Trekboxx Half Alpha drawer system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrekboxX

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey guys,
A recent PM conversation prompted me to post this for your consideration. We are finishing up the prototype of a fridge-half only system for the 200. Even though we've had plenty of requests for this system, I was hesitant. A few years ago I had quite a few requests for a half system for the 100. I made it and the sales were poor to say the least!

This system had some decent design challenges. You see, the 200 is actually 2.5" narrower between the wheel wells than the 100. This puts the fridge half of our regular Alpha well past the midline of the vehicle. So, for those folks who need to run one of the 3rd row seats we needed to do some magic to get a decent sized fridge to fit.

For the walls and shelf we switched to 1/8" laser cut aluminum plate. We lowered the drawer slides to be nested next to the shallow drawer with some tricky bits. As you will see, both the locking slides for the fridge slide and the shallow drawer are accessed at the shallow drawer level. This allowed us to keep 19.75" of fridge area width, minus some mounting hardware that will protrude into the space.

The shallow drawer will run our newly standard stainless lift-hinge setup. I will post updates as we get further along. I'd love to get your feedback!

David

1596822698138.png

Hmmm........the bugaboo for me and drawers/slide has always been that I have keep the right side of the cargo area available to occasionally re-install one 3rd row seat. My LC is currently being used by my son's family on vacation but when they get back I'll measure my rather wide fridge to check on exterior width with its "jacket". This could be interesting.

Very cool! While I don't have any intention of reinstalling either of the third row seats I am exited to see a narrow fridge design since our camping style is well suited to a modestly sized fridge or cooler. I have been mulling over a drawer system for a while and the only thing keeping me from ordering the Alpha is that the divider is past mid-line and I need more space for two Huskies (they are okay snuggling up).

Sure I could go with the Beta, install a drop slide and retrofit a barrier but I really like the lower CG of the Alpha and having a shallow drawer with the new linkage-actuated Richlite surface. So....is there any chance that this new design could transform into a "narrow-fridge" Alpha system?

Love it so far, can’t wait to see it fitted on a 200! I’m a big fan of the full sized Alpha drawers so I imagine these will turn out great. Don’t think I can ever afford one but i do appreciate the build quality and all the thought that went into designing and production of them. Keep up the great work and I hope this one will be more successful for you!

Hmmm........the bugaboo for me and drawers/slide has always been that I have keep the right side of the cargo area available to occasionally re-install one 3rd row seat. My LC is currently being used by my son's family on vacation but when they get back I'll measure my rather wide fridge to check on exterior width with its "jacket". This could be interesting.
This will still put us in the 18.75-19” range, but that’s about as much as we could get without cutting plastic.

Very cool! While I don't have any intention of reinstalling either of the third row seats I am exited to see a narrow fridge design since our camping style is well suited to a modestly sized fridge or cooler. I have been mulling over a drawer system for a while and the only thing keeping me from ordering the Alpha is that the divider is past mid-line and I need more space for two Huskies (they are okay snuggling up).

Sure I could go with the Beta, install a drop slide and retrofit a barrier but I really like the lower CG of the Alpha and having a shallow drawer with the new linkage-actuated Richlite surface. So....is there any chance that this new design could transform into a "narrow-fridge" Alpha system?

Not sure. Actually, another announcement I need to make is that our latest 200 Alpha has a wider fridge area, not narrower. As time passes people want to install larger and larger fridges. The new version accommodates the Dometic 75 dual zone which is popular. However, I was able to make the fridge area 1” wider without losing any space in the large drawer. But going back to an even thinner fridge area (and the R&D that goes with it) seems unlikely. I can do custom work but try to discourage it- it gets costly.

I would definitely discourage a drop slide setup in your case. They are very wide for what they are. You’d most likely have less space than an Alpha.

Another note- any drawer system that covers the wheel well area will give your pups more room (floor space) than the floor itself. I’m sure you know this, but it is a discussion I have a lot.

Love it so far, can’t wait to see it fitted on a 200! I’m a big fan of the full sized Alpha drawers so I imagine these will turn out great. Don’t think I can ever afford one but i do appreciate the build quality and all the thought that went into designing and production of them. Keep up the great work and I hope this one will be more successful for you!

Thank you!

I really like this solution a lot as long as it’s priced materially below a full drawer system. I would definitely be interested depending on price, and I don’t have expectations of it being inexpensive.
Well, it’s definitely the expensive half! I’ll have numbers soon.

Looks nice. I am in for a half drawer system, but my parameters are a bit different. Right now 3 kids + a 90# dog really limits my options - typically to keep the kids from fighting my daughter sits in the 3rd row with the dog, so one seat is down and he occupies the other. What I want may not work for you, but I'll throw it out here anyway since maybe your design is easily adaptable and I'll get lucky

My goal is to put the seat down on the right and the drawer on the left, similar to your design, so that's a good start :)
  • I don't have a fridge (we pull a trailer, so while I do keep a drink cooler in the truck it's just an $80 Igloo). Instead of a fridge 'd like the dog to use the drawer as a platform, which would give him a bit more space, when my daughter uses the 3rd row seat. So basically in this case it's just a half drawer system
    • I'm not sure the height of your drawers but to me the ideal height is the same as the rear seat folded down (horizontal) and latched to the floor, but without the seat back vertical. That way if I have something wide I can put the right seat down and folded and then have a big platform to lay it on
  • When my daughter is not in the vehicle, I'd like the dog to use the right side with the 3rd row seat up, and ideally have the metal panel between the drawer and seats (2nd and 3rd row) but removable/reinstallable - either with bolts, latches, or some other method. In this way if we travel with gear but aren't using the 3rd row for humans I can secure cargo above the drawer, but if we have a mix of humans and pets they aren't separated by a metal wall
    • The additional benefit of it being removable is that I regularly buy stuff from Home Despot in which I need to fold all the seats down for transport (i.e. 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood). If the metal grid is removable then I can still do this, but if it's part of the frame then I can't

Looks great! It will go to exactly the halfway point? I'm trying to figure available width remaining on passenger side between 1/2 alpha and 3rd row stowed.

Keep up the great work!

I wonder how this would look in my 08 LX with the 2nd and third row removed. It’d be cool to see someone do a modular build where you can expand your drawer system into the 2nd row, to give people the option of removing 1 or both second row seats And expanding the system into there. I know it’s low demand for 2nd row drawers, but it’d definitely be cool to have a “2nd row 40/2nd row 60 add on” as an option, and have the 3rd row system be your “base system”.

If you ever want to let the prototype go for cheap/let me do payments on it, then let me know. I’d love to take a closer look/show everyone (via my stream) just how well built and thought-out this system is. I remember the first time I saw it (when I still had 2nd row), I immediately fell in love. If money wasn’t a factor then it’s a no brainer for sure; it most certainly lives up to its name!

Last edited:
Looks nice. I am in for a half drawer system, but my parameters are a bit different. Right now 3 kids + a 90# dog really limits my options - typically to keep the kids from fighting my daughter sits in the 3rd row with the dog, so one seat is down and he occupies the other. What I want may not work for you, but I'll throw it out here anyway since maybe your design is easily adaptable and I'll get lucky

My goal is to put the seat down on the right and the drawer on the left, similar to your design, so that's a good start :)
  • I don't have a fridge (we pull a trailer, so while I do keep a drink cooler in the truck it's just an $80 Igloo). Instead of a fridge 'd like the dog to use the drawer as a platform, which would give him a bit more space, when my daughter uses the 3rd row seat. So basically in this case it's just a half drawer system
    • I'm not sure the height of your drawers but to me the ideal height is the same as the rear seat folded down (horizontal) and latched to the floor, but without the seat back vertical. That way if I have something wide I can put the right seat down and folded and then have a big platform to lay it on
  • When my daughter is not in the vehicle, I'd like the dog to use the right side with the 3rd row seat up, and ideally have the metal panel between the drawer and seats (2nd and 3rd row) but removable/reinstallable - either with bolts, latches, or some other method. In this way if we travel with gear but aren't using the 3rd row for humans I can secure cargo above the drawer, but if we have a mix of humans and pets they aren't separated by a metal wall
    • The additional benefit of it being removable is that I regularly buy stuff from Home Despot in which I need to fold all the seats down for transport (i.e. 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood). If the metal grid is removable then I can still do this, but if it's part of the frame then I can't

I "may" do a regular half single drawer system for the 200, and we might be able to work something out for you. However, it's easy to get into custom upcharges with stuff like this. As your post shows, everyone has their own use case. As a business, even though my systems are custom to the vehicle model, they are semi-production. This is the only way to keep costs even where they are. Look at all the other makers - they have "fit kits", etc., but essentially make a few different box sizes and shoehorn them into a bunch of vehicles. My systems fit each model exactly and share very few if any dimensions/parts with each other. The half system here, for example, has over 30 hours of CAD work alone. Even at a very reasonable rate you're looking at $2k+ just for the computer work. I love to do custom stuff, but I try to steer people away from large changes because usually they do not understand the costs involved and just think I'm trying to rip them off.

Looks great! It will go to exactly the halfway point? I'm trying to figure available width remaining on passenger side between 1/2 alpha and 3rd row stowed.
Yes- right at the halfway point

Keep up the great work!

I wonder how this would look in my 08 LX with the 2nd and third row removed. It’d be cool to see someone do a modular build where you can expand your drawer system into the 2nd row, to give people the option of removing 1 or both second row seats And expanding the system into there. I know it’s low demand for 2nd row drawers, but it’d definitely be cool to have a “2nd row 40/2nd row 60 add on” as an option, and have the 3rd row system be your “base system”.

If you ever want to let the prototype go for cheap/let me do payments on it, then let me know. I’d love to take a closer look/show everyone (via my stream) just how well built and thought-out this system is. I remember the first time I saw it (when I still had 2nd row), I immediately fell in love. If money wasn’t a factor then it’s a no brainer for sure; it most certainly lives up to its name!
Thanks. I have a second row 60/40 platform setup. Not drawers, but hatches. You can run either seat or both. Also have a "kicker" that extends the platform over the console area for even more sleeping room. It's not on the website because frankly I haven't had the time. I have a lot of stuff that's not on there! I'll get my act together one of these days!

IMG_5813.JPG

I "may" do a regular half single drawer system for the 200, and we might be able to work something out for you. However, it's easy to get into custom upcharges with stuff like this. As your post shows, everyone has their own use case. As a business, even though my systems are custom to the vehicle model, they are semi-production. This is the only way to keep costs even where they are. Look at all the other makers - they have "fit kits", etc., but essentially make a few different box sizes and shoehorn them into a bunch of vehicles. My systems fit each model exactly and share very few if any dimensions/parts with each other. The half system here, for example, has over 30 hours of CAD work alone. Even at a very reasonable rate you're looking at $2k+ just for the computer work. I love to do custom stuff, but I try to steer people away from large changes because usually they do not understand the costs involved and just think I'm trying to rip them off.

Thanks. I have a second row 60/40 platform setup. Not drawers, but hatches. You can run either seat or both. Also have a "kicker" that extends the platform over the console area for even more sleeping room. It's not on the website because frankly I haven't had the time. I have a lot of stuff that's not on there! I'll get my act together one of these days!

View attachment 2401892
Oh, not sure how i missed the 2nd row add-ons, but NICE!!! Sorry if i missed this as well, but what about a Kicker to extend my head out the rear end?? Would be nice to have a panoramic view when sleeping at the beach on a cool night! Maybe extend it far enough to let it rest on the edge of the tailgate? I would think the further the better in this case though. On a nice cool night with no bugs and a beautiful view, i'd want to stick my head out as far as i can!

Also, i can help you with the website stuff! After the IceCo group buy stuff, one of my next project is to start my own website, and one of the things i have experience with is managing a website with thousands of products. I had to spend a lot of time looking into ways to cut down on time required to manage each product, as well as ways to manage thousands of listings easily. I basically build my site in excel and from there manage all of my listings (including images). Basically you just want 1 excel spreadsheet to work with that has every piece of info needed to populate your listing, and edit that, then you upload the excel file and update listings that way.

Then you use formulas in excel and external macros to do things like create a custom UPC# for 5000 products in just a few minutes, copy from another window and paste into excel to automate filling in values, or add Manufacturer name to hundreds of products in less than a minute. You don't need to deal with thousands of products, but the idea is that even with 100 products, it is better to manage them in bulk rather than individually. I can change the name of 1000 listings faster than some can change the name of 1, because they are editing each one individually; now imagine if they had to do 100!

Last edited:

View attachment 2401892
What size National Luna fridge do you have? What's the largest NL fridge I can put in? I'm looking at the NL 72L.

Given how far away I am, I personally wouldn't want to try to go custom on it. No offense, it would just make final fitment and any adjustments required a PITA. Maybe I'm seeding future ideas/direction (secure but easily detachable cargo barriers, for instance). In general you seem to have most of the individual parts for the 200 to do the half drawer (zulu 1 drawer module, half of a wing kit, divider... cargo barrier would need to be cut in half and be bolted/welded to the divider) though I have no idea how it all fits together and if you could do it as a half drawer or if mounting would be an issue.

View attachment 2401892
Wow I would love that single side set up to be combined with a single platform behind it, IM really excited about this fridge draw slide. Less excited about the price but I also understand the cost of R&D and materials but damn, its costly. What gonna be the ball park figure for the half slide?

Oh, not sure how i missed the 2nd row add-ons, but NICE!!! Sorry if i missed this as well, but what about a Kicker to extend my head out the rear end?? Would be nice to have a panoramic view when sleeping at the beach on a cool night! Maybe extend it far enough to let it rest on the edge of the tailgate? I would think the further the better in this case though. On a nice cool night with no bugs and a beautiful view, i'd want to stick my head out as far as i can!

Also, i can help you with the website stuff! After the IceCo group buy stuff, one of my next project is to start my own website, and one of the things i have experience with is managing a website with thousands of products. I had to spend a lot of time looking into ways to cut down on time required to manage each product, as well as ways to manage thousands of listings easily. I basically build my site in excel and from there manage all of my listings (including images). Basically you just want 1 excel spreadsheet to work with that has every piece of info needed to populate your listing, and edit that, then you upload the excel file and update listings that way.

Then you use formulas in excel and external macros to do things like create a custom UPC# for 5000 products in just a few minutes, copy from another window and paste into excel to automate filling in values, or add Manufacturer name to hundreds of products in less than a minute. You don't need to deal with thousands of products, but the idea is that even with 100 products, it is better to manage them in bulk rather than individually. I can change the name of 1000 listings faster than some can change the name of 1, because they are editing each one individually; now imagine if they had to do 100!

We can make whatever you can dream up. All it takes is money!

What size National Luna fridge do you have? What's the largest NL fridge I can put in? I'm looking at the NL 72L.

I don't think so- the 72 is 20" wide I think. This will have 19.75" lateral space.

Given how far away I am, I personally wouldn't want to try to go custom on it. No offense, it would just make final fitment and any adjustments required a PITA. Maybe I'm seeding future ideas/direction (secure but easily detachable cargo barriers, for instance). In general you seem to have most of the individual parts for the 200 to do the half drawer (zulu 1 drawer module, half of a wing kit, divider... cargo barrier would need to be cut in half and be bolted/welded to the divider) though I have no idea how it all fits together and if you could do it as a half drawer or if mounting would be an issue.

Yeah, it's more complicated than that. A Zulu drawer is not the same as the system drawer. Mounting, overall dimensions, wing and wing face mounting- they are all different. Again, I can build whatever, but for production systems I unfortunately have to cater to the 80% of customers vs the 20%. We're a niche in a niche market.

Wow I would love that single side set up to be combined with a single platform behind it, IM really excited about this fridge draw slide. Less excited about the price but I also understand the cost of R&D and materials but damn, its costly. What gonna be the ball park figure for the half slide?

Don't know yet, but a regular Alpha is $5k and this has most of the cool parts that go into it. Once I get a LINE-X price I'll be able to come up with a figure. I can say that it will be more than $2500 for sure.

Just to confirm will the cfx75 fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom