Trip Report - Fourth Annual 100s in the Hills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
I'll be honest, trying to describe this event is difficult. Trying to describe the atmosphere at camp and on the trail is difficult. I really don't have the words. Epic is over-used, but apropos in this case. The 4th Annual HIH will go down as one of those "Were you there?" type of events. Seeing the culmination of so many 100 Series Land Cruisers from all over the country sitting in camp brings a level of satisfaction that's hard to explain. Jonathan (@jonharis) Chris (@bluecruiser) Josh (@MtnAddict) and I work so hard to pull this together and when attendees say "We had a great time" or "Our kids loved it", it's worth every second, every phone call, every text message, every email and every late night planning session. We do not take for granted that for some of you, this is your summer vacation. A time to kick back, relax with family, enjoy friends new and old, take in some scenery, hit some trails and enjoy your time away from work.

The story of HIH has been explained in the last 3 trip reports, so I'll pass on re-directing you there, but I will say that this event has a lot of heart and soul to it. Although we're only in our 4th year, it feels much bigger. It's a gathering more than an event. It's late nights around the campfire, it's kids running around with glow sticks, playing football or throwing a Frisbee. It's first names, families and new friends. It still has that same feeling of being 5 or 6 guys camping and wheeling together, it just so happens that it's now close to 100 people in attendance, ages 1 to 65! It also happens to be held in one of the most beautiful locations in the entire world.

The Friday Night Raffle and Pot Luck have become a staple of this event. Attendees from around the country bring food and beer that represents their local area. Tables are filled with more food than 100 people can eat, and I tried EVERYTHING (twice). We're not talking about a bag of chips from the local store, we're talking fully cooked dishes with dips, salsas and sauces. If you go to sleep hungry on Friday night, you've done something wrong. Beers from around the country are put on ice and you'll have given up before you've tried them all (or at least you should have) ;) Desserts range from homemade cookies, cakes, pies to brownies and even ice cream with toppings! All of this, in a camp setting surrounded by 100 Series Land Cruisers. This event really is what it's all about. Families, friends, food, camping, responsible wheeling and camping, laughs and beautiful scenery.

A huge part of Friday night is the free raffle. The swag and prizes rival any event in the country. The sponsors are providing these gifts to us because they believe in what we're doing and see this event and the people attending as the bread and butter of their market. You may occasionally have the opportunity to purchase something for $5 cheaper online, but these vendors are supporting all of us and supporting them in return continues the cycle of good vendors and good people who have an attachment to responsible offroading, environmentally friendly camping and keeping our trails open. Please visit these sponsors whenever you're in the market for new products or service and let them know you appreciate their involvement in this event and the 100 Series community. Without them, this event wouldn't be the same.

Bump it Offroad provided a REAR BUMPER for a 100 Series! (yes..... a FREE REAR BUMPER!)

Gamiviti Racks provided a full 100 Series Expo Rack with towers and hardware, plus first aid kits and expo shovels!

NITRO GEAR and Axle provided BIG gift cards from NITRO as well as more swag than we could give away! Seriously, Carl gave away more stuff than we could have imagined. Hats, shirts, gear, stickers, cups, cozies, you name it!

ICON Vehicle Dynamics provided a $500 gift card to ICON as well as a huge swag box. Tool bags, tow straps, t-shirts, cozies and hats!

Slee Offroad provided a set of TJM shocks and a Slee diff drop kit! Slee has been with us since the beginning!

Off Road Warehouse provided a FULL Set of FOX shocks for the 100 Series as well as tons of FOX swag.

Eagles Nest Outfitters provided 2 Single Nest Hammocks and Atlas Straps for relaxing and napping!

Camelback Toyota provided big gift cards to their parts department! Order online!

Mountain Khakis provided 3 big gift cards for anything from their online or retail stores!

Safari LTD provided gift cards and Safari LTD swag!

OutdoorX4 Magazine provided a free issue to everyone in attendance plus swag! (use the code "HIH2014" for an additional 20% off your subscription price!)

IH8MUD <--- yes, I just linked you back to the site you're already on! IH8MUD provided all of this to all of us. @woody and Heather attended our little event this year and we were thrilled to have them! If not for IH8MUD, none of this would have ever happened. Through this site I have made lifelong friends. My wife and kids have made lifelong friends. We vacation, travel and keep in touch with each other throughout the year and it all started right here!

Many of these sponsors also gave us financial support to get this event off the ground. (Slee Offroad, NITRO, ICON, Safari LTD, IH8MUD and Gamiviti provided financial support) Without their assistance, we couldn't provide all the extras around camp. Support those that support us!

As crazy as it sounds, our 2015 planning starts in just a few weeks! Stay tuned right here on MUD, our Facebook page and our website for all the new things to come. Expect bigger and better for 2015 and beyond. Expect new trails, additional event locations and more events from the Haha Nice Crew. We'll be looking for new trail leaders at next years Ouray event as well as your input and feedback on ways for us to improve. This event belongs to all of us and it only gets better from here. A special thank you is in order to all the returning attendees from the 3rd Annual Event. It's affirmation that we're doing something right and that's all that matters!

Let's hear your favorite trail and camp stories, pictures, memories and good times!

We had some carnage, some camp fixes, some pucker factor on Black Bear and Poughkeepsie and some laughs. This year's group was second to none and it will be hard to top in 2015, but you can bet we'll give it our best shot!

See you all in Ouray!

- Stan, Jonathan, Chris and Josh

Last edited:
Reserved for pics and additional info

I have tons of pics to sort through and great stories to tell. I'm sure all of you have the same. This thread is just getting started....

@ntsaint and @cboyd have already started adding to the Google Drive they created. Please don't delete anyone else's photos (we had issues with that last year) By uploading images to Google Drive, you give HIH permission to use your images for marketing and promotional purposes. If you don't want something shared, just don't upload it.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzLN5PHblHDfQThBWEJqTXY4azg&usp=sharing

Woody has also created an IH8MUD 100s in the Hills photo page. https://forum.ih8mud.com/gallery/albums/100s-in-the-hills-2014.3469/
@woody was our official spotter on Poughkeepsie Gulch and his presence on top of The Wall and spotting skills made for many successful attempts!

Lastly, we should thank the folks at Colorado Timberline for their quick turnaround on our HIH4 shirts. Mrs. @AimCOtaco (the beautiful and lovely Sally) was instrumental in getting all the shirts to HIH HQ in time! Thank you Sally!

Last edited:
Boom! This was truly a great year for the 100 series. I believe it was the first year that we as directors have really felt comfortable with planning and implementation. It was the first year we were able to attain a permit with the Forest Service! It was also the first year of real portapoties! I want to thank all who participated both in person and vicariously. I especially want to thank our sponsors. Without you, none of this would be possible. Looking forward to taking a little time off from event planning but will be back in action soon.
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4660.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4716.JPG

A few of my favorite iPhone shots of the trip. Other pics will follow over the next week or so.

Last edited:
Bam!

I will post some pics to the Google Drive this weekend. I had a great Black Bear and Poughkeepsie group that we have tons of pictures of. My son was in charge of photography so they should be pretty interesting. Keep the stories and pictures coming. They are fun to check out and definitely help to fuel the planning for HIH V!

Last edited:
A few more iPhone shots.

IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG

This is on my short list for next year. I have been watching this event for a couple years and am excited to finally have a 100 and be able to attend. Thank you for investing the time and resources to make it happen. And a big thank you to the vendors for the raffle prizes. :clap::cheers:

Last edited:
Awesome, as was expected! Wish we could've made it back out this year but we are looking out at next summer already. :)

Thanks to all those that put so much effort into this great 100 specific event.

Looking forward to all the pictures. We were just there the previous week, but during the time we drew the conclusion that the wife doesn't really like offroading...and really, really doesn't like offroading on narrow shelf roads. She was a bit disconcerted on Imogene and Mineral Creek almost broke up the marriage. :) Oh well, beside being rushed to get he "off the mountain", I really enjoyed myself...and she tried...she really did. If I ever make it to a HIH, it will probably be solo...can't have it all I guess...

Same here.. Wife was scared but also cool about it. Ended up doing Black Bear and Last Dollar Road with my son which was cool in itself.. we both really enjoyed it and my wife and daughter got to enjoy the Hot Springs and some shopping in Ouray..

I am already planning on doing HIH in 2015. Wife is on board .. mostly :)

Looking forward to hearing everyone's stories from the weekend. My weekend actually started the Tuesday before the event. I was scrambling to finish a few last minute event details and packing my truck late into the night.

Wednesday morning @BJTLC100 was at my house promptly at 0830, however, I wasn't ready yet. I hate being late.... A few last minute pieces of gear and a check of the list and we were off. The plan was to meet up with @ENGINE er, @303native and @fireball about 45 minutes from my house. After assembling the group and the usual chit-chat, we were rolling on 285 west of Denver in the rain. The plan was to run Red Cone Pass and Webster Pass and then jump back on 285 destined for Owl Creek Pass, one of my all time favorite roads in Colorado. Red Cone in the rain can be a difficult trail, but we all made the first few obstacles without issue. After a brief lunch at treeline, the rain and clouds really moved in on us. I made the decision to turn the group around instead of heading for the summit. The clouds were so thick that we wouldn't be able to see the trail condition on the descent and getting stuck on the far side of the pass was not an option. I needed to be at HIH HQ early Thursday morning to coordinate the Porta-Potty delivery. Back down the way we came....... in the rain.

We turned west on 285 and traveled over 2 passes. Kenosha Pass and Monarch Pass. 10,000 feet and 11,312 feet respectively. On the way down from Monarch, the clouds broke and we had some sweet sunshine. A quick stop for last minute provisions in Gunnison, CO and the convoy continued on. We reached Owl Creek Pass at about 7pm bound for Silver Jack Reservoir and a small primitive camping area along the Cimarron River. Thankfully, there was an area that all 5 of us could fit comfortably. We promptly set up camp, started a fire and cooked dinner. Some nearby campers stopped by to tell us a bear had been in their camp for the last few nights and we should plan accordingly. Being Bear Aware in Colorado is pretty standard, so we had a quick discussion about that, and went on about our night. No bears, but a small herd of elk passed through our campsite during the night.

The following morning had us packing up, taking in the sunshine and listening to the creek pass by. We traveled the rest of Owl Creek Pass and down into Ridgway, CO. Taking our time, we stopped in Ridgway for some local fruit at the farmstand. Our next stop would be our home for the next 5 days so another "last minute provision" shopping spree at the Mountain Market was in order. Upon arriving at the site of last years HIH event, I noticed the lot was a mud pit. All the recent rains made it a complete mess. Luckily, the next lot to the south was in much better shape so I made the decision to move HIH HQ about 500 yards away. I figured that we'd be hard to miss for any late comers to the event. How often do you even see ten 100 Series parked together? Even the Porta-Potty delivery guy found us.

One by one the lot started filling up with 100 Series Land Cruisers of every build, year and color. There were some SUPER clean and well built vehicles this year. They continued rolling in way past midnight. Friday morning broke with camp already bustling and ripe with excitement. I was once again leading the family fish run up to Clear Lake with @jonharis riding shotgun, navigating and taking photos. This is a perfect trail for those new to shelf roads in Colorado. It's as picturesque as anything else in the area (maybe even more so) and it's a mild and short trail. After a full day at the lake, we decided to return to camp via the Soup or Secret HIH trail. I had never been on that route before but Jonathan had traveled it many times and he navigated from the shotgun seat. Mrs. Harris had Jonathan's 100 with their twins on Black Bear Pass..... they are a true adventure family! The Soup or Secret road has now become a staple for me every time I'm in the area. The beauty is breathtaking. We spent over an hour walking amongst the wildflowers, talking and taking photos. Amazing! Back to camp for the Pot Luck and Raffle!

That was my first few days.....I lead our Black Bear Pass groups on Saturday and Sunday which was beyond fun! That was my 4th and 5th times running Black Bear this year!! I'll let some of the folks from those runs share their Black Bear stories. It's such an amazing trail and one that I love sharing with people new to Colorado. What an accomplishment to complete.

EDIT: This was a type and run.... now that I've had a chance to read it, typos should be fixed. Sorry.

Last edited:
Wow.......Great pictures of the scenery and of 100s. :) I definitely need to start planning now for 2015. I don't know why I have gone before.

I'll have to post up pictures later, but wanted to make a few comments. First, WOW! What a great event. My family and I have been to lots of different events, and while we were headed down the road from this one my wife said "that was the best event we've been to! It was so kid friendly!". Thanks to all of you for keeping it family friendly, my kids had a blast and made lots of new friends that they are still talking about.

Second, thanks to everyone that was in the Pakiepse trail run. I was the lucky one that blew up my front diff (poor judgment call on when to give up on the wall). The whole group pitched in to get me up to the lake and then pull my front drive flanges and drive shaft. Everyone had their tools out and most had their hands dirty! If I had been by myself it would have taken a while, but the team effort had us back on the trail in about 20 minutes. Guess its time for gears and lockers (Carl).

Third, can't wait for next year. I hope to make this an annual event for my family. I also hope to see some of you between now and then.

Martin

Hey Martin. Glad to hear you had a great time. Keeping the kids happy is a definite win. Totally feel for you on the front diff on Poughkeepsie. It was a pleasure to jump in and get you going. Sucks for sure but the upgrade should be bulletproof. Hope you can make it out next year! It was great to meet you and your awesome family.

Awesome guys! I'd love to join up next year!

When was this?? I have been in Telluride since last Sunday. Saw a white cruiser from Texas with BIOR rear bumper, ironman front black bumper. Was gonna jump out to meet you but settled into the condo first. Black bear sounds interesting with a 100 series!

Had to rent a jeep. Short wheel base was fun, but I could hardly trust the transmission. Fell out of gear several times. Didn't engage many others!

Will have to drive my cruiser here next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom