Events/Trails Trip Report: Death Valley and a Wrecked 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driving saline valley road is a state of mind. If it's already at the springs or you're trying to keep up with friends you won't be able to get there fast enough. Besides increasing speed to smooth out the bumps I've also found this to be true: the road seems smoother when I go slower, roll the windows down, get the right music on, open a cold beverage and look at stuff other than the next obstacle coming at 50 mph. I still get to the springs in time to make dinner and the only thing missed is sitting around yapping for an extra hour about how knarly the road was or wasn't.

@xepyt Holy smokes, Richie. I am in shock. First off, both Mercedes and I are glad you are all OK. We were literally (and I mean this evening) saying what an awesome group of people you all were to let us hang with you guys, cook on your fire, and exchange stories.

I heard about this through PDX Overlanders, a local group on Facebook. They tagged us. When I clicked through to MUD, all I could think about was hoping not to hear of tragedy on Lippencott. We descended it in the Delica and it was narrower and more technical than we had expected with the van. I had actually said to Mercedes (near the top) that if it got any more technical we might want to turn around. We continued on through and it was fine. We also took Saline Valley out that day. Still can't believe it.

What an amazingly small world. Crazy.

Bottom line is we are so glad you're all unharmed. Bummer about the truck; it was clean! However, there are always other rigs.

- Andy

Last edited:
Dang sorry for the 80, but it's definitely replacable.....Luke at 4x4 labs, true act of human kindness...

I understand the comments about high COG due to weight on the roof, etc., but with all due respect this comes to bad driving. I've flopped my 4runner (and yes, it was bad driving that caused it), so I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, but this was clearly a case of swerving one direction and swerving back the other way. Sure catching the berm probably exacerbated the problem, but anytime you are driving a SUV you have to be aware that you can't slolom the damn thing. Weight is weight, having a couple of hundred pounds up top sucks, but if you have a heavily loaded rig, it changes the handling characteristics. I like the video link below, because it shows the dramatic difference between the vehicle loaded at full payload and with 300 lbs subtracted. Granted it's a jeep, so it's performance sucks, but it's illustrative.

My opinion is that you can't slalom the truck at significant speed or it will get away from you.

Glad the OP and family made it out safely.

Sorry that it happened, glad everyone was whole. So great to hear about the dog couldn't imagine what you have been though.

@xepyt tough run of luck you and the little lady have had. I'm glad the three of you made it out okay. I wish you, the fiancée and that pup of yours a better year. I hope things pick up and get better for you guys.

I understand the comments about high COG due to weight on the roof, etc., but with all due respect this comes to bad driving. I've flopped my 4runner (and yes, it was bad driving that caused it), so I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, but this was clearly a case of swerving one direction and swerving back the other way. Sure catching the berm probably exacerbated the problem, but anytime you are driving a SUV you have to be aware that you can't slolom the damn thing. Weight is weight, having a couple of hundred pounds up top sucks, but if you have a heavily loaded rig, it changes the handling characteristics. I like the video link below, because it shows the dramatic difference between the vehicle loaded at full payload and with 300 lbs subtracted. Granted it's a jeep, so it's performance sucks, but it's illustrative.

My opinion is that you can't slalom the truck at significant speed or it will get away from you.

Glad the OP and family made it out safely.

Interesting video! That's on a paved road with predictable surface conditions too.

I hope you did not have to resort to Miller's Towing out of Lone Pine. Glad things did not end too badly.

Been thinking about this. How do you get out of this type of situation? Do you floor the car and power out of the fishtail? I have watched many police car chases and seen many get out of PIT hits, or similar sways and wondered how best to recover?
You need to instantly determine if you will drive over the dirt berm and into the desert, or straighten wheels ( before you hit the berm) and hope to nerf off of the berm and make the turn.

You need to instantly determine if you will drive over the dirt berm and into the desert, or straighten wheels ( before you hit the berm) and hope to nerf off of the berm and make the turn.

Yep! But that comes with EXPERIENCE in driving these types of things. Kinda what I was referring to about driving into it hard. It seems counter-intuitive to do that. Most people's natural reaction is to try to avoid.

To provide some reference, here is a pic that I snapped when I was there the day after the accident. If those skid marks in the left of the pic were from this truck, it doesn't look like
there was a crazy amount of fishtailing. Also, the road was neither straight nor flat, the OP stated that. The pics you've seen only show where the truck was headed, not where it had been. This pic shows the drop in elevation that follows the curve in the road.

80Rolover2.JPG

Here is the curve where it happened, they were traveling north.

SVR.png

Last edited:
Glad you guys and your dog are okay. Sad about the 80.
This make me think that this can happen to any of us in any moment.

To provide some reference, here is a pic that I snapped when I was there the day after the accident. If those skid marks in the left of the pic were from this truck, it doesn't look like
there was a crazy amount of fishtailing. Also, the road was neither straight nor flat, the OP stated that. The pics you've seen only show where the truck was headed, not where it had been. This pic shows the drop in elevation that follows the curve in the road.

View attachment 1604606

Here is the curve where it happened, they were traveling north.

View attachment 1604609

Charge your phone!

And they walked away....Thank goodness! I was leaving saline valley on dec. 11th in my 83' fj40 and measured the washboard at 6-8" deep (driving in and out at 5 -15 mph) then I passed the road grader. the surface was smooth as pavement but I cruised at 35-40 tops and slowed when necessary eventually crawling up Lippincott.
The wilderness is not a place to become complacent , let this be a reminder to all of us we must be at the top of our game, that is why we drive the vehicles we do right? Hopefully this accident creates enough awareness to prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
Did any one see the burnt out cherokee on the side of the road ?

First off sorry to hear about the truck, and glad no one was hurt.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned loose/sloppy steering as a potential contributor here. With maybe 5-10 degrees of slop between the steering wheel engaging from one direction to the other (as I see on my 94 with 210k+ miles) it takes some finesse to get around sweeping turns in a smooth manner. I am guessing that is just par for course with older high mileage vehicles. As an example when going around a sweeping right hand corner you need to carefully control how much rightward pressure you have on the wheel to keep desired track; turning wheel to provide left input and then hooking back up in right turn results in a lot of back and forth swerving. I noticed this exact thing when my wife drove a stretch across the Sierras on I80 (staying within the lane but constantly going between left and right stripes). I am thinking that you combine new/inexperienced driver, sloppy steering, and high COG and this is what can happen...

First off sorry to hear about the truck, and glad no one was hurt.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned loose/sloppy steering as a potential contributor here. With maybe 5-10 degrees of slop between the steering wheel engaging from one direction to the other (as I see on my 94 with 210k+ miles) it takes some finesse to get around sweeping turns in a smooth manner. I am guessing that is just par for course with older high mileage vehicles. As an example when going around a sweeping right hand corner you need to carefully control how much rightward pressure you have on the wheel to keep desired track; turning wheel to provide left input and then hooking back up in right turn results in a lot of back and forth swerving. I noticed this exact thing when my wife drove a stretch across the Sierras on I80 (staying within the lane but constantly going between left and right stripes). I am thinking that you combine new/inexperienced driver, sloppy steering, and high COG and this is what can happen...
:confused: My '94 steers with zero slop (or very min). Me says you have something else going on.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned loose/sloppy steering as a potential contributor here.
When I was there looking over the wrecked truck, I noticed it had been lifted but didn't see any means of caster correction (bushings or plates) so maybe more likely twitchy steering rather than sloppy steering.

And they walked away....Thank goodness! I was leaving saline valley on dec. 11th in my 83' fj40 and measured the washboard at 6-8" deep (driving in and out at 5 -15 mph) ...

That's incredible.

I've been all over the west on dirt roads and trails and I have never encountered wash boarded roads as bad as Death Valley, specifically Racetrack Valley Rd. (FYI, China Hat Rd. in Oregon is second!)

- Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom