Trying to locate new seat belts for an 88 BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am trying to source new front seat belts for an 88 BJ74. When I do a cross reference search on Toyodiy.com it seems that the seat belts change every few years. I have to believe that there are other 70 series that are interchangeable.

Ps. I am looking for new as the mechanism itself seems to be giving out and the wife finally started letting me strap the kids car seat in for short rides.

Can't help with a source for new OEM but may want to try a good cleaning before replacing with new. This is pretty common on the 100 series forum and people have had great results with just cleaning the belt. Searching there will show you what they do.

You could also go this route if you can't source OEM:
3 Point Retractable Lap & Shoulder Seatbelts
(I used these for the rear of my BJ74)

Good luck

I have to believe that there are other 70 series that are interchangeable.

I would believe it too, I cant see why a HZJ73/74 or a 75 series wouldn't fit. Different part numbers can be there for many reasons but can still interchange.

i am trying to source new front seat belts for an 88 BJ74. When I do a cross reference search on Toyodiy.com it seems that the seat belts change every few years. I have to believe that there are other 70 series that are interchangeable.

Ps. I am looking for new as the mechanism itself seems to be giving out and the wife finally started letting me strap the kids car seat in for short rides.

Out of all the European 7x's I import I have not had any seatbelt issues,is yours lhd or rhd ? I have some used ones available and have a parts BJ73 sitting in the back if you want to go the used route.

Joe

all good suggestions guys. Probably will take one apart and clean it as a start. Especially since the new route appears to be about $200+ each belt.

Joe,

Mine is RHD I would be ok with used as long as they funtion properly. Ill try the cleaning method first and PM if that doesnt work.

Whats the difference between RHD and LHD seatbelts? (apart from the centre lash belt if you have one)

Probably will take one apart and clean it as a start. Especially since the new route appears to be about $200+ each belt.

In Perth here we have a company that rebuilds them ,another MUD member took his there and was highly impressed by their work. Maybe you have someone your way who does this.
http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

Im not sure if this will help but I bought a 1990 pzj70 and needed to change the seat belts. I found some newish ones in a 1995 fzj70 and was able to use them in there. Noting that the PZJ70 seatbelt were not attached to the wall but you could see the whole mechanism . The body had the other spot in it for the other seatbelt which worked. Only thing I really had to do was to change the female part that it goes into

THanks for the advice. I ended up removing and cleaning the belts. I also tried to tighten the spring on these and apologies that I didnt take pictures but I can tell you to be very careful after learning how the internals of this mechanism is designed.

If you remember those old "slap" braclets with the thin piece of contoured metal strap that is essentially what is inside. If you try and tighten this to many rotations you will hear it come from together inside. Don't ask me how I know (Duh). No fear though it can be opended (where it says warning do not open..lol) and rewound correctly couting the number of rotations so as not to overtighten again. I did notice improvement in retraction to suffice for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom