Tub re-building (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, well I have finally completed the tub re-building project I began. I must say, had I had extra money I would have bought one of those aluminium tubs. However, being a welder and cheap I thought "how hard could it be....."

A word of advice, be prepared for tons of welding,grinding and the consumption of lots of zip blades (to remove all the old cancerous sheet metal.)

Overall, not a bad job. I used 16 gauge satin coat sheet metal for the quarter panels, floor boards and rocker panels. I used one 4x8 sheet, and every scrap of it.

I also had a sheet metal friend break some 16 gauge into 3/4" x 3/4" x4' , 90 degree angle for backing. This worked excellent. This was welded into place for the quarter panels to attach to. Also a good quality electric hand sheer is a must.

During this whole project you will quickly realize why your cruiser rotted out in the first place. You can deal with the corrosion prevention once the project is completed.

Templates are a must.... get your buddy with a good tub and make as many as you feel you will need.

I used a 110 volt wire feed welder with co2 and argon mixture. Wire size 0.35 and it worked great, well, except for the low duty cycle 20 %. Blew a few shop fuses but no big deal.

I tried to add some attachments to see , however they were too big (more than 70 KB ) How do I make them smaller computer people???

If any one is intrested in this type of project I could send you some photos, send me your e-mail address to rwmexter@home.ca I will gladly send you some shots of the work as it progressed.

Hey BetaBob,
I hear you with the Aluminum Aqualu tub! I'm installing panels from www.Canadacruiser.com, and though they are really nice panels, I could have been back on the road last year if I just shelled out for the Al tub. I saved CAD$1400 by buying steel panels, but knowing what I know now, that is a small price to pay for an assembled, jig-welded, unrustable tub that attaches with six body-mounts and a handful of small bolts at the firewall (and it can be done in a day!!!).

I'm still in progress with my panels, so please send me pics to smcruisin@hotmail.com

much appreciated,
Steve

Bob, you add in captions as you please, I'll number the pics to make this easier.
Ok here are the photos of the above tub restore:
MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-009F.jpg

I have a question, what year is that tub? The tranny hump/drivers seat area is a whole lot different than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom