I'll go out and check out the trailer wiring job that was done. Its appeears to be a Reese hitch with factory wiring. At least the shrink wrap and wire look appears to be so, the ground.. not so much. The ground is fairly rusty that comes from a box cable tied (as best as i can tell) to a cross member. Maybe I'll disconnect the wiring should I continue to have problems.

Thnaks all!!

Wiring harness recall on 98-99

Hmm -- that mention of trailer wiring reminded me of this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=29687

Here's a snippet from one message in the thread:
Recall 99E012000: Trailer Hitch Kit Converter Shorting

Equipment Description: Towing hitch kits and aftermarket trailer towing wire harness converters for use on 1998-1999 Lexus LX470, and Toyota Land Cruisers. Due to inadequate waterproofing performance and improper installation location of the converter, which is mounted on the exterior of the vehicle, an electrical short circuit could occur if water enters the converter housing. The short circuit can cause a failure of the converter, and if a trailer is being towed at the time, can also cause failure of the trailer lights.
Dealers will replace the converter.
Owner notification began May 17, 1999.

But I think you're driving a 00 cruiser, right? So might not apply at all.

LT
:cool:

Hmm. If the aftermarket used an "old" harness that was desinged for the pre 2k LCs.. then that could be the culprit. There is a "control box" tied to a rear most cross member. I'll have to remove teh spare tire to really check into it. that'll happen a few weeks from now or so.

Thanks again.

The control box should have been mounted in the DS rear taillight. It cannot, well should not, come into contact with water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom