Turn Assist in low range not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wheeling this weekend. Low range. Crawl Control worked. However, not all of it. Got this error message in the center dash. “turn assist function not available check system operation conditions”.

Has anyone else experienced this? 21 200.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1553.jpeg

Wheeling this weekend. Low range. Crawl Control worked. However, not all of it. Got this error message in the center dash. “turn assist function not available check system operation conditions”.

Has anyone else experienced this? 21 200.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 3450787

Your center locker is activated. You have to unlock it to use turn assist.

Ok I’ll try that. I thought the @Eric Sarjeant video said you could use it with or with out CDL. One thing I tried tonight, and it worked was just put it in drive, vs S2 “manual” and it worked. But I did have the CDL open.

It effectively can’t work with the center diff locked.

As it is you’ll turn much shaper with it disengaged than with, since the front and rear axles are allowed to turn at different rates reflective of their very different radius in turns.

It effectively can’t work with the center diff locked.

As it is you’ll turn much shaper with it disengaged than with, since the front and rear axles are allowed to turn at different rates reflective of their very different radius in turns.
That does make sense in theory. We were in enough mud it all would have given way. VT Class 4 “roads”.

That does make sense in theory. We were in enough mud it all would have given way. VT Class 4 “roads”.
I get it. Most of the offroading I do is up in Colorado and CDL engaged would be just fine, but I've found the tight turns still do better with it off. So I tend to leave it disengaged unless its a particularly tough obstacle or loose section. Even with the loose gravel having it off helps a lot on those tight switchbacks.

hey VMfire,
Were you just messing around or were you actually planning on using the turn assist?

I have been wondering if anybody actually used it or if it was just kind of a nice-to-have gimmick.

I constantly forget I have it - but I don’t wheel all that hard.

I have been wondering if anybody actually used it or if it was just kind of a nice-to-have gimmick.

Pretty much this.

I can't see it making the critical difference on a trail.

hey VMfire,
Were you just messing around or were you actually planning on using the turn assist?

I constantly forget I have it - but I don’t wheel all that hard.
No, I was really trying to use it to get around some tight turns in the Vermont woods last weekend, rather than multiple K turns.

No, I was really trying to use it to get around some tight turns in the Vermont woods last weekend, rather than multiple K turns.
I tried it this summer in Colorado on a down hill switchback and I was is S2 then too and did not wok and CDL LOCKED. tried in in my driveway yesterday CDL OPEN in Crawl mode but in D AND IT WORKED. So seems to be some variables needed to make it work.

To add some logic... :wrench:
Given the stress any turn puts on the driveline of a locked differential (TORSEN center differential in this case; locking disables the TORSEN and makes it a "regular" transfer case), an exceedingly tight turn would stress: U joints, drive shafts, transfer case and F & R differentials.
Something exploding wouldn't be surprising. This happens to people who forget to go into 2WD on dry pavement:slap::bang:

To add some logic... :wrench:
Given the stress any turn puts on the driveline of a locked differential (TORSEN center differential in this case; locking disables the TORSEN and makes it a "regular" transfer case), an exceedingly tight turn would stress: U joints, drive shafts, transfer case and F & R differentials.
Something exploding wouldn't be surprising. This happens to people who forget to go into 2WD on dry pavement:slap::bang:

Seems logical, but our drivetrain is tough enough to deal with it, even on pavement.. I’ve done it. Not that it’s good for things.. but it takes more than that to kill our drivetrain, assuming it’s healthy.

Gravel is absolutely no problem. I suspect Toyota disables turn assist with the CDL locked mostly because it would defeat the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom