TRE aluminum snatch blocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone use these? they look good and offer a weight savings over conventional snatch blocks. Pricey. US made. Appears to be quality. Maybe good choice between the aluminum pulleys and heavy conventional snatch blocks.

I am considering buying some synthetic winch extension rope from these guys. More economical than Warm Spydura extension.

Why are you avoiding the synthetic only recovery rings? Tests show them not much draggier than a bearing snatch block, particularly the larger diameter ones.

Why are you avoiding the synthetic only recovery rings? Tests show them not much draggier than a bearing snatch block, particularly the larger diameter ones.
I'm not. Not worried about drag. I have a factor 55 pulley. The knock against them is that the line can come off the pulley easily. I've tested this theory, and allowing my line to totally slack I could never get the line to come off the pulley so I'm not convinced that is a real problem, at least for the Factor 55 pulley. The little rubber teeth really work. I didn't test a shallow angle with only say, 22 degrees of line on the pulley. I will try that sometime. I could see that being a potential issue. I can see situations where a regular style snatch block is what you may want so having one in my kit seems like I want.

I admit that suddenly being worried about 6 lbs of weight is silly given the hundreds of pounds I carry in parts and tools.

I'm not. Not worried about drag. I have a factor 55 pulley. The knock against them is that the line can come off the pulley easily. I've tested this theory, and allowing my line to totally slack I could never get the line to come off the pulley so I'm not convinced that is a real problem, at least for the Factor 55 pulley. The little rubber teeth really work. I didn't test a shallow angle with only say, 22 degrees of line on the pulley. I will try that sometime. I could see that being a potential issue. I can see situations where a regular style snatch block is what you may want so having one in my kit seems like I want.

I admit that suddenly being worried about 6 lbs of weight is silly given the hundreds of pounds I carry in parts and tools.
Variety is the spice of life! I still carry an old style snatch block (10lbs?) in case I need to loan it to a wire rope winch to help get me out, and so a triple pull? could be set up with that and a recovery ring.. And I don't even have a winch mounted at the moment.

I carry two AEV snatch blocks that look similar. They were recommended by an I4WDTA instructor that I respect. I like the fact that they're soft shackle friendly. But they are not light like the ones you posted.

I took a recovery course last year with 7P Overland and we reviewed all kinds of recovery gear and MBS ratings. I added some additional items to my kit after the class.

Another snatch block option, although pricey:

Recovery rings with soft shackles are another lightweight option:

It was also the first time I had seen Whoopie slings that are adjustable:

Speaking of awesome gear. Two of these allow you to hand belay a recovery (and other clever things).

We used them in advanced recovery training to let a jeep down out of a (contrived) hillside recovery situation with no drama. They'd be so handy to have.

Very cool, but not $300 worth of cool for me at the present time.

Speaking of awesome gear. Two of these allow you to hand belay a recovery (and other clever things).

We used them in advanced recovery training to let a jeep down out of a (contrived) hillside recovery situation with no drama. They'd be so handy to have.

Very cool, but not $300 worth of cool for me at the present time.

I've seen these but only for shortening a too long extension rope. $300? you need two for the belay maneuver?

Depending on the load, I think you can do it with one, but the second provides an extra measure of safety. With one x-lock there wasn't enough friction to slow the rope enough, adding the second made it possible to effortlessly lower the jeep. It was a very steep slope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom