tread depth question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's looking like we'll be getting a 2017 GX 460 and I will likely be getting tires soon, staying around stock size.
The tires we have on other rigs are either toyo open country AT III or wildpeak AT III, I've been happy with both.
On my 2005 tundra the wild peaks are "c" rated and came with 18/32" of tread depth.
In looking at those same two tires for the GX in say, 265/65/R18 the tires only have 13/32's in SL load range. Am I missing something or should I just accept nearly 40% tread depth from the start?
Even though we drive a lot of gravel roads I'm not interested in "E" range tires.
Also what the heck is "XL" load range?
Thanks for your input.

It's looking like we'll be getting a 2017 GX 460 and I will likely be getting tires soon, staying around stock size.
The tires we have on other rigs are either toyo open country AT III or wildpeak AT III, I've been happy with both.
On my 2005 tundra the wild peaks are "c" rated and came with 18/32" of tread depth.
In looking at those same two tires for the GX in say, 265/65/R18 the tires only have 13/32's in SL load range. Am I missing something or should I just accept nearly 40% tread depth from the start?
Even though we drive a lot of gravel roads I'm not interested in "E" range tires.
Also what the heck is "XL" load range?
Thanks for your input.
I would go on Tire rack and compare different brands and you can also check the specs. on each tire. XL is extra load but C load rated would be better in my opinion you can run a SL tire if you don't plan on heavy towing or loading up your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom