The Holy Truck / was Trypo the trypophobia-Inducing truck / was a chopped model 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize for the click bait, but I could not resist...

I've spent the last couple of days pulling stuff from a donor 80 in preparation for having the junk man come and drag off the remainder. The last thing is the roof.

I made a mistake recently at an auction for a manual transmission 80 that turned out to have holes in the roof.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 4.03.05 PM.jpeg

Everything else including the interior was pretty nice but the roof.... I call it the 'holy truck'.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 5.15.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 5.15.51 PM.jpeg

What to do.... Over the past few weeks we drained the tanks and changed the oil and the steering column to put in a new ignition lock -- the truck came without a key, and then it sat for quite a while. On Saturday the column went back in and I put a couple of jerry cans of fresh gas in the main and sub tanks, and we tried firing it up. No joy. This 1FE has a mechanical fuel pump and a carburetor. No gas being pumped.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 4.03.17 PM.jpeg

I used a handheld vacuum pump and pulled the gas into the engine bay but even when primed the mechanical fuel pump did nothing. Resorting to squirting brake cleaner into the carb throat we succeeded in getting it to fire up immediately enveloping the entire warehouse in a thick cloud of desert dust. The radiator must have been completely loaded with it. The engine sounded pretty good and with a manual transmission there is less uncertainty about getting the driveline going so it kind of settled it in my mind that I am going to try to bring this poor old truck back from the brink.

I should mention that the parts catalog does give part numbers for replacement roofs, both with and without moon roof. Unfortunately, none were available locally or even in Oman.

I talked it over with a garage owner friend and he was willing to take it on. My friend from Abu Dhabi had suggested that the parts truck that had provided the frame for the turbo diesel could donate its roof to the cause, even though the donor has a moon roof. The garage owner friend confirmed that the sheet metal would be useful even if it needed to have the moon roof filled in, so it was down to me to liberate the roof from the poor old donor, that already had given so much. And not just to me. The transmission and transfer case and a bunch of other related stuff is going to a new friend in Florida, who by all accounts will make good use of them.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 5.16.22 PM.jpeg

I went online and got an angle grinder (in retrospect a reciprocating saw might have been a better choice) and I spent yesterday clearing out the donor and today my friend came up from Abu Dhabi and we set to work.

Last edited:
The garage owner friend asked that I cut as far down as possible. Even though I suspect that his body guys will just use parts of the roof itself, I did as I was asked. The A pillars were by far the hardest to deal with.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 2.57.45 PM.jpeg

The next most difficult was the D pillar (if that is what it is called), but even the C pillar had its challenges. There was substantial internal sheet metal in each pillar.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 2.57.52 PM.jpeg

But eventually after most of a day of work and a dozen metal cutting disks the donor gave up its roof.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 2.58.46 PM.jpeg

We then pulled the holy truck out and called the recovery driver to bring it to the other garage.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 3.39.04 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 8.08.10 PM.jpeg

When it was up on the flatbed I had my first look under it and found some bent rods in the front end. This gave me the idea that perhaps the old parts from the original frame from the turbo diesel could be used. I had replaced all these early on in the turbo diesel project so they were in good shape, even having new bushings and all.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 4.28.05 PM.jpeg

To top that off, the donor, being a 1991, had drum rear brakes and I had not been really happy with the stopping power now that I've been driving it around a bit. CruiserMatt suggested that I pull the disks off the original turbo diesel frame and replace the drums. But I don't have the heavy tools to do all this and the guys at the garage next door are short-staffed right now, so I can't really ask them for help.

I was getting pretty tired by this time. And we still had to move the detached roof. I asked the owner of the garage that is going to do this work whether he minded if I brought the entire old turbo diesel frame over--and he actually thought that would be a good idea--to let his guys pull the parts from it, rather than me.

so here's where the chopped 80 comes in... Why not use the old turbo diesel frame to transport the donor roof?
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 4.26.36 PM.jpeg

I believe this meets the technical definition of 'chopped and channeled' if not the spirit of the concept. Notwithstanding even that the roof has been reversed front to back.

"To chop a roof, the pillars and windows are cut down, lowering the overall roofline. "

"To channel a car, its body is temporarily lifted off of its ladder or perimeter frame. After cutting the floor loose and refastening it higher inside the body, the body can then be lowered back over the frame. Thus the modification causes the entire body to rest closer to the ground without alterations to the suspension."

-Wikipedia

Well there you have it. An 'extreme' chopped and channeled Model 80.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 4.58.40 PM.jpeg

...the adventure continues!

Last edited:
Cool project!!!!

How hard is it for an American to move to Dubai and get a job?

Cool project!!!!

How hard is it for an American to move to Dubai and get a job?
That, as you might expect, is a complicated question. I've had two jobs here; one well-paying and then the one I have now. But it works for me. I am close to retirement and just needed enough to live on. I try not to use my savings on the Land Cruisers. Just accumulated wages. As far as jobs in general, wages are very low for skilled labor. India provides most of the skilled manual labor workers in the UAE. The job market for white collar workers is a little more reasonable. When we've done recruiting for my 'day job' we've used LinkedIn and field-specific recruiters. When I first was looking for a job in Dubai, now more than 10 years ago, I used both. Hope this helps!

Thanks

So the body man is getting busy on the donor roof. I -think- he is drilling the rivets out in preparation for pulling the center section. Time will tell.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-07 at 10.20.48 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-07 at 10.20.48 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-07 at 10.20.48 PM (2).jpeg

1: I like the way you talk
2: This is going to be epic
3: I assume you plan on transporting this 80 to wherever you plan to retire?

1: I like the way you talk
2: This is going to be epic
3: I assume you plan on transporting this 80 to wherever you plan to retire?
You are very kind. I enjoy writing and sharing these interesting experiences. My 'regular' friends sometimes get glassy-eyed when I talk to them about piles of rusting old truck parts in deepest, darkest Sharjah, and the nice people I've gotten to know there.

Regarding this truck, I really don't know. With this one I will have four 80's, which is too many, really. The first one I was all excited about because I was not really plugged in all that well at that time and a Middle East 80 with swing away tire carrier from the factory and the icebox in the middle was really cool. But it is not all that different from a US model. It is now in the US and my ex is making good use of it in the DC area.

I've got the weird RHD to LHD turbo diesel conversion--with the 24 valve engine too. And then the Omani diesel which is still pretty rough in spots. Now this. On the one hand it is nice having a gas truck with all the Middle East differences including barn doors; on the other it is getting a bit silly. So I don't know. Might sell it. Might keep it. All I know right now is that I want to see if I can salvage a bad situation. I paid way too much at auction--9.5K USD given the hidden roof problem. But everything else looks good. Needs some body work--but don't we all? I want to see how it turns out. I'm sure it will find a home either with me or with someone else who appreciates it.

That’s right, I remember reading about your other rigs and experiences before. I’m looking forward to your journey with this one!

Any idea what happened to that roof? I've never seen anything quite like that.
None. Although one Mud member felt it was sun damage. I don't seem much more than surface rust anywhere else. A friend thinks it may have been parked under something dripping...but so many holes?

There certainly is a lot of finish damage. There is where the tire carrier bolts in
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 3.37.08 PM.jpeg

Anyone ever seen a security bolt like this?
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-06 at 3.37.49 PM.jpeg

There certainly is a lot of finish damage. There is where the tire carrier bolts in
View attachment 2946570

Anyone ever seen a security bolt like this?
View attachment 2946572
The security bolts are probably for a rear seat so they cannot be removed. Appears to be a UK/EU things.

You can cut a slice with a hack saw 90° to the current "slot" and then you can unscrew them with a screwdriver, assuming it's not too rusted.

Thee was a recent thread about these from someone over there.

Well, the guys somehow managed to cut the security bolt and free up the carrier. I took it over to the powder coater for blasting and coating, along with a bunch of other small stuff. And I saw what was going on with the Holy Truck.
1646903410050.png

1646903420380.png

1646903428035.png

and the donor roof
1646903447231.png

1646903458379.png

1646903504079.png

1646903514769.png

Yep. The structure over the windshield was badly in need of attention. I'm glad it is being removed and replaced entirely.

1646903525794.png

1646903599345.png

Regarding the rear windows I have a cunning plan...
1646903652922.png

The other side was better, but even this was not too bad.

Most of the 80s I see out here have badly corroded rear window bits. It turns out that the rear windows are made up of a rubber outer gasket, a thin aluminum frame for the glass, and an inner rubber track for the glass to move on, plus a sealing bar in the middle. All can be disassembled.

This is a window from the donor truck with the outer rubber gasket removed:
1646903861274.png

Here it is taken apart
1646903950489.png

And here's the frame
1646903986354.png

1646903993694.png

As an experiment I have given it to the powder coaters and asked them to sandblast and coat in black. It will be a challenge to the sandblaster. But in any event I am sure I can find better frames in Sharjah for not too much. The point is that I think I can manage to refurb the rear windows to useable status. One of my 80s has fixed glass, which I prefer because of the leakage of sliding windows, and I may see if I can locate enough sets. I've actually got to re-do two 80s rear windows because of the frame corrosion problem.

And while I am at it, I am having all this done too:
1646904190335.png

I think powdercoating the cowl insert might look really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom