Events/Trails Trip Report: Death Valley and a Wrecked 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for sharing the story. We were at the Springs starting on Sunday and heard about the accident. Glad everyone was okay and you got your pup back.

I don't think I saw speed mentioned. Any idea how fast you were going? With the road freshly graded speeds are up (we were usually doing around 50 MPH). We were at the Springs for Christmas too and there was a rollover accident on North Pass. It was a Land Rover and it sounds like the driver was going too fast (and was probably unfamiliar with the road) and couldn't take a curve.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing the story. We were at the Springs starting on Sunday and heard about the accident. Glad everyone was okay and you got your pup back.

I don't think I saw speed mentioned. Any idea how fast you were going? With the road freshly graded speeds are up (we were usually doing around 50 MPH). We were at the Springs for Christmas too and there was a rollover accident on North Pass. It was a Land Rover and it sounds like the driver was going too fast (and was probably unfamiliar with the road) and couldn't take a curve.

Thanks!

50 on graded dirt seems reckless, to me.

Man I feel your pain. My beloved 60 suffered a similar fate at the Oceano Dunes in 2016. I am so glad you are all Ok.

Frank

I grew up on gravel and dirt roads in Iowa and I drove fast everywhere I went. It was not unusual to drive 80+ on fresh graded roads. That's why my CB handle was "Hot Wheels"

The key on soft roads with loose material on top is that you don't fight the steering wheel. You drift WITH it, like driving a boat.

If you see yourself drifting toward a berm, you drive INTO it, not fight against going over it. You're running tall sidewall tires and they can take the flex and height.

The lower tires pressures and heavily loaded high up definitely contributed here to the sway. Once the rear tire caught the berm and tripped, it was all over.

Next time you're driving down the highway and see skid marks, note where / how the skid changes. Most commonly, as soon as a person feels the RF tire drop into the ditch, they jerk it back, it throws it into a slide, they catch a wheel and it trips.

If that person would have NOT fought it, went with it into the ditch a LITTLE, then eased it back out, they would NOT have had the problem.

I have intentionally driven into a ditch before at 70 MPH dragging a trailer because the trailer tires grabbed the edge of the road and about jacknifed me. I went with it, drove in hard, and eased it back out, doing about 50 when it cam back out. No damage other than my shorts.

My brother and I were coming home from school in our 68 4x4 Chevy K20. He looked down at something on the floor and pulled the steering wheel to the left, driving us into the left ditch. This was a steep ditch. Had he fought it, we WOULD have rolled. He went with it, drove it in hard, jumped the berm into the frozen chisel plowed field, and we slid sideways about 40 MPH across the field. We hopped out, checked for leaking fluids or blown tires, found nothing, jumped back in, and drove around the field until we found a driveway and got back on the road.

My one pound bag of peanut MM's found their way into the defrosters, behind the seat, down my shirt..........

I'd say it depends on the road, the driver and the vehicle. 50 was far from the fastest we drove on a dirt road during our last trip. For me and my vehicle, it was fine for Saline Valley Road in its current condition. Others in the group drove slower, depending on their vehicles and skill levels.

I am also relieved that no one was hurt....that top(the front pillars)collapsed a lot more than I thought they would. But, in any case, what about the possibilities of a "Project Soft Top"? Cut the top off and have a custom soft top made up. Lots of potential. It would be better than before ;)
ZUK

See this link Convertible 80

View attachment 1603250

View attachment 1603287 View attachment 1603288 View attachment 1603250

Now we're talking......I like that idea.

I grew up on gravel and dirt roads in Iowa and I drove fast everywhere I went. It was not unusual to drive 80+ on fresh graded roads. That's why my CB handle was "Hot Wheels"

The key on soft roads with loose material on top is that you don't fight the steering wheel. You drift WITH it, like driving a boat.

If you see yourself drifting toward a berm, you drive INTO it, not fight against going over it. You're running tall sidewall tires and they can take the flex and height.

The lower tires pressures and heavily loaded high up definitely contributed here to the sway. Once the rear tire caught the berm and tripped, it was all over.

Next time you're driving down the highway and see skid marks, note where / how the skid changes. Most commonly, as soon as a person feels the RF tire drop into the ditch, they jerk it back, it throws it into a slide, they catch a wheel and it trips.

If that person would have NOT fought it, went with it into the ditch a LITTLE, then eased it back out, they would NOT have had the problem.

I have intentionally driven into a ditch before at 70 MPH dragging a trailer because the trailer tires grabbed the edge of the road and about jacknifed me. I went with it, drove in hard, and eased it back out, doing about 50 when it cam back out. No damage other than my shorts.

My brother and I were coming home from school in our 68 4x4 Chevy K20. He looked down at something on the floor and pulled the steering wheel to the left, driving us into the left ditch. This was a steep ditch. Had he fought it, we WOULD have rolled. He went with it, drove it in hard, jumped the berm into the frozen chisel plowed field, and we slid sideways about 40 MPH across the field. We hopped out, checked for leaking fluids or blown tires, found nothing, jumped back in, and drove around the field until we found a driveway and got back on the road.

My one pound bag of peanut MM's found their way into the defrosters, behind the seat, down my shirt..........

Driving a 6000 lb, full time four wheel drive, lifted, high center of gravity vehicle 50 mph on graded dirt is reckless. Maybe that’s a better clarification.

What’s the hurry?!?! When I’m out wheeling I’m not in a rush. I’m relaxing.

Call me crazy but I’ve never rolled a vehicle or flopped one or lost control of one.

Driving a 6000 lb, full time four wheel drive, lifted, high center of gravity vehicle 50 mph on graded dirt is reckless. Maybe that’s a better clarification.

Call me crazy but I’ve never rolled a vehicle or flopped one or lost control of one.

Yeah, I wasn't "wheeling" when I was doing that. I had people to see, places to go.......... I was also under 25 YO........

Nor have I ever rolled or flopped. Just a few "originally unintended off-roading" sessions.

LCP drives 90Mph everywhere he goes! :doh:

I commonly hit 40-45mph on gravel washboard roads in a unloaded 80 (stock height, stock tire pressure, no additional weight). At say 25mph the washboard roads are brutal and once you pass 35-40mph the vehicle smooths out significantly. I agree with @BILT4ME that you have to go with the flow if you catch a deep spot vs trying to swerve out of it.

With that said its sometimes easy to forget how quickly things can go south and in the future I'll scale it back a bit. I imagine 25mph with aired down tires would be safer than 45mph without.

Been thinking about this. How do you get out of this type of situation? Do you floor the car and power out of the fishtail? I have watched many police car chases and seen many get out of PIT hits, or similar sways and wondered how best to recover?

When riding dirt bikes, I was taught, "If in doubt, power out." i.e. give it gas.
I've used the same principle many times on 4 wheels, on and off road.
Also been taught to drive in a gear that leaves you 10-20% of your useful torque/ RPM unused so you can stomp on it and power out of the poop.
Full time 4x4 makes a huge difference with this stuff too

Driven wheels are going to give more control than coasting, or braked wheels. Then some careful corrective steering.

Easy to say, takes experience and presence of mind to do in practice when SHTF. Spilt seconds make a huge difference

I'm guessing you've never driven Saline Valley Road. It's 80+ miles from one end to the other. I wasn't in a hurry but I wasn't planning on taking all day to get where I was going. There are many roads like that in the west. Dozens of miles (or more) long, relatively wide and flat. Driving on them isn't wheeling, it's travel.

I'm in a Jeep Wrangler JKU, not a Land Cruiser but it is lifted on 35" (aired down) tires and weighs ~6,000 pounds. It also has a roof rack and roof top tent mounted. I've never rolled either. I put in thousands of miles per year on dirt roads and wheeling. I (and others) routinely travel these roads at speed and accidents are rare. I'm not reckless. I know my vehicle and I know my abilities.

I'm guessing you've never driven Saline Valley Road. It's 80+ miles from one end to the other. I wasn't in a hurry but I wasn't planning on taking all day to get where I was going. There are many roads like that in the west. Dozens of miles (or more) long, relatively wide and flat. Driving on them isn't wheeling, it's travel.

I'm in a Jeep Wrangler JKU, not a Land Cruiser but it is lifted on 35" (aired down) tires and weighs ~6,000 pounds. It also has a roof rack and roof top tent mounted. I've never rolled either. I put in thousands of miles per year on dirt roads and wheeling. I (and others) routinely travel these roads at speed and accidents are rare. I'm not reckless. I know my vehicle and I know my abilities.
@LS1FJ40 is just jealous because he drives a 3fe, would take him 80 miles to get up to speed. :flipoff2:

A few thoughts...

1) The 80 was designed in the mid 80's on paper and the roof pillars are woefully under engineered for a roll over
2) Roof top loads should be avoided at all costs to maintain COG
3) Dogs should be contained in vehicle e.g. Vario Cage
4) An 80 is not a vehicle for inexperienced drivers
5) My guess is that a 100 is attractive due to perceived improved safety - VSC etc
6) The 100 series A-Pillars are only marginally more robust - a 200 is much more significant
7) Happy that everyone is ok!

Like a vulture circling the freshly dead, I already called Luke about parting out.:hillbilly:
yall-got-any-more-of-them-fzj80-parts.jpg

@LS1FJ40 is just jealous because he drives a 3fe, would take him 80 miles to get up to speed. :flipoff2:

My 3FE is a garage queen now. The 93 sees all the duty. But I already stated this wouldn't happen in a 3FE.

I have actually driven Saline Valley Rd. When I picked up my 93 in LA I headed up through Fossil Falls and cut over through DV and hit it during the Super Bloom. I've driven a few miles of western dirt roads...

The key part of your phrase is "I know my vehicle and I know my abilities."

The time difference between 35mph and 50mph over 80 miles is 45 minutes. If I'm in that big of a hurry I'm not traveling a dirt road or somebody is dying.

What the hell are you carrying in your Jeep that weighs 2250lbs?!?! Oh wait, spare parts. Nevermind. :rofl:

Ahhh. Well, that's what happens when one assumes! At least you know the road though. Your math is right but of course 50 miles per hour is generally the top speed, not the average speed so it's not quite that clear cut. Regardless, to each his own. I'm comfortable with my driving.

As for the Jeep... all I can say is that I carry less spare parts than the Land Rover guys. Actually, it's all upgrades and gear for 10+ days off road plus plenty of stuff for my buddy Justin Case...

25550352_363906707391026_173619313877684673_n.jpg

My 3FE is a garage queen now. The 93 sees all the duty. But I already stated this wouldn't happen in a 3FE.

I have actually driven Saline Valley Rd. When I picked up my 93 in LA I headed up through Fossil Falls and cut over through DV and hit it during the Super Bloom. I've driven a few miles of western dirt roads...

The key part of your phrase is "I know my vehicle and I know my abilities."

The time difference between 35mph and 50mph over 80 miles is 45 minutes. If I'm in that big of a hurry I'm not traveling a dirt road or somebody is dying.

What the hell are you carrying in your Jeep that weighs 2250lbs?!?! Oh wait, spare parts. Nevermind. :rofl:

I saw the pictures before you posted, what a relief you are all okay!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom