Truck problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what kind of truck? where are you located? How are your batteries?

just had the same problem on the 42 this week.

it was the batteries, well one was toast, the other was good.

click click, but no crank.

try switching the batteries side to side. that may get you started.

charge them up and get them load tested. then you can eliminate/isolate the batts as the problem.

costco batteries are cheap, and have a "no hassle return" .

other than that... starter relay? starter? sorry i'm not much help.

good luck dan-o

crusty

hey danno, kirk's right on with the first steps. old trucks are notorious for bad grounds so go over all the grounds first and look for corroded or broken wires. if both batteries have good voltage under load(above 10 v) and still not starting you could give the starter solenoid a few light taps with a hammer or rod. solenoid contacts can get worn out and cant hold the plunger in for the motor to draw. your description of rapid clicking would make me suspect this especially if it was cranking well up to this. these contacts and plunger are easy fixes you can do yourself. let me know how this goes and if you like i'd come by and check it out with you some evening this week.

hey danno, kirk's right on with the first steps. old trucks are notorious for bad grounds so go over all the grounds first and look for corroded or broken wires. if both batteries have good voltage under load(above 10 v) and still not starting you could give the starter solenoid a few light taps with a hammer or rod. solenoid contacts can get worn out and cant hold the plunger in for the motor to draw. your description of rapid clicking would make me suspect this especially if it was cranking well up to this. these contacts and plunger are easy fixes you can do yourself. let me know how this goes and if you like i'd come by and check it out with you some evening this week.

Whoa! We got ourselves a certified Pro! yeah! arrooogaahhh! arrooogaaaahhh!

Thanks for the replies. I just did a move so I had no internet to respond. The truck is back on the road. The batteries are on their last legs and need to be replaced but the main problem was the alternator. I got it fixed up and is good to go now. I'll see you guys t the next run :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom